Group Toolbar Menu

Forums » Planned Features » Spoilers Reworked? (COMPLETE)

Edit: Inb4 this is more of a bug report than a suggestion...? ^^;

I don’t know if I’m the only one using the mobile version of the site who has this issue, but spoiler tags have never actually function correctly for me when I’m on my phone, and it made me wonder if they are getting a tweak in 2.0.

TV Tropes & Discord are the other sites/apps I browse that use them, & I can click on and off, and reveal and hide the info...

...But the RPR’s spoiler tags straight up don’t work. :( The brown cover shows up, but when I tap on it, the text doesn’t reveal itself. I mentioned this before at least a year or so ago, but it never got addressed, so could it be addressed in the rebuild...?
...spoiler tags are supposed to reveal on a tap? I've always had to highlight to see the text, from any machine I use.

Tap-reveal would be nice.
Testing here so I don’t have to backtrack...

I’ve always had to copy and paste it into another program/window, which might in part of being an iPhone problem?

Regardless, TV tropes & Discord both function with a tap of the screen for screentouch functionality, and I’m quite certain TV tropes in particular functions on the desktop with a mouse click!

Screenshot from my phone when I try to interact
WaDTZ7S.png
My iPhone does the same thing ^
Oh, so yours isn't even highlighting correctly!
Volka wrote:
My iPhone does the same thing ^

Same, I always have to copy and paste the thing into a new tab.
Highlight works for me on any device mobile and otherwise but I would adore being able to just tap because it's hard highlighting with fingers on a 4 inch screen ahaha.
I too run into it just highlighting the block instead of letting me see what goes on underneath.
Mercyinreach wrote:
Highlight works for me on any device mobile and otherwise but I would adore being able to just tap because it's hard highlighting with fingers on a 4 inch screen ahaha.

Out of curiosity, what kind of mobile device do you use?
Mercyinreach wrote:
For me and my Android device, too.
Copper_Dragon wrote:
Mercyinreach wrote:

Out of curiosity, what kind of mobile device do you use?

I use an LG Q7+ specifically that has the Andriod 8 OS.

I also sometimes use a very old Andriod tablet that has like Andriod 4 OS. The last I checked highlighting for spoilers works on both but I'll check my tablet in a bit to double check.
I'm using android version 9 on the Samsung Note 9 and I can see the spoilers always. You can see a screenshot below

here
Q6AuXb6.jpg

From the posts I've seen maybe this is an iOS problem? I am 90-95% on mobile and always on mobile and never once have even heard of this problem much less experienced it, which is (part of) the reason I suggested it being an apple problem.

Anyway thought my 2c might be helpful in this investigation.
So the reason spoilers work this way is because it's super basic CSS. All it does it give text a background color, and it gives the text the same color as the background, making the text essentially invisible.

To reveal the spoiler you have to highlight it because most devices override the CSS -- when you highlight, the device creates a new background color and text color with contrast (on Windows 10 for example, it turns the background blue and the text white when you highlight it). It looks like Android makes highlights function this way, but iOS doesn't.

From a technical standpoint, making toggleable spoiler tags isn't that hard though, so fingers crossed this is something Kim will support!
Sanne wrote:
So the reason spoilers work this way is because it's super basic CSS. All it does it give text a background color, and it gives the text the same color as the background, making the text essentially invisible.

To reveal the spoiler you have to highlight it because most devices override the CSS -- when you highlight, the device creates a new background color and text color with contrast (on Windows 10 for example, it turns the background blue and the text white when you highlight it). It looks like Android makes highlights function this way, but iOS doesn't.

From a technical standpoint, making toggleable spoiler tags isn't that hard though, so fingers crossed this is something Kim will support!

Yay! Thank you for explaining how this functions, because I’ve always found it so frustrating that it works in other places on the Internet, but not here on this awesome site! XD <3 <3
Most of my new templates do a spoiler reveal on hover, which works with a tap on Android mobile at least. I have no apple devices to verify its effectiveness with iOS. (Android treats it like you're hovering until you tap away.) So it's possible for custom templates at least! It would be nice to have as a site wide feature outside of templates.
Sanne wrote:

Incidentally, CSS can be used to create a custom highlight color. It's usually only associated with links, but can be used on other things.

But I still like the idea of tapping, especially since my phone is sometimes a butt about highlighting the spot I want.
Tap-based spoilers are in the works! :D
Kim wrote:

WOOO!
o/
Kim wrote:

Yay! Thank you, Kim!! <3
Kim wrote:

Heck yeah!