Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Thinking Group RP, seeking advice.

The Short Version: I'm thinking of starting a supernatural apocalypse setting RP and am looking for advice as to how I should go about it on RPR.
- - - - - - - - - -
The Long Version:
THE PLOT
Hunting down supernatural creatures isn't as extremely uncommon a hobby as one might think. Some even make it their livelihood. That said, it definitely never hit the mainstream... maybe that's how things turned out the way they did.
―The process to make a new hunter? Well, aside from having to make sure they have the constitution and aptitude for it, it can take anywhere between half to two decades of training and practice to get anything approaching decent, and other than the occasional supernatural tool and―if you have all the luck in the world―magical aptitude, the only path to progress is arduous training, experience, and oodles of dumb luck.
―The process to make a new monster? Give someone else a nibble. They'll get stronger with time regardless of what they do from there until they kick the bucket, and probably spread the state to at least one other person before anyone realizes it might be a good idea to expedite that process.
...I'm sure you get the picture.

Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, Ghouls, Wendigo, Arachne and Wraiths have this unfortunate tendency of spreading too fast to really temper the process in any significant manner, and concealing their supernatural nature being second―pardon the pun―nature to them means it's a bit harder even for a professional hunter to find them than it is for them to find prey. Somewhere along the line the populations became large enough for mutants, hybrids and variants to occur... and by the time it became significant enough a problem to be noticeable, it was too late to do anything about it.

It's not even about hunting anymore; it's about surviving as long as possible and taking a few down with you when you inevitably kick off the mortal coil.

THE CONCEPT
You probably got the gist of it from the plot but, essentially; this would be similar to a zombie apocalypse scenario in nature, pumped up to eleven by the existence of every supernatural creature that takes a "tag; you're it" approach to monstrosity transferal.

THE QUESTION
If I wanted to make this a group RP, where would be the best place to advertise it, and where would be the best place to put it, on RPR?

THE ALTERNATIVE
Do you think this could make for an interesting 1x1 or small group RP via PM?

Thanks in advance for your input!
AlexSilverX wrote:
THE QUESTION
If I wanted to make this a group RP, where would be the best place to advertise it, and where would be the best place to put it, on RPR?

Do you think you'll want/need multiple forum threads for the story?

If not, probably either the General RP or the Fantasy RP forums would work for the actual RP itself. It keeps it easy for other members to find the RP. And if you put (OPEN) in the title, it'll get a little open door to let others know the game is still accepting players.

If you'd like multiple threads going at the same time or if the RP will contain adult content, then I'd create a group. These will take a bit more up-front set-up work.

As for advertising, the Looking for RP forum is the place! Posting there will also make your RP show up in the 'Find RP' search results.
AlexSilverX Topic Starter

Juls wrote:

See more
Do you think you'll want/need multiple forum threads for the story?

If not, probably either the General RP or the Fantasy RP forums would work for the actual RP itself. It keeps it easy for other members to find the RP. And if you put (OPEN) in the title, it'll get a little open door to let others know the game is still accepting players.

If you'd like multiple threads going at the same time or if the RP will contain adult content, then I'd create a group. These will take a bit more up-front set-up work.

As for advertising, the Looking for RP forum is the place! Posting there will also make your RP show up in the 'Find RP' search results.
Thanks a bunch for the intel!
So, if you're going to do this, lemme suggest the following!

You're going to want clear concise rules about how to balance being a hunter vs being a supernatural. Typically in this sort of roleplay, the expectation is that someone has to be the loser, and most people struggle to allow their characters to lose if it's left up to them. A dice system, and/or a set of stats would be a good thing to set up. Alternatively, you can make it so that only NPC's can be killed, or that players must discuss and agree to such a thing if it's going to happen between two characters. People, despite their best intentions when it comes to settings in which there's fighting/possible death, often struggle to let go of their characters. And that's reasonable! They put time and effort into them.

Consider how large you want the group to become, too. If you want to have a small group, you can very easily just do a forum roleplay. If you want this to become a larger community, definitely make a group page. Discord's are also very helpful for ooc organization and chatter, but are not necessary.

Good luck! This sounds neat!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Thinking Group RP, seeking advice.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus