Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Thoughts on roleplaying as historical figures?

Is it a taboo of sorts? I've seen in some places it's a bit strange to roleplay as real people, especially if the person in question is still alive, but does anyone have opinions on roleplaying as a person who actually lived and is now dead?

The first thing that comes to mind with seeing historical figures being featured in roleplays is in musical fandoms such as Hamilton with America's Founding Father's and Six with Henry VIII's Wives- I've not seen many roleplayers of the latter, but I'm sure there's some out there. In regards to historical dramas, I've seen my share of those who roleplay characters from Turn: Washington's Spies, Versailles, The Tudors, and Vikings. I've actually written for a character from Versailles in the past and am currently writing another historical figure, both of which I'll keep unnamed, and while I first thought it strange to write someone who was real I tried to view them as characters from their respective media all the while doing actual research on them to make sure my portrayal of them was as accurate as I could make it. In time, they became simply 'one of my characters that I roleplay as' and it wasn't quite as strange to write for them.

I'm curious what others think on this, however. Is there a line to watch out for when roleplaying as historical figures and/or historical events and when, if ever, can it be crossed? Would you roleplay with someone who roleplays as historical figures or includes historical events in their plots?
Nah, this isn’t weird to me. Especially if the person in question is now deceased. I run a Western server on Discord that is pretty heavily realistic, and takes place in the real town of Tombstone, AZ, in 1880. Occasionally I will introduce and play real outlaws as side characters in RP. Never thought much of it, tbh.
When someone makes a historical figure, I'm always interested in reading it because I like to see their interpretation of that person! Everyone has different views and a different spin because people will hone in on or play more to certain aspects than others.

In my personal opinion, I think the line would be crossed if they weren't being very respectful of that figure that they were writing. Or if they try to portray that their version of that historical figure is the only version possible out there in the wide world of RP. And for me, it's only weird when people are playing/writing as a historical figure that's still alive.
Sanne Moderator

MasterWinter

Closest I come to rping as historical figures, is if I rp a game version of said character.

Take Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors. DW takes historical Chinese figures (like Cao Cao, Sun Jian, Liu Bei to name a small few), and turn them into character's for a cool hack and slash game while giving you a lesson about Ancient China.

SW is basically the same thing, only it's for Japan in the Sengoku era. There are figures like: Oda Nobunaga, Date Masamune, Hideyoshi Toyotomi and more!

Those are basically the only historical figures I portray, as do a few others.

There's only so much information to go on about the actual figure from history at times, like you find more information on the male's than females. So you mostly have to best guess how they were. It's kinda why Koei takes some liberties.

Sun Shangxiang from DW is made to be a tomboy, spunky type of character. Was she like that in rl? -shrugs- Not much is known about her, other than she was a child to the Lord of Wu, Sun Jian.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Thoughts on roleplaying as historical figures?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus