Group Toolbar Menu

Forums » General Discussion » Introductions!

Now that the group has one more member that's not me and my alts, I figure that means I should open some sort of howdy-do introduction thread.

So, hello to anyone else who might join, but for now just Shadrach Devon (or Ms Draca, whichever you prefer)! Always nice to see others who go the dimensional alteration route as your profile seems to describe.

Anyhow, the introduction. I generally go by m1 or my (not yet, but eventually) myriad of character names. But m1 offers some cross-site cohesion, so I'll stick to that. I ramble alot.

I also generally go for the near future or alien planet routes for SF RP, and tend to avoid anything with too much of a military theme or the Standard SF Setting, which I won't link again because I'm not so mean as to throw people to TV Tropes a second time. Is there any particular type of sci-fi you like to RP?
Just to clearify: MsDraca is the player here and Shadrach Devon is one of my characters.

Shad is probably the only character I have right now that I can see being used for Sci-Fi RP over any of my other characters. I haven't had much chance to RP in a Sci-Fi setting yet. Part of this may be that not as many people want to play with a mute or more often the Sci-Fi setting being used or at least heavily borrowed from for the RP is one I am not familiar with.

The only Sci-Fi I really know would be Star Trek, basic Star Wars(original trilogy) and more recently the new Dr. Who series.

Shad is not based off The Doctor but the whole ending up in random places is similar though in Shad's case there is no time travel involved, usually.

I'm trying to be flexible with Shad. I've rewritten his history in my head countless times and then decided to say all the different conflicting versions were so due to cosmic meddling. One of his half-brother's being a god in all but name with more powerful family members made it possible(they existed in the background before I made them pick on Shad for no real reason).

Getting back to the topic - I'd be fine with made up aliens and made up tech that players invent together or something that borrows from Star Trek or Dr. Who more than other pre-existing Sci-Fi worlds. I understand that this limits me a little but unless I know the setting it's hard to make a story since I don't know what can and can't be done or what is normal for the setting.

Hope this makes sense. Sorry if I ramble(sometimes I edit the worst bits out but not always).
Gah. Sorry about vanishing for two plus weeks.

Anyhow! Yeah, I know which is which. I just wasn't sure which you preferred to be called by.

That's a shame, though. Lots of interesting opportunities when playing with a mute (I played as one, long ago. Was not very good at it, myself, though). And I don't think I've ever played in a canon or firmly defined sci-fi setting, and try not to borrow too much because I hate trying to remember which is which in both regards, especially if I am unfamiliar with it. Much prefer the "make things up as you go along" method, and as I try to avoid hard SF in my RPs, so long as it sounds science-y I'm good.

I actually try to avoid Star Trek or Star Wars based RP, as I don't particularly like starships or epics in my my games much as I might like the original. In regard to Star Trek, at least. Not a big fan of Star Wars. Doctor Who, though, I likewise admit to borrowing the "adventures through time and space" premise for the Stranger to kind of get him to where RPs are happenin'. Is a very convenient tool, though I changed "time and space" to "alternate dimensions" to make room for fantasy and alternate time lines and the likes. And of course, his appearance is based off of John Simm/the Master. As such, I can't even say I'm trying to be original.

That's actually a pretty interesting way to go about reconciling the variations, having cosmic meddling involved. And of course having to deal with all those oddities must be pretty fun and sounds like it makes for a very colourful backstory.

I probably wouldn't borrow from Star Trek, again, just because I'm not that big a fan of star-ship RP personally. Doctor Who is probably the weakest of weaksauce sci-fis out there, though, which is great because it does leave a lot of wiggle room if borrowed from and already has a tonne of variety. Then again, completely un-borrowed settings probably give the most wiggle room, even though I've seen some people make bizarrely detailed and hard SF original settings, which impressed me, but kind of warded me off from playing if I'm having to remember and fact-check what Name did This Event or what Tech has That Effect. I'm very much a wing it type person.

And we can ramble on together as we both have a penchant for it. Fortunately, you're crystal clear. And speaking of settings, let me take a gander at your plot ideas post next.
Could of sworn that I'd replied to this.
Guess I didn't.

I usually go with m1's methods though, just roll with the punches and such. Not too big on fandom RP when it comes to Scifi though.