Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Dice use in RP.

RimCaster

Hello everyone!

It's my first post in long while, anyways I've come to ask you advice.

So I want to incorporate dice in my roleplays more mainly combat aspect and what not. I'm not that much experienced in tabletop so I'm bit troubled with it.

Which dice should I use 1d10/1d20 or 1d100?

What determines success and what determines failure?

Does each action requires dice roll?
There are a LOT of different tabletop games out there with a thousand different ways to use dice. (That's probably only a slight exaggeration!) :)

This help article has some nice suggestions: Using Dice to Enhance RP

Rimcaster wrote:
Does each action requires dice roll?

How often you roll is a bit of a personal preference and probably some trial and error. I think it's easy to over do it when you first start with dice. Personally, I like to only roll at very crucial junctures. Then it stays exciting and doesn't turn into a drag. (Which I think can happen easier on a forum than in real life sitting around a table where it only takes a few seconds)
I personally take a tab from Monster Of The Week where you use 2d6 and on a 10+ you get a success and everything goes as planned, a 7-9 gets a mixed success where you succeed, but at a cost. And, everything below a 7 is a failure. I personally only use it during combat haha.
Raspberry_Beret

I love using dice in my RP. For me, I like to use D20's for world choices, D10's for % of success rolls, and D6's for damage. I just find that this helps the probability of the encounter and gives a bit more fluidity to the idea that a world can have different outcomes based on probability.

Good luck with your RP! I hope whatever you chose works fantastically for your story.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Dice use in RP.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus