Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » How does one deal with the depression/burnout?

Weasel334

Hello everyone! I dont know if this can be seen as a question for an opinion, or maybe a rant, or both, but I've been thinking lately and it's been kind of making me depressed, and I might need help...

I've been a major multi to novella roleplayer for so long, started during the time of Myspace and AOL if that tells you anything, that I've jumped from site to site, always looking to make friends, roleplay, and everything else in between. However, it just seems like as of late, things have been quiet on here to the point where it's been kind of depressing. I dont know if it's maybe me, or my life schedule, or my partners, or whatever the case may be, but lately it's been super quiet on here that I dont know if I need a break, or maybe cut back my roleplay standards to get roleplays going again, or maybe finally call it quits.

I just feel so alone right now. When I even have OOC conversations with my partners, depending on the partners, those conversations are so wonderful that I love talking to them, but other times, it's like I only get one word answers and makes talking so forced that it's not fun. Maybe it's all in my head and maybe my fault, but I dont know...

What do I need to do...? What can I do...?
2793b69f22c2b80efedcb7a130acdd88.jpg

:hugs: I have gone threw similar things so bad that I actually left RPR for a year. deleted my name and everything I like to make new characters or I just go do something else for a bit like play games, read. sometimes you just need to fill your battery up. Or talk Foodons with me. lol. you are my dear friend I love yah much. !squish your face!
There's nothing you're at some kind of fault for, and you aren't alone in this experience. Dealing with some version of this issue has been particularly widespread of late, and it sounds like it could even be pushing into being self-reinforcing for you (again, you're not alone; I'm merely noting a guess I'm making).

Sometimes, pushing harder is the best thing to do; other times, all that will do is exhaust you even more, and I'm not sure how easily those cases can be differentiated. It could be that giving yourself a break, long or short, could help you. Maybe you just need to relax a bit with some potential sources of inspiration - books, shows, games, other hobbies, etc. Another possibility could be casting a wider net - getting involved in other communities, maybe even local ones where you can participate in person (whether you then try to get them to also join here is entirely up to what feels right to you). And I know that in some cases, I'm not able to proceed with anything until I "close" whatever seems to be the problem, basically just dropping it from whatever sense of "to do" it's a part of in order to reduce the sense of burden; no plan to return to it, just done (and if I do happen to get back to it at some point, awesome).
Weasel334 Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
There's nothing you're at some kind of fault for, and you aren't alone in this experience. Dealing with some version of this issue has been particularly widespread of late, and it sounds like it could even be pushing into being self-reinforcing for you (again, you're not alone; I'm merely noting a guess I'm making).

Sometimes, pushing harder is the best thing to do; other times, all that will do is exhaust you even more, and I'm not sure how easily those cases can be differentiated. It could be that giving yourself a break, long or short, could help you. Maybe you just need to relax a bit with some potential sources of inspiration - books, shows, games, other hobbies, etc. Another possibility could be casting a wider net - getting involved in other communities, maybe even local ones where you can participate in person (whether you then try to get them to also join here is entirely up to what feels right to you). And I know that in some cases, I'm not able to proceed with anything until I "close" whatever seems to be the problem, basically just dropping it from whatever sense of "to do" it's a part of in order to reduce the sense of burden; no plan to return to it, just done (and if I do happen to get back to it at some point, awesome).

I appreciate everything youve been saying :) It helps out alot.

I use to do volunteering during my days of college, and made a few friends, but outside of classes and volunteering, those 'friends' I've had turned more into acquaintances than anything, and it was really disheartening since I volunteered with them for a year and a half.

Sometimes I've had roleplays though where they are beautiful, multi-paragraph, even novella, and they last for a long time, but then all of a sudden, it slows down to the point where I almost never hear from them again, or if I do, it's very seldom, and it can be disheartening because I've built such a great friendship with them, and then all of a sudden, I feel like I get thrown away for something else. Something either that has come up or something thats out of their control or whatever. But at the end of it all, I just feel like those friendships I've had are gone and it makes me feel so disheartened.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » How does one deal with the depression/burnout?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus