Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » A few tips while I figure this out?

Since forums are so new to me I hope I put this in the right place.

As I stated in my intro I love using rps to help me develop my stories and characters....however my writing skills are lacking. Before I go posting an rp request I would like a few tips on how to make my character's profiles better. At the Current moment Nasr has the most filled in.

The files I know are....unorganized and basic. Will be changing that over time as it takes a LOT of time and effort on a phone. Little done each days should make them look nice in time....anyway I digress...please check out character files and offer advice on how to make them better. I would like to improve.
I honestly can relate....as a truck driver 90% of my rp existence is done through my phone. That being said I took a look at Nasr real quick (about to take off for work but saw this post) and honestly the only advice I could suggest would be to perhaps on the first page combine the physical state and basic info, it seems like information relevant enough to each other they could both appear before the description.

You're welcome to look at my characters to get an idea of how I've layed things out mostly using a phone but some of them arent actually even started yet, more of just created a profile for the character in the Hope's to build them as they appeared in a public forum rp or something. I'll say my character Siira was made using my laptop though, and I've been going through trying to rebuild each of them on a laptop.

Good reason for that too because since you're new you probably dont know about the site rebuild we just had. The character creation stuff has all been reworked and if you are able to do any of it on a computer you'll see theres actually quite a few additional options and things to do! I feel you though, my computer time is pretty limited thanks to my job. Still it's not the end of the world I think of 100% of character creation can only happen on mobile, but as a grandfathered user I'm dying to use new features you see XD
Sanne Moderator

This is the right place! :D

I personally think the bottom line of what makes a profile good is when it meets these criteria:

- It's accessible. That means it's easy to read, with large enough text, and there's no important information only present on an image because people with screen readers who can't see or see poorly can't read text on images, only actual text.
- There is enough information to get an idea about the character. The Character Wizard does a good job of setting you up with the basics, but in general I try to ensure I have a basic physical description, some core personality traits, the character has hobbies or an occupation listed, and maybe a visual reference if I have one. A history or connections to other characters are also helpful.
- Playstyles and other related info are present. That means some info on how you like to RP, what you're looking for, what you're not looking for, and maybe how often you expect to post or respond.

If you have this as your foundation, you can populate it with whatever content you like and still have a really good profile in my opinion. :)
LunarValravn Topic Starter

Voldarian_Empire wrote:
I honestly can relate....as a truck driver 90% of my rp existence is done through my phone. That being said I took a look at Nasr real quick (about to take off for work but saw this post) and honestly the only advice I could suggest would be to perhaps on the first page combine the physical state and basic info, it seems like information relevant enough to each other they could both appear before the description.

You're welcome to look at my characters to get an idea of how I've layed things out mostly using a phone but some of them arent actually even started yet, more of just created a profile for the character in the Hope's to build them as they appeared in a public forum rp or something. I'll say my character Siira was made using my laptop though, and I've been going through trying to rebuild each of them on a laptop.

Good reason for that too because since you're new you probably dont know about the site rebuild we just had. The character creation stuff has all been reworked and if you are able to do any of it on a computer you'll see theres actually quite a few additional options and things to do! I feel you though, my computer time is pretty limited thanks to my job. Still it's not the end of the world I think of 100% of character creation can only happen on mobile, but as a grandfathered user I'm dying to use new features you see XD
Sadly my computer has crashed and I don't have internet for the computer anyway. Hopefully that will change in time.

I took a look at some of your characters and quite enjoyed how you have it set up. For one the detailed info you have for your races. I did set up some info like that for Nasr but you have given me some ideas on how to enrich that page. Is my curiosity seeker note needed for such a page or would you deem it useful info?

I also quite like your character claims....if that's the right way to put it. Would you mind if I adopted that tactic? "Original species are not to be used/created without permission"?

Thanks both of you for the useful tips. I regret deleting some info on the pages now but will constantly work to improve the profiles.
LunarValravn wrote:
I also quite like your character claims....if that's the right way to put it. Would you mind if I adopted that tactic? "Original species are not to be used/created without permission"?

To be quite honest with you that's not a tactic I own or anything and I've seen others use it too, but if you were concerned it would bother me for you to use it I would answer not at all :) Feel free to add this addendum to your creations as well without concern.

As for the curiosity seeker note you might be asking the wrong person haha. Truth is my biggest passion is designing races so I love writing all my little things out and I rather enjoy learning about other new races, particularly the ones I rp with, too. I'd say anything you deem important for someone else to know about your race probably should remain forefront such as looks, abilities, special features, perhaps certain mannerisms that would commonly be portrayed? The rest can be in a curious seeker thing like you have there.

In case you're interested, I went with a slightly different strategy myself (because I tend to go a little crazy writing out races sometimes). To illustrate what I've done you can reference my Voldarian Racial Page to see. I created a new character just for the races I have, then at the tip I placed a kind of shorthand quick notes with the finer points of said race. Below it I added all those juicy details that I didnt think would often come up in an rp. My Voldarians are a bit overwritten because they are truly my one big love, but for a better example of what a short list example might look like you can reference the Navin (please note the full length race date for the Navin hasn't been started yet).

I hope you find some of this helpful :)
Kim Site Admin

You might also find this article interesting: https://www.rprepository.com/help/kickbutt-character-profiles :)
LunarValravn Topic Starter

Quote:
In case you're interested, I went with a slightly different strategy myself (because I tend to go a little crazy writing out races sometimes). To illustrate what I've done you can reference my Voldarian Racial Page to see. I created a new character just for the races I have, then at the tip I placed a kind of shorthand quick notes with the finer points of said race. Below it I added all those juicy details that I didnt think would often come up in an rp. My Voldarians are a bit overwritten because they are truly my one big love, but for a better example of what a short list example might look like you can reference the Navin (please note the full length race date for the Navin hasn't been started yet).

I hope you find some of this helpful :)

Quite reference indeed! I would hate to copy but you have many good ideas on your character pages. Might be because I also love creating every detail of my races...any thanks again.

Thank you as well, Kim for the link.

After many hours of thinking and doing some changes I think one character is finally ready to be used. Though I still have much to do 😸

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » A few tips while I figure this out?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus