Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Do you know any other active roleplaying sites?

Does anyone know if there are other active roleplaying sites, or groups...? As long as I can do 1x1 rp's...
Well, there are many groups on RPR, some of which have members that don't play in the main areas.

Other places I know of... I know a lot of our users also play on Furcadia. I assume that GaiaOnline still has an active RP community, although I found the place to be pretty toxic. There are parts of Tumblr where folks RP. I've heard of RP happening both in MMOs and in the forums for MMOs. Facebook has had RP communities, but Facebook's TOS does not support RPing and they've frequently ousted RP groups (specifically, setting an account up with a fake name is a no-go).

I'm sure others will have better answers. Most of the places I've been are either dead now or weren't very pleasant places to be.
I also RP over on recolor.me, and on there people advertise that they RP over Gaia, Google Docs, and email sometimes.
Skrifa

I used to be on Valucre...they were a fun group, but I had to leave due to time-management issues.
Rogue-Scribe

I was on Roleplayer.me for a year, and I met a lot of wonderful writers, but I found the actual mechanics of the site hard to use for writing, and very little actual RP went on with me there. It is ad-heavy unless you pay the premium, which only removes ads. I prefer to pay here and gain the extra character slots. I also looked into CreativeFreedom.com but found this place at the same time and opted to register here. Good thing too as it seemed to have become a ghost town. I only wish I went searching for new sites in 2010 and found this place then.
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
I was on Roleplayer.me for a year, and I met a lot of wonderful writers, but I found the actual mechanics of the site hard to use for writing, and very little actual RP went on with me there. It is ad-heavy unless you pay the premium, which only removes ads. I prefer to pay here and gain the extra character slots. I also looked into CreativeFreedom.com but found this place at the same time and opted to register here. I only wish I went searching for new sites in 2010 and found this place then.

I just came from roleplayer.me and had the same experience as far as roleplay not happening. Aniroleplay.com focused solely on anime rp and had a little more activity, but not by much.
Queen_of_Hell

Roleplayer guild is where you want to go. It's a good site.
Hades_

Just dumping my two cents;The rp community on tumblr is a terrifically toxic place that I will never offer recommendation for.
As someone who wrote there for about 6 years;avoid it at all costs. Female characters are generally avoided, OCs are not loved unless they are random ocs, and even then if the character is not sexually appealing and male, your character and you will have a bad time.
The community is highly cooperative, lazy, and prone to only accepting of those that can heavily format posts with aesthetically pleasing icons or character pictures in every si gle roleplay post.

It is not worth suffering through.
Sonamyfan Topic Starter

Queen_of_Hell wrote:
Roleplayer guild is where you want to go. It's a good site.

i've been there before, but not a lot of people roleplayed with me, so i left :/
Sonamyfan Topic Starter

Juls wrote:

eh...not a lot of people roleplayed with me on there, but i guess i could try again
coloholicsanonymous.com comes highly recommended if you have a thick skin, they have a tendency to tease new members.
Sonamyfan Topic Starter

AlexSilverX wrote:
coloholicsanonymous.com comes highly recommended if you have a thick skin, they have a tendency to tease new members.

O.o no thx
Claine Moderator

PrettySir wrote:
Just dumping my two cents;The rp community on tumblr is a terrifically toxic place that I will never offer recommendation for.
As someone who wrote there for about 6 years;avoid it at all costs. Female characters are generally avoided, OCs are not loved unless they are random ocs, and even then if the character is not sexually appealing and male, your character and you will have a bad time.
The community is highly cooperative, lazy, and prone to only accepting of those that can heavily format posts with aesthetically pleasing icons or character pictures in every si gle roleplay post.

Tumblr doesn't suit my current RP needs (I want to RP non-fandom OCs) - which is why I don't RP there at the moment. However, I did RP there from about 2012-2015 and this wasn't exactly my experience.

- Female characters tend to get swarmed by hornbags. However mxm definitely makes up the vast majority of the relationships.
- I played in an OC-heavy fandom, and most people preferred them over the canon characters. However, I can't imagine playing a non-fandom OC. It'd just be straight impossible.
- I don't have hyper attractive OCs, and didn't have trouble finding RP. However, I do tend to have a bit of a goofy play-style so this certainly helps.
- I've noticed the highly formatted posts have become the norm since I left. I don't have the patience for this. But yeah at the time I just dumped text in a text box.
- However, if you didn't have a nicely formatted page with a good layout, connection page, profile, faceclaims / original art, you didn't have a chance to get any RP.
- Very cliquey. There were definitely a lot of groups who just played amongst themselves, and people desperate to break into them. I also encountered drama when one clique too closely resembled another??
- Everybody is hyper-shy. But once I realised how insecure and desperate for RP everyone was it became really easy to approach others. People WANT you go to make the first move, and are too afraid to do it themselves.

