Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Custom Character Template Clinic

Kim Site Admin

Hello all! If you are a creator of a custom template that is not working correctly after the update, this is the place to ask for assistance in fixing it up.

Please link to an example character that is using the template, and describe the exact issues you're having with it.

Do you have "do not load the default CSS" checked?
Then to support the new columns and rows feature, you will need to add this somewhere near the top of your CSS: https://www.rprepository.com/help/custom-templates#426 to enable columns as well :)

If you DO NOT have "do not load the default CSS" checked, then you don't need to do anything. Columns and rows should just work.
Hello there! I have a template I made, and have been using for a while with two variations. (Silver and Gold)

Silver is seen here: https://www.rprepository.com/c/diana
Gold is seen here: https://www.rprepository.com/c/leo

The silver one was 'updated' with this button:
fIIO1YN.png

The gold one has not been updated yet, because I wanted to test around and see if anything broke on Silver-- and something did! If you check out the Silver theme on Diana and mouse over 'indepth' the dropdown on the pagetabs flies away to the side.

C3ziya3.png

I've tried everything to adjust it back into place, but I just can't figure out how to realign the dropdowns so they fall inline with the main pagetab. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Claine Moderator

I am doubling down on this issue. It happened to me pre-upgrade and the upgrade has not magically made it go away.

https://www.rprepository.com/community/forums/topic/78112?page=1#post-4987112
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

@Claine, can you link me to a character that has that template active? :)

@Madam

Absolutely positioned elements, like the dropdown menu, are positioned relative to their first parent element that uses a "position" rule. It looks like you added position: relative; to the #charheader, so the dropdown menu is positioning itself in reference to that, rather than to the edge of the browser window.

As far as I can tell, you did this to move the entire #charheader up a bit. However, this is unnecessary, as you are doing so in order to compensate for a margin that is on the character name.

Remove position: relative; from #charheader, and on h1#characterName, change margin-top: 50px; to something like margin-top: 10px;

You'll get the same look, but without wonky dropdowns. :)
Testing Ground (played anonymously)

Kim wrote:
@Claine, can you link me to a character that has that template active? :)

Whoops sorry! It's back on this profile now.

Claine,

I think the only way to do what you want to do is to remove your absolute positioning from #alltabs. I would create a background image for the header that is the EXACT height that you want the header area to be, and then use margin to move alltabs away from that background image. That way, it will appear to end where you want it to end, but still live inside its parent div. Does that make any sense?
Claine Moderator

I understand! I'll give it a shot! Thanks for your help :)

Sure! Let me know if you need anything more from me :)
Kim wrote:
@Madam

Absolutely positioned elements, like the dropdown menu, are positioned relative to their first parent element that uses a "position" rule. It looks like you added position: relative; to the #charheader, so the dropdown menu is positioning itself in reference to that, rather than to the edge of the browser window.

As far as I can tell, you did this to move the entire #charheader up a bit. However, this is unnecessary, as you are doing so in order to compensate for a margin that is on the character name.

Remove position: relative; from #charheader, and on h1#characterName, change margin-top: 50px; to something like margin-top: 10px;

You'll get the same look, but without wonky dropdowns. :)

Ahh thank you for the help! That was such a simple fix, I feel kind of silly I missed it. Thank you <3

You are on: Forums » Help » Custom Character Template Clinic

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus