Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Real Pictures

I have a small question as I am updating my characters and I might not have gone back far enough but I did try to find the rules for pictures and such and look back far enough in the forums so I didn't post this again but I might have missed it--

Question:

What are we allowed to use as far as character pictures go? I know the rule goes to make sure we are allowed to play characters and such in Fandoms and everything but as far as pictures go-- as long as we have permission, give credit to the artist is it okay? Also what about using actors and actresses and such as references, is that okay?
Sanne Moderator

Hi!

Basically, all content you upload to the RPR needs to be something you're allowed to use legally. Stock photography and images of models who provide such photography are okay to use as long as you have the proper license for them. (Certain stock photo sites allow you to use images freely without restrictions for example, whereas for others you have to pay money to use the images, or you need to meet a certain set of criteria to be able to use them. It's your responsibility to figure out what you're allowed to use and how you're allowed to use it!)

The rule on this has been elaborated here:
Quote:
RP with fictional characters only

We are primarily a site for fictional characters. We do not allow the creation of characters based on other real life humans. We believe that human beings should have as much right to say how their identity can be used as players have to ask that other people not copy and use their original characters.

We make exceptions for respectful portrayals of historical characters (typically defined as over 100 years dead) or accurate references to/minor NPCs of real life public figures that provide contextualization of plots that occur in the real world.

So as long as you're allowed to use the image, and you're only playing a fictional character that uses that person's looks but isn't actually being played as that person, it's okay to do so. :)
ABrokenCrow Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
Hi!

Basically, all content you upload to the RPR needs to be something you're allowed to use legally. Stock photography and images of models who provide such photography are okay to use as long as you have the proper license for them. (Certain stock photo sites allow you to use images freely without restrictions for example, whereas for others you have to pay money to use the images, or you need to meet a certain set of criteria to be able to use them. It's your responsibility to figure out what you're allowed to use and how you're allowed to use it!)

The rule on this has been elaborated here:
Quote:
RP with fictional characters only

We are primarily a site for fictional characters. We do not allow the creation of characters based on other real life humans. We believe that human beings should have as much right to say how their identity can be used as players have to ask that other people not copy and use their original characters.

We make exceptions for respectful portrayals of historical characters (typically defined as over 100 years dead) or accurate references to/minor NPCs of real life public figures that provide contextualization of plots that occur in the real world.

So as long as you're allowed to use the image, and you're only playing a fictional character that uses that person's looks but isn't actually being played as that person, it's okay to do so. :)

Awesome, thank you, that's what I was curious about.

You are on: Forums » Help » Real Pictures

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus