Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » IC Rumor Mill via Discord Bot

This has been such a cool addition to our game that I thought I'd share in case others that utilize a Discord Server might find it handy! Once per day, members can run the command !rumor to get some gossip.

RumorMill_inAction.png

The Setup:

I'm sure there are other Bots that allow custom commands, so if you've already got another general purpose bot, it might be worth investigating that before adding another one!

I utilized MEE6 : https://mee6.xyz/

1. Create a new Custom Command
  2. Name it !rumor
  3. Set the Action dropdown to 'Bot responds with'
  4. Choose 'Random'
  5. Populate the messages with potential rumors (MEE6 allows up to 25 50 at a time)

Screen_Shot_2021-11-09_at_8.32.21_AM.png

To limit the use to daily (or whatever interval you wish), set a User Cooldown on the command. I started with 24 hours, then later reduced it to 20 just to avoid having to run it later than I ran it yesterday.

Screen_Shot_2021-11-09_at_8.37.17_AM.png

Hope that's helpful to someone! It's kicked off a good bit of activity for us. Just gotta update the rumor mill once in awhile with some fresh stuff!

Edit: MEE6 has increased the number of messages that can be populated! I'm guessing it's 50, but will confirm when I reach the new limit!
I love that! That's so cool!
Juls Topic Starter

Thanks! Overall, folks seem pretty excited to see a new rumor about their character pop up - true or not. (The false and partially true ones tend to kick off the most discussion.)
Ooooo, this is neat! Actually gives me ideas for a loot drop table generator, too. Questions: Can the bot output multiple replies at once off of one command, and can a bot command itself?
Juls Topic Starter

Avitrathephoenix wrote:
Ooooo, this is neat! Actually gives me ideas for a loot drop table generator, too. Questions: Can the bot output multiple replies at once off of one command, and can a bot command itself?

Multiple Replies - Yes. You can click 'add action' a second time (and a third.. I'm not sure what the upper limit is, but I just tested 3 and that worked.)

Bot commanding itself - I think you are talking about chained commands, right? (If option A, then pick from options X,Y,Z. If option B, then pick from options U,V,W.) As cool as that would be, I do not know of a way for MEE6 to do this.
Does this bot have a limit for the amount of input it can take? i know with Dyno Bot some features are capped off, especially without premium.
Juls wrote:
Avitrathephoenix wrote:

Multiple Replies - Yes. You can click 'add action' a second time (and a third.. I'm not sure what the upper limit is, but I just tested 3 and that worked.)

Bot commanding itself - I think you are talking about chained commands, right? (If option A, then pick from options X,Y,Z. If option B, then pick from options U,V,W.) As cool as that would be, I do not know of a way for MEE6 to do this.

Yeah, I was thinking about chained commands, or at least kinda. If command 1 gives option A, option A includes a second action to say the phrase to call command 2, command 2 presents option V, etc. I know it wouldn't be an easy chain, but I'm not afraid of jank! >:3

That said, not working is not working, so it may just not be possible, prooobably to prevent people crashing things by setting infinite looping.
Juls Topic Starter

Folklore wrote:
Does this bot have a limit for the amount of input it can take? i know with Dyno Bot some features are capped off, especially without premium.

It does. I can only have 3 custom commands. And the random response action has a limit of 25 input items.
Juls Topic Starter

Avitrathephoenix wrote:
That said, not working is not working, so it may just not be possible, prooobably to prevent people crashing things by setting infinite looping.

I think you're probably right. I tried to make it recursive, but it did not trigger the event a second time.

Screen_Shot_2021-11-27_at_3.11.41_PM.png
Smart on whoever made the bot or the system the bot is made in. It could be that it specifically won't let the bot call the command with the same command, though it probably just won't let the command be called by itself.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » IC Rumor Mill via Discord Bot

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus