Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Design Me a Pirate (Canceled) (CLOSED)

We did not get the minimum number of entries. Unfortunately this won't be happening. Apologies to the three people who were looking forward to it. Maybe some other time.

Note: At least four people need to enter for this to go foward.

information
So I did this way earlier on in the year or perhaps in the summer I can't quite remember... Where I held a contest to design and draw a character based on personality and career descriptors, and the art that 'won' or more so was chosen (which was very very difficult to decide let me tell you) was used for that character, and the artist won a prize.

I am doing a similar thing now because it's just do much fun to see what people come up with!

Except this time it's a little different:

This one is 'Design me a pirate!'

You won't be going off a personality, or name, or anything of the such. Pirate can be male or female and appear any age from 18-50.

As usual the basic is that the art that is chosen will be used for a character created, named, played ect by me and all other art is then free to be used by it's artists once the contest is over. Winner gets their choice of: wand of epicness, dragons tooth, or a masquerade mask name change token + a character slot.

Official Contest countdown starts on January 1st, taking entries until January 20th, with winner announced by the 31st; but entries can be entered before the 1st, I just figure people are pretty busy the end of this month.

Art Type rules:

1. Art must be digital.

2. Art must be full body and at least flat colored as a minimum to keep things fair in judging so there's no one who has a uncolored sketch but someone else who has a rendered piece.

3. Art must be completely original.

The main criteria for the pirate are simple:

1. said pirate must be a historical-based pirate, no sci-fi unfortunately.

2. said pirate must be of a non-average body type. However to interpret this is up to you!

3. said pirate must have at least 1 'visible disability' ie: blind in an eye, missing a leg, foot, arm or hand, ect.

4. This is a very personal preference based in respect, so please respect it if you join this contest; no full head dreadlocks on pirates that are not of color or black. Braids and other mixtures of such are fine.

How I will decide:

Judging let's be real is going to be very heard because it's mostly based on my heart, which all of you are bound to steal. Not on anything fancy like 'line weight' and 'brush choice' and 'sophistication of the blah blah'

It'll mostly be based on:

1. Originality/flourish: is there something special, eye catching, about your design, the pirates clothing?

2. Inspiration: does your pirate inspire a name, history, backstory, idea, in my head when I look at them? Can I imagine where they've been and what their life has been like?

3. Let's be real, my heart does the most deciding. Who the heck knows what it's gonna fall in love with, just have fun with your art!

How to Enter:

Reply to this forum thread that you are in fact entering, and with any questions you have.

When you are done, place a high quality but not entire page filling image of your art entry in a collapse tag in your entry post by 11:59pm eastern time zone January 20th.

Entries:

Crystaldragon126
AmberShades
Mintelle
I would love to enter this contest!

I do have a question though. When you say 'doesn't fill up the entire page', what sizes would be more appropriate then? I'm a little more new to digital art and not sure how big to make the canvas lol.
MercyInReach Topic Starter

Crystaldragon126 wrote:

I do have a question though. When you say 'doesn't fill up the entire page', what sizes would be more appropriate then? I'm a little more new to digital art and not sure how big to make the canvas lol.

Hi! The art can be any size, just if it's like 3000 x 5000 canvas then a secondary version that's resized to fit better for judging is best.

I usually resize my art using ribbet. So you'll have the original and then the resized if that makes sense.

A width of 800-1000 is usually best for the forum.
MercyInReach wrote:
Crystaldragon126 wrote:

Hi! The art can be any size, just if it's like 3000 x 5000 canvas then a secondary version that's resized to fit better for judging is best.

I usually resize my art using ribbet. So you'll have the original and then the resized if that makes sense.

A width of 800-1000 is usually best for the forum.

Alright, thank you! :D I didn’t know I could do that outside of photoshop and stuff, and I don’t have photoshop at home for drawing lol. I use the free version of Sketchbook Autodesk.
AmberShades

Hey! This Sounds Fun! I'll Enter!

Question
How Does One Link A Picture Without Linking A Website? I Understand How To Link A Website In Order To Show A Drawing Or Picture, But I Don't Quite Understand How To Place An Image Under A Collapse Tag. ; 3 ;
AmberShades wrote:

Question
How Does One Link A Picture Without Linking A Website? I Understand How To Link A Website In Order To Show A Drawing Or Picture, But I Don't Quite Understand How To Place An Image Under A Collapse Tag. ; 3 ;

Not joining this contest, but wanted to respond to AmberShades here!

You can post images somewhere like Imgur, and then use a [ img]URL HERE[/img] tag, but without the space in that first bracket there c:
This should come up with an image instead of a link c:

Mind you, some websites don't work for these tags; Imgur and Tumblr images definitely work though if push comes to shove c:
Deviantart works for me, but I've heard it doesn't work for others, so perhaps hit or miss on that one :c
AmberShades

DarkCrow wrote:
AmberShades wrote:

Question

Not joining this contest, but wanted to respond to AmberShades here!

You can post images somewhere like Imgur, and then use a [ img]URL HERE[/img] tag, but without the space in that first bracket there c:
This should come up with an image instead of a link c:

Mind you, some websites don't work for these tags; Imgur and Tumblr images definitely work though if push comes to shove c:
Deviantart works for me, but I've heard it doesn't work for others, so perhaps hit or miss on that one :c

Gotcha! Thank You For The Help! <3

Note: At least four people need to enter for this to go foward!

Only a handful of days until the countdown starts ^-^
I'll join!

Only two more days until this starts but only if we have four or more people - one more person is still needed for the minimum for this to go forward.
Agh, I saw this only a bit too late. What a shame.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Design Me a Pirate (Canceled) (CLOSED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus