remember me
Register | Forgot Login

Forums > Help > Template Background Not Working

1 2 »

I ran into this issue when selecting templates, some of them the background fails to load on. It only seems to happen in Chrome, when I load it up in another browser it works. Anyone know the cause behind this?

Here's an image for reference.

http://cyrotronix.theworldisnow.com/images/broken.jpg

Your best bet it to find the person who made it and message them letting them know of the issue, as Kim has no control over custom templates made by others.

If it doesn't list being made by someone though, then do submit a bug report to Kim to let her know. :)

I just double checked the layout you've taken a screenshot of, and it works fine for me in Chrome. If the template shows up correctly in other browsers but only not Chrome, then the issue is within Chrome itself. The template maker can't really do anything about this.

Your best bet is to clear Chrome's cache and reload the template. Chances are, something went wrong when Chrome tried to load the template and cached it improperly, and now instead of fetching the actual data it's relying on the bad cache. Clearing this will force Chrome to download the data fresh and it should replace the bad cache with a good one.

Let us know if this works please!

I gave clearing the cache a try and it made no difference. The one I posted a screenshot of is not the only one I have issues with, there are quite a few of them that do the same thing. I've attempted to load it on a different computer as well as my phone and I still get the same result. I'm starting to think it must be something in my Chrome settings.

I agree with it likely being Chrome. Do you use any plugins? Since clearing your cache didn't work, the next thing I'd try is disabling all of your plugins at once and seeing if that fixes it. If it does, then you can sorta go through enabling them individually again to see what the Problem Plugin is.

Something else: have you noticed anything else common among the templates you have trouble with? That might help track down what's going on if settings and plug-ins don't turn out a result.

Cyrotronix wrote:
I gave clearing the cache a try and it made no difference. The one I posted a screenshot of is not the only one I have issues with, there are quite a few of them that do the same thing. I've attempted to load it on a different computer as well as my phone and I still get the same result. I'm starting to think it must be something in my Chrome settings.

Can you see the image when you click on this link? http://i.imgur.com/UzLBrtm.jpg

AJ_89 wrote:
I agree with it likely being Chrome. Do you use any plugins? Since clearing your cache didn't work, the next thing I'd try is disabling all of your plugins at once and seeing if that fixes it. If it does, then you can sorta go through enabling them individually again to see what the Problem Plugin is.

I tried disabling all of my plugins, but it made no difference.

Novalyyn wrote:
Something else: have you noticed anything else common among the templates you have trouble with? That might help track down what's going on if settings and plug-ins don't turn out a result.

The only thing in common that I notice is that its templates created by specific users. Of those users I have the same problem with any template they have created.

Quote:
Can you see the image when you click on this link? http://i.imgur.com/UzLBrtm.jpg

I can see the image when I click on the link.


One thing I did notice is that it works like it should when opened in Private Browsing.

Cyrotronix wrote:
Novalyyn wrote:
Something else: have you noticed anything else common among the templates you have trouble with? That might help track down what's going on if settings and plug-ins don't turn out a result.

The only thing in common that I notice is that its templates created by specific users. Of those users I have the same problem with any template they have created.

That's really odd. They're not doing anything weird or uploading images to strange places. Looks like it's just Imgur files.
Cyrotronix wrote:
Quote:
Can you see the image when you click on this link? http://i.imgur.com/UzLBrtm.jpg

I can see the image when I click on the link.


One thing I did notice is that it works like it should when opened in Private Browsing.

Make sure your Chrome is fully up to date, if you're running an older version then the code these people are using might not be working right.

If you're okay losing some settings you might have customized, you can try resetting them to default. If incognito mode is showing you the templates fine then you might have changed a setting somewhere.

If that doesn't work then I honestly don't know what's causing it!

Quote:
Make sure your Chrome is fully up to date, if you're running an older version then the code these people are using might not be working right.

If you're okay losing some settings you might have customized, you can try resetting them to default. If incognito mode is showing you the templates fine then you might have changed a setting somewhere.

If that doesn't work then I honestly don't know what's causing it!

I am at a loss then, I made sure it is up to date and tried resetting back to default, still doesn't work.

Cyrotronix wrote:
I am at a loss then, I made sure it is up to date and tried resetting back to default, still doesn't work.

So what I keep coming back to is this: if it works in a different browser, it works in the same browser but only in incognito mode, then it's something linked to your browser and possibly the profile you're using (since incognito basically just uses the browser default settings as if the tab never saw the internet before and doesn't save the data as it would otherwise).

Alternatively, try creating a new Chrome profile and switching to that. (Go to Settings > Manage other people and add a new user. Your current account won't be altered and you can switch back to it at any time.) If the problem is resolved with the new profile, then you have a setting somewhere that affects the sites you browse and it's probably best to either start fresh, or reach out to Chrome support forums for more help to fix your current profile.

Lessee... Looked it up. I use Google Chrome, and I'm also able to see it.

The image is applied to the body via a class. If something were to change that class, "mobilesupportenabled", then the connection would break. It'd take JavaScript or something to do that though, which still indicates settings or plugins.

The class exists within the HTML, which only Kim can change. (And plugins. For example, I have a plugin that's inserting an extra element that, fortunately, doesn't actually appear or affect anything.) I'm kinda looking around now to see if there are other templates that apply the background to the body... The official template I use for Ash does, but it applies it directly to the body without the use of the class, and it applies it in a method that's been around longer. And yeah, I'm finding others that also apply it to the body in various ways, looks like it's still without using the class though... The template I have on Alchemy uses the same CSS rules to apply the background, but creates a "fake" element to apply it to rather than applying it directly to the body.

If you can see the background on Alchemy there, then my best guess is you've got something somewhere interrupting that "mobilesupportenabled" class.

If you can't, then... I guess your browser is lying to you about being updated? Or you have something that's making it pretend to be older? ^^; I don't know. I only know both those templates are using CSS3 for the background, and a few years ago, the different browsers were a little spotty on how they worked with it.

Novalyyn wrote:
Lessee... Looked it up. I use Google Chrome, and I'm also able to see it.

The image is applied to the body via a class. If something were to change that class, "mobilesupportenabled", then the connection would break. It'd take JavaScript or something to do that though, which still indicates settings or plugins.

The class exists within the HTML, which only Kim can change. (And plugins. For example, I have a plugin that's inserting an extra element that, fortunately, doesn't actually appear or affect anything.) I'm kinda looking around now to see if there are other templates that apply the background to the body... The official template I use for Ash does, but it applies it directly to the body without the use of the class, and it applies it in a method that's been around longer. And yeah, I'm finding others that also apply it to the body in various ways, looks like it's still without using the class though... The template I have on Alchemy uses the same CSS rules to apply the background, but creates a "fake" element to apply it to rather than applying it directly to the body.

If you can see the background on Alchemy there, then my best guess is you've got something somewhere interrupting that "mobilesupportenabled" class.

If you can't, then... I guess your browser is lying to you about being updated? Or you have something that's making it pretend to be older? ^^; I don't know. I only know both those templates are using CSS3 for the background, and a few years ago, the different browsers were a little spotty on how they worked with it.

Are you saying that if the browser were in "mobile" mode the background wouldn't load?

1 2 »

Moderators: Cass, Copper_Dragon, SeraphicStar, Heimdall, Ben, Darth_Angelus


Forums > Help > Template Background Not Working