remember me
Register | Forgot Login

Forums > Smalltalk > Anyone like folk rock?

I just heard a thing on the radio about a movie coming out called Echos in the Canyon, and it sounds neat. It's about the musicians that coalesced together in the Laurel Canyon near Los Angeles in the 60s and combined the genres of folk with rock.

People like the Mamas and the Pappas, and the Beach Boys (apparently -- I wouldn't have thought of them as folk rock but apparently they can be classified that way! Hmm.)

And folks elsewhere like Carole King, Simon and Garfunkel, the Byrds, Peter Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, and Linda Rondstadt, etc. Folk rock! Anyone like those folks as much as I do? Just curious. :)

Yep.

Also cool, though rather different: folk metal.

Damn right! I would call The Beach Boys ‘surfer rock’ aka Jan & Dean, etc.

Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Arlo Guthrie, Neil Young... these five make up a fair amount of my playlists.

Novalyyn wrote:
Yep.

Also cool, though rather different: folk metal.

Have to check out

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Damn right! I would call The Beach Boys ‘surfer rock’ aka Jan & Dean, etc.

Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Arlo Guthrie, Neil Young... these five naked up a fair amount of my playlists.

Yesss

I think I would like it. I like a pretty wide variety of music but I have trouble telling genres apart for whatever reason.

I need to find some new music to listen to, so thanks for throwing some names into the thread.

DazzlingDragon wrote:
I think I would like it. I like a pretty wide variety of music but I have trouble telling genres apart for whatever reason.

I need to find some new music to listen to, so thanks for throwing some names into the thread.

Cool...yeah they're a lot of really classic singer-songwriters there that have been popular over the years so maybe you would. :)

How would you classify the early Eagles? It is technically folk rock, but it was labeled 'Country rock' back in the day. It was too rocky for the country charts and too country for the rock charts. These days, there are rockier 'country' artists....

The Desperado album has got be one of their best, and it is a concept story to be played from beginning to end. The only song heard on 'classic' rock stations these days is Tequila Sunrise, but I always liked Bitter Creek better.

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
How would you classify the early Eagles? It is technically folk rock, but it was labeled 'Country rock' back in the day. It was too rocky for the country charts and too country for the rock charts. These days, there are rockier 'country' artists....

The Desperado album has got be one of their best, and it is a concept story to be played from beginning to end. The only song heard on 'classic' rock stations these days is Tequila Sunrise, but I always liked Bitter Creek better.

1. I love the Eagles

2. I love Desperado and Tequila Sunrise but I did not know Desperado was a concept album to be played from beginning to end. Thank you for that.

3. I love the Eagles

4. Hmmm...I think of them as definitely somewhat folksy but I think country rock is the best description, like you say. But it fits right into the kind of stuff I like. Folksy yet rock.

5. I had never heard Bitter Creek but just listened to it and it's a good song.

So do you feel like they would have been a country band by today's standards? I dunno.

Seems like they're in a category of their own! #originality

Nice choice there.

Songs I like by the Eagles:

1. Take It Easy
2. Peaceful, Easy Feeling
3. Desperado
4. Best of My Love
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Take It To the Limit
7. One of These Nights
8. Lyin' Eyes

-- For some reason, the one song I don't like by them is Hotel California, because the whole idea of a hotel you can't get out of creeps me out slightly.


Also...


((♥️)) Lynard Skynard ((♥️))

Abigail_Austin wrote:
-- For some reason, the one song I don't like by them is Hotel California, because the whole idea of a hotel you can't get out of creeps me out slightly.

There are two... no, three songs I could go through the rest of my life not ever hearing again.... Hey Jude by the Beatles, Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin, and Hotel California by the Eagles.


But what I do like hearing, and I'll add what I consider some 'folk-rock' here....

Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider

And mayby more country folk than folk rock... but what the hey... New Riders of the Purple Sage - Panama Red

Uriah Heep - Stealin'

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
-- For some reason, the one song I don't like by them is Hotel California, because the whole idea of a hotel you can't get out of creeps me out slightly.

There are two... no, three songs I could go through the rest of my life not ever hearing again.... Hey Jude by the Beatles, Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin, and Hotel California by the Eagles.


But what I do like hearing, and I'll add what I consider some 'folk-rock' here....

Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider

And mayby more country folk than folk rock... but what the hey... New Riders of the Purple Sage - Panama Red

Uriah Heep - Stealin'

Right on. All three of those are overplayed indeed.

Coming from Minnesota. Bob dylan.

LakotaSiouxWarrior wrote:
Coming from Minnesota. Bob dylan.

I saw him live a few years ago!

I think Mumford and Sons fits into this genre. Their debut album is the best!

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
How would you classify the early Eagles? It is technically folk rock, but it was labeled 'Country rock' back in the day. It was too rocky for the country charts and too country for the rock charts. These days, there are rockier 'country' artists....

The Desperado album has got be one of their best, and it is a concept story to be played from beginning to end. The only song heard on 'classic' rock stations these days is Tequila Sunrise, but I always liked Bitter Creek better.

1. I love the Eagles

2. I love Desperado and Tequila Sunrise but I did not know Desperado was a concept album to be played from beginning to end. Thank you for that.

3. I love the Eagles

4. Hmmm...I think of them as definitely somewhat folksy but I think country rock is the best description, like you say. But it fits right into the kind of stuff I like. Folksy yet rock.

5. I had never heard Bitter Creek but just listened to it and it's a good song.

So do you feel like they would have been a country band by today's standards? I dunno.

Seems like they're in a category of their own! #originality

Nice choice there.

Songs I like by the Eagles:

1. Take It Easy
2. Peaceful, Easy Feeling
3. Desperado
4. Best of My Love
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Take It To the Limit
7. One of These Nights
8. Lyin' Eyes

-- For some reason, the one song I don't like by them is Hotel California, because the whole idea of a hotel you can't get out of creeps me out slightly.


Also...


((♥️)) Lynard Skynard ((♥️))
The eagles and lynard skynard great music. You have great taste in music.

Moderators: MadRatBird, Keke, Libertine, Cass, Auberon, Copper_Dragon, Sanne, Dragonfire, Darth_Angelus


Forums > Smalltalk > Anyone like folk rock?