Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Can I Get Some Help Drawing Curly Hair?

Gab

Hey, y'all!

So, uh, I've been wanting to learn how to draw curly hair seeing as how I have a few characters with it, but I'm not really sure how to begin... can I get some help, please?

I did watch and follow this tutorial

And so, far, this is how I've done with testing it

hvEVWmd.jpg

Any constructive critiques would be welcome! Thanks!
Hi! So from experience drawing curly hair depends heavily on your own art style as well as mediums and type of curly hair. There's no 'wrong' way persay to draw curly hair if you like it and it works with your style and represents the character, but looking at your style and such, I decided to make at least one example of how you could do at least one type of curly hair that works for both digital and traditional, since I'm not certain which you do most. It's a rather simple way to do it, and is a good way to learn the shape of the hair, rather than jumping into something more complex immediately.

unknown.png

1. draw the shape of the hair, it's sort of cloud like. The shape I chose is a little retro but I like it.

2. fill in with a base color, usually lighter than you want the hair to actually be.

3. chose a few darker to lighter colors of similar shades, with the first one that is slightly darker than the base color, so spirals all around the base wherever looks nice to you. Then take the shade darker than that one, and do some squiggles around, not as much as the spirals. The for a bit of a highlight if you like, do some little short bumpy lines around the hair.
Gab Topic Starter

MercyInReach wrote:
Hi! So from experience drawing curly hair depends heavily on your own art style as well as mediums and type of curly hair. There's no 'wrong' way persay to draw curly hair if you like it and it works with your style and represents the character, but looking at your style and such, I decided to make at least one example of how you could do at least one type of curly hair that works for both digital and traditional, since I'm not certain which you do most. It's a rather simple way to do it, and is a good way to learn the shape of the hair, rather than jumping into something more complex immediately.

unknown.png

1. draw the shape of the hair, it's sort of cloud like. The shape I chose is a little retro but I like it.

2. fill in with a base color, usually lighter than you want the hair to actually be.

3. chose a few darker to lighter colors of similar shades, with the first one that is slightly darker than the base color, so spirals all around the base wherever looks nice to you. Then take the shade darker than that one, and do some squiggles around, not as much as the spirals. The for a bit of a highlight if you like, do some little short bumpy lines around the hair.

Thanks so much for the help! I'll keep this in mind when drawing!

Do you also have any tips for drawing looser curls? I do have a few characters with that type of hair as well.

Oh! and I draw digitally for the most part, by the way!
Gab Topic Starter

Alright, so! Tried the style I had been experimenting with on a character. It still needs to be colored and shaded, though. I think I did alright so far, tho :3

ii5hzIc.jpg

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Can I Get Some Help Drawing Curly Hair?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus