Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: God of Nature

Hey there, folks! I've been thinking of making a godlike character for a while, but I have done absolutely nothing with the concept because I'm not quite sure what to do with it... Sooo I could use your help!

So, what I've got thus far:

• The character is male.
  • The character is a deity of nature, or at the very least, he is worshipped as/considers himself one.
  • From the waist-down, the character has the lower half of an animal. Something like a centaur or a naga!

The rest is up to you guys! Personality, powers, possible weaknesses (He may be a god, but we don't want him to be a Mary-Sue, of course!) and some basic ideas for a design! (I don't need a complete design, but throw some ideas at me and I can fill in the blanks from there!)

Alrighty, that's about it! Have fun! :D
Ilmarinen Moderator

Maybe he has a huge, long beard that is constantly blooming with vines, leaves, berries, and flowers native to his location--they could even change with the seasons. He could be a god of a small and specific patch of nature. Generally characters like this tend to be depicted with a forest aesthetic, so you could switch it up and give him a different flavor with a different biome! Maybe a coastal saltwater marsh, so he always has sandpipers and egrets around him. :D
Oh, I love characters like this!

Maybe fitting with the marsh theme, his lower half is a snapping turtle's body, so he's like a turtle-centaur. He can be slow on land but very fast in the water! Maybe he likes to eat fish and clams, too?

Maybe he's a bit scary on the outside, especially since he's carnivorous and possibly takes offerings of bones, but he's actually quite calm and pacifistic? Perhaps he considers it his job to protect the young marine critters in his environment, so he's like a godfather to them.
I love the sea theme, so I'm going to build on it. It's really just a list of random bits that could be used to build something a lot more coherent.

Perhaps his lower half is a seal or sea lion, able to move on land but quite clunky. I'm thinking he lives in a somewhat colder climate, think like 50 latitudes and up in the northern hemisphere. Silver, grey, mossy green, and deep blues for colors maybe with hints of black. Considering he would be some sort of sea god in a colder climate I'm thinking a bit on the heavier side since he'll need some insulation. Since most seal species are polygynous, perhaps he is a huge flirt or likes to collect large groups of friends. Some seals have mottled skin/fur so perhaps blotchy freckles could be a cute nod to that.
The character's lower half could be that of a lion's (dark/white/golden), or maybe a tiger. I'm thinking his environment is similar to that of African forests/savannahs or India. He's got long and slightly messy, big hair.

His weakness is the forests, rivers and living creatures of his lands. When the forests are burned down or die out, when the rivers run dry and when life is slaughtered in vain, he hurts. People who worship him, hunters who hunt, they pray to him and bless him for their kill, where nothing goes to waste of the animal.

His personality is righteous and somewhat objective (if that makes sense). While he has kind eyes and a warm smile, his attitude is that of a fatherly figure who is always lecturing his ignorant son. He's a deity who's been around for long, so he can come off as ignorant at times. He's not that patient a person either, especially when it comes to other deities. He's a person who would rather spend time alone to gain more knowledge. Yet, he's a helpful person.
My first thought upon reading the title was "haha what if they were like Viridi, hated humans and often tried to destroy them?"
My second thought, because you want him to have the lower half of an animal, was to make him a deer centaur. If so, he'd probably be pretty speedy and agile, and have a vicious kick. To go with this idea, maybe he doesn't have antlers, since his top half is human, but maybe he wears fake ones made of branches? Or real ones from a creature that either shed them, or that this guy killed.
I think it would be funny if he wasn't actually a god, but claimed to be one. Or if he was a minor god but pretended to be much more significant.
This suggestion is a half-joke but what if he was a moose centaur and acted very stereotypically Canadian?
Oh and for some reason I'm thinking he's not a very nice guy. The "get off my lawn!!!" type except the whole world is his lawn. (Which goes back to the Viridi thing.) Of course on the other hand he could be the most calm, peaceful, zen guy to ever exist. Very serene and chill.. Oooorrrr maybe he switches between the two at a blink of an eye, and no-one can ever be sure how he'll act at any given moment. Very unpredictable like that.
That's all I have for now. Head is empty and kitten is trying to help me type.
What if he's like Leshy? He has the best interest of nature at heart, which includes some humans, and loves to play pranks? And not in the Marvel Loki way or Impractical Jokers way. He uses very specific wording and special, harmless traps that both him and the "victim" can laugh over? An example would be like this; He sets up a rope/net snare trap that traps an adventurer, yanks them around(not enough to really hurt), and then he reveals himself and laughs with the person, then subsequently let's them down and helps them find their way? I have an old, OLD oc that has a similar personality, and I though I might put the discarded character to use somehow lol
Struggling to get back to sleep at 5 a.m. and had another idea...
What if this god (and other deities of this world too, if they exist) can only hold power as long as people believe in and worship them? If no-one believes in them, they will become weak and inevitably die/disappear forever. This guy's always promoting his own brand because if he doesn't he will LITERALLY fade from existence, and he doesn't much care for the idea of that. If there are other deities, you could even put a more sinister twist on this: not only is he trying to strengthen peoples' belief in him, but he's also trying to make the other gods seem obsolete, so that they will disappear? Eliminating the competition and such.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Collaborative OC: God of Nature

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus