Group Toolbar Menu

Forums » Suggestions » Checkboxes for how sexual content is handled in RP

I think this came up when discussing the LFRP boards way back at the beginning of this, I also mentioned it I believe during the office hours but I couldn't find any topic that was about this specifically and figured I'd make one if anything just so it's here.

One concern I have is that... people - like me - who are open to both fading to black on sexual content and writing it out in detail, will not have the ability to express this in a way that will apply to the filters.

I am hoping for potential check boxes where it is possible to check options such as 'fade to black' 'in detail' 'semi-detail', one, two or all three of those, to express how sexual content if it comes up in the RP will be handled based on the preference of both people.

It is and would continue to be pretty frustrating to be open to multiple ways of handling/writing such things in RP but not being able to express that via the filters and having to chose between one or the other and losing half of the people who might be interested in the RP.
I really like this idea. I'm someone who prefers fade-to-black, and I feel that this would take a lot of the frustration out of initial discussions to the RP.
While more filters is always nice.. I don't know about this one...

Personally (and others may feel differently) I don't like the concept of someone searching for role-play based on my willingness to write out sexual scenes or not considering I do not do "romance" RP as a genre, but rather include it in broader stories. I feel it undermines the larger scope of RP that I do.

I'd rather not be treated like a sexual object. I'd rather people choose to roleplay with me based upon the roleplay story campaign rather then if I checked the check box- because that's what I think people would use it for. Which abuses the filter system IMHO.
I agree with Mipps and feel the same way, especially since when I first get into a story and RP, I'm not thinking about romance or if sex might happen when things are so new and just getting started. That's not to say I don't do romance or relationships in my games, it's just usually not top of mind or the main plot of the story.

Also, in my opinion, the willingness level of writing out sexual scenes is easily handled by talking to potential RP partners or simply writing out what you're willing to do in LFRP posts. Communication and being upfront takes out a lot of frustration for everyone.
I thought this was something she had already decided to include...?
Zelphyr wrote:
I thought this was something she had already decided to include...?

It was mentioned as something that might be thought about as far as I know during the office hours.
Somnom wrote:
I agree with Mipps and feel the same way, especially since when I first get into a story and RP, I'm not thinking about romance or if sex might happen when things are so new and just getting started. That's not to say I don't do romance or relationships in my games, it's just usually not top of mind or the main plot of the story.

Also, in my opinion, the willingness level of writing out sexual scenes is easily handled by talking to potential RP partners or simply writing out what you're willing to do in LFRP posts. Communication and being upfront takes out a lot of frustration for everyone.
Mipps wrote:
While more filters is always nice.. I don't know about this one...

Personally (and others may feel differently) I don't like the concept of someone searching for role-play based on my willingness to write out sexual scenes or not considering I do not do "romance" RP as a genre, but rather include it in broader stories. I feel it undermines the larger scope of RP that I do.

I'd rather not be treated like a sexual object. I'd rather people choose to roleplay with me based upon the roleplay story campaign rather then if I checked the check box- because that's what I think people would use it for. Which abuses the filter system IMHO.

I understand both your opinions/thoughts/feelings, so thank you for them -- and I just want to say I'm not suggesting these be things you are required to check.

I'm suggesting the option of the check boxes for people like me and others who would find having these filter options to be helpful and take stress off us.

For some RP's I might want to fade to black during scenes, for another I might want to not fade to black during scenes, and being able to check mark that so that people can find what they are compatible with, comfortable with.

The people who do not want to use this filter/tagging option would not have to of course.

The 'this may contain sexual content' filter already informs people that your RP will perhaps have sexual content, but being able to check whether someone prefers to fade to black or write it in detail, would allow people to whom that is important to, to be able to find it, and make sure people can find their posts.

Just checking the 'allow rps that may contain sexual content' means all those rps will be included, and someone would then need to drudge through rps that want the sexual content to be in detail, when they only want fade to black, or wade through fade to black, when they prefer writing those scenes in detail.

While this filter option might not apply to everyone, I think it would make things easier, since whether or not there are filters, there are a lot of people who do reject and accept rps based on whether the sexual content will be fade to black or in detail, and want to be able to avoid one or the other, or make people aware of one or the other in a way that works with the filtering system which is meant to be the main source of finding RP.

I also don't believe that someone (at least not any regular basis) would agree to RP with someone simply because the sexual content is one or the other. They would have to have some semblance of interest in the RP to agree to it, and personally I feel the check boxes would just make things easier for people who want to know what to expect in the future of the rps without digging through pages of rps only to find so many rps they aren't compatible with.

Given it's optional I don't see there being a problem with people 'abusing' the filters, since the filters are in place for people to find what they want and some people want to find smut, some people want to find pure fade to black, and some people just want to find RP's that have a clear indication of whether sexual content will be fade to black or in detail in a filterable way.

Just as an example, say someone is fine with sexual content to an extent, but doesn't write it in detail, with the 'current' filters they would be able to click 'allow rps that main contain sexual content'

but then have to wade through rps that are smut based and rps where the poster doesn't fade to black.

Having the tagging and filter options I mentioned would allow them to filter for only fade to black, along side the 'allow rps that contain sexual content' and so they would not have to see all of the other rps that they aren't comfortable with.