I did enjoy it and I'm still good friends with about 3 people I met here! Because you see active RPs on your dash, it gave a nice community feel. You could see what other players were doing around you, and you'd have people commenting on antics from other RPs in the community. There was plenty of opportunity for quick silly stories. But I think if you want to RP on tumblr you have to
- Know your boundaries and enforce them.
- Be willing to approach other people for RP. Have starters up your sleeve.
- Don't turn it into a competition.
- Keep your nose out of OOC drama.
Sonamyfan Topic Starter

Claine wrote:
PrettySir wrote:

Tumblr doesn't suit my current RP needs (I want to RP non-fandom OCs) - which is why I don't RP there at the moment. However, I did RP there from about 2012-2015 and this wasn't exactly my experience.

- Female characters tend to get swarmed by hornbags. However mxm definitely makes up the vast majority of the relationships.
- I played in an OC-heavy fandom, and most people preferred them over the canon characters. However, I can't imagine playing a non-fandom OC. It'd just be straight impossible.
- I don't have hyper attractive OCs, and didn't have trouble finding RP. However, I do tend to have a bit of a goofy play-style so this certainly helps.
- I've noticed the highly formatted posts have become the norm since I left. I don't have the patience for this. But yeah at the time I just dumped text in a text box.
- However, if you didn't have a nicely formatted page with a good layout, connection page, profile, faceclaims / original art, you didn't have a chance to get any RP.
- Very cliquey. There were definitely a lot of groups who just played amongst themselves, and people desperate to break into them. I also encountered drama when one clique too closely resembled another??
- Everybody is hyper-shy. But once I realised how insecure and desperate for RP everyone was it became really easy to approach others. People WANT you go to make the first move, and are too afraid to do it themselves.

I did enjoy it and I'm still good friends with about 3 people I met here! Because you see active RPs on your dash, it gave a nice community feel. You could see what other players were doing around you, and you'd have people commenting on antics from other RPs in the community. There was plenty of opportunity for quick silly stories. But I think if you want to RP on tumblr you have to
- Know your boundaries and enforce them.
- Be willing to approach other people for RP. Have starters up your sleeve.
- Don't turn it into a competition.
- Keep your nose out of OOC drama.

lol yeah i'm definitely not going to rp on tumblr. i actually made an account like a year or two ago, but everything was confusing to me, so i left
I can assure that, of the plethora of them out there, RPR stands as one of the best if not the best of the sites.

Of the sites that are actually dedicated roleplaying sites alone (e.g. Gaia Online is a place to RP, but it is not designed roleplayed on as a general rule):

Aniroleplay:
+Myspace 1.0 format
+Free profile customization.
-Limited to one message per user
-Limited to one character per email
-Mods who don’t enforce their rules
-Toxic and perverted community, which the mods don’t enforce.
-Overloaded with ads.

I was on aniroleplay for six years before finally moving away to the (now defunct) RPG.

Roleplay Tavern:
+Multiple characters
+Decent mods
-No mature content filters (be prepared to see A LOT of mature content)
-Very confusing layout.
-One message per user
-One character per email.
-90% of the community wants ero rps and nothing else.

There was also Roleplayers’ Guild (Not the one mentioned above), but they’re officially defunct. They were great, actually, but still not nearly as good as RPR is. The only advantage they had over RPR is unlimited characters without paying for additional slots.
Leela

I’ve tried IwakuRoleplay, and I’d say they’re a lot like RPR, they have forum rps and private. However they have red forums and blue forums, so if you do not want to role play with people under 18, you join the red forums. The blue forum is for people under 18. Do note you can role play with someone under 18, but the forums basically exist for people under 18 who do lemon and people over 18 who do lemon. The rules are way more lax there, and you can swear as you like basically, just no NSFW without explicit tagging and stuff. Overall, they’re very friendly and have all types of role players, so there’s no shortage of options. If anyone wants to add onto what’ve said, feel free to.

Recently they’ve gone through updates to make the process smoother of using it, however I still prefer RPR’s simple and intuitive layout and the easy to use forums/forum posting. Back when I used iwaku, it was overly complicated to do a post in my opinion. I think after the recent update it’s better?
Rogue-Scribe

I went and had a look around the webz today, and those 'Top RP Sites' rating sites are pretty whacked. There are several that seem to constantly rank up there, yet you go to the site and very little is happening. They usually have a small active core of users who are more into voting up their site than actually communicating and roleplaying with people who register.

There is Inner Sanctum and Black Dahlia, but site asthetics and ease of use doesn't even come close to this place. I think I'm sold on RPR just for the character pages alone!
While, it is mainly a writer's community, might I suggest YWS? They aren't super active in the roleplaying, but I'm usually active on there!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Do you know any other active roleplaying sites?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus