Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Modern, or cyber fantasy?

Hi everyone!

So, I love fantasy, and I absolutely love modern fantasy settings and such. But what about cyber fantasy? I feel like it's still rather unpopular/unknown, and I wanted to hear your thoughts on it. Which do you like or prefer? Have you ever wanted to try it but never got the chance or had a good plot idea? Chat with me peoples. I'd like to pick your brains!
ChebaTheBee

I've tried rp-ing modern fantasy before, but I'm not 100% sure I have ever heard of cyber fantasy (so I can't really tell which I prefer out of the two).

When it comes to modern fantasy, I've started this one story on Garry's Mod with a roleplay partner from this one game I play. Before that I've rp-ed that type of fantasy on this pet game that used to be on Facebook when I was a kid. I think the best plot was the one on Garry's Mod. This one interaction between one of my characters and my rp partner's robot was hilarious to me. XD But, maybe I could look up cyber fantasy and see if I could give it a shot at some point... C:
Ricochett Topic Starter

ChebaTheBee wrote:
I've tried rp-ing modern fantasy before, but I'm not 100% sure I have ever heard of cyber fantasy (so I can't really tell which I prefer out of the two).

When it comes to modern fantasy, I've started this one story on Garry's Mod with a roleplay partner from this one game I play. Before that I've rp-ed that type of fantasy on this pet game that used to be on Facebook when I was a kid. I think the best plot was the one on Garry's Mod. This one interaction between one of my characters and my rp partner's robot was hilarious to me. XD But, maybe I could look up cyber fantasy and see if I could give it a shot at some point... C:

I like to understand cyberfantasy(which i now realize may just be a concept i just came up with) is the cyberpunk setting, but with magical creatures involved with it, such as elves, dwarves, vampires, etc. So like modern fantasy, but with more futuristic elements, if that makes sense.
ChebaTheBee

Ricochett wrote:
I like to understand cyberfantasy(which i now realize may just be a concept i just came up with) is the cyberpunk setting, but with magical creatures involved with it, such as elves, dwarves, vampires, etc. So like modern fantasy, but with more futuristic elements, if that makes sense.

Oooh I see, yeah it makes more sense now. Thanks for explaining. :D
Shadowrun Is basically the closest thing to Cyberfantasy in my mind. Mainly high tech but with conventional magic and creatures involved still. It's a really fun theme though it can become overwhelming and a lot to take in depending on how you write it. I prefer it quite a bit over modern fantasy though.
Claine Moderator

I haven't seen the term Cyberfantasy before but all my active characters fit the bill. Half of them are created for the Shadowrun universe and half are for an original universe.

I mean what's better than magic guys with swords?

Magic guys with swords with sick cars 8)
I had to look up the term Cyberfantasy, but like Shadowrun, my OCs from the Secret World universe would also fit the bill. You have magic, supernatural creatures and elements as well as modern technology and a type of older more advanced technology powered by a source of magic called Anima that has started to break down and fail except when it merges with specific humans to create a new hybrid species.
I've done the occasional science fantasy, and I think some have had aspects that might qualify on the "cyber" aspect. Overall, though, while I definitely like a lot of things about science fiction overall (and its assorted variants), I always feel a bit out of my element trying to play them for some reason. I'm also not super familiar with the cyberpunk genre beyond some of the aesthetics and the typical base concepts it's used for (even though I drew this past year's "cybergoth plague raver" mascot). I feel like I'd need a lot of hand-holding to not just feel like I'm messing it up. ^^;
One of my characters is an alien techno-witch from another planet, so I think I've done some version of cyber fantasy before. I'm far more aligned with science fantasy, but cyber fantasy and science fantasy seem to have some shared elements that would fit well together.
Ricochett Topic Starter

Lucretire wrote:
One of my characters is an alien techno-witch from another planet, so I think I've done some version of cyber fantasy before. I'm far more aligned with science fantasy, but cyber fantasy and science fantasy seem to have some shared elements that would fit well together.

So would you say they are one in the same, or two different things?

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Modern, or cyber fantasy?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus