Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » What Questions do you ask your Roleplay Partner?

Hello!!

When someone replies to your ad (especially via pm), how do you start out your replies, and what questions do you ask your potential rp partner? Also, how do most of the people you come into contact with respond? (aka small or long replies, do they ask their own questions back?)
I ask about four base questions and remind them that if they want to quit the roleplay or fade to black to just let me know. I'm just wondering what other people ask and am trying to build my question reservoir ^^

Extra!
What do you usually ask when you are the one replying to a roleplay ad?
My most common questions are these.

What kind of themes, elements, and plots would you like to see in the story?
Did you have any particular ideas on how you wanted this to go?
What kind of limits do you have?
Can romance be ignored?

And likely the one I ask most often goes along the line of:
"Did you even actually read my post?"

Though if I'm replying to someone else, I always have tons of questions surrounding the lore and context of the situation revolving around the roleplay to a point that some people actually get seriously annoyed with the amount of questions I ask.

I honestly feel people need to ask more questions, but then they just don't and end up getting surprised later down the line.
Arjastro Topic Starter

RoundTableKing wrote:
My most common questions are these.

What kind of themes, elements, and plots would you like to see in the story?
Did you have any particular ideas on how you wanted this to go?
What kind of limits do you have?
Can romance be ignored?

And likely the one I ask most often goes along the line of:
"Did you even actually read my post?"

Though if I'm replying to someone else, I always have tons of questions surrounding the lore and context of the situation revolving around the roleplay to a point that some people actually get seriously annoyed with the amount of questions I ask.

I honestly feel people need to ask more questions, but then they just don't and end up getting surprised later down the line.

I feel the same way on the whole "I wanna ask more questions but feel bothersome" ordeal. ':) That's what I and my two main rp partners used to do and we honestly enjoyed it. Now I feel bad asking more than four or five questions when the other person seems like they don't care too much. I do wish others would ask questions too. <_<
Usually by the time anyone becomes a ‘roleplay partner’ with me, the man in questions have already been asked. If I add the word prospective as a prefix to ‘roleplay partner’ then the questions are many. I put out my preferences in writing style and expectations, and expect them to do the same. I got burned on a week of back-and-forth OOC only to find the person likes a totally different writing style which could have saved us both time and effort had it been expressed early on.

Questions I state and ask:
  • Age - I am over 21 and it is public on my profile. Any writing partner needs to state they are over 18 if they are anonymous or don’t t have their age public. This is in addition to the site failsafes of the adult LFRP forum and my adult age group selection
  • Perspective - I write 3rd person and expect my writing partner to as well
  • Availability - I state that my schedule is erratic due to RL schedules and that I will at least reply a couple times a week, and like to know what their availability and expectations are
  • Triggers - I state any things I don’t want to see in a prospective rp and expect the same.
These are only a few basics I like to get out of the way. I am in the process of developing individual roleplay info pages for each of my characters as well.
See my profile for full details but here it is in a nutshell:

-Are you legal age?
-Experience as a writer and RPer
-A writing sample
-Details about their planned character including hobbies, jobs, etc.
-What they know about the above and can they portray it in a believable way
-Availability
- What plot ideas they have
-Their goals for the story/game

People that give evasive answers or don't convince me they are worth my time don't hear back from me.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » What Questions do you ask your Roleplay Partner?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus