Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » whats a small thing that had large consequences?

just thought of a rp moment, where the king of Hell fell asleep, and since he wasn't conscious and fighting them, these four demon of demons things came out of his head and made chaos, and were the antagonists while the good guys tried to trap them. whats a small thing in a rp that had big consequences or effects?
DM introduced a merchant with a flamboyant voice and covered in glitter.

He became the sole provider of all our goods for the next 3 years. It was the only shop we went too, all other quest were secondary to the glitter mans quest. He might as well have been a main character and what was suppose to be a 1 off merchant single handedly supplied an entire crusade.
TiredWriter

One of my characters, Dennis. He was created on an Discord server to be that kid who sold snacks at school (basically a background character) until he basically climbed up the ladder to being a main character.
So in an old RP, my OC Dash literally started a rebellion against a king and uh- maybe got a little bit too much people on her side and pretty much made everybody hate the king lmao
NiftySpiffy

So one time, in an rp, I had carneline attack clay and, I kid you not, everyone came to help clay.
...I feel like "small things with large consequences" are pretty much what comprises most of my RPs. I'll go with something a bit easier to put into words and from a more traditional-ish D&D campaign. :) I still have very little TTRPG experience, and I do think that played a part in some of my choices here.

See more
Group was after the MacGuffin of a story arc, which was in the possession of a bunch of cultists. We were in the right city, and rather than go straight to the cult, folks went shopping around town to see about getting some better stuff and whatnot.

First "small thing" in the sequence of events that led to large(ish) consequences: I did not go shopping. My character decided to take off to go scope out the situation, instead. I didn't see much reason to take my character shopping, and my character was a little nervous about how the group's "employer" would react if they screwed up, so it made more sense to see what it was we'd be dealing with. There was very little my character could actually see without some amazing sneaky-sneak skills, though, so I suppose the second "small thing" was deciding to just stroll right up and start chatting with the cultists.

Knew just enough that he was able to convince them that he was not only part of their cult, but higher-ranked than those he was talking to. I managed to get some more info about what was going on, when things were going down, etc, but the DM put his foot down on keeping my character from actually getting into the area where the main event was happening. The low level cultists did believe I was someone with authority over them, but not to the point where they were willing to go against direct orders not to let anyone in, just enough to make them feel nervous about denying my character.

Third "small thing" was a bit of playful spite from the DM for making him have to accommodate me wandering off from the rest of the party and trying to get an early peek at things (and potentially also something to help reduce the chance of my character taking a risk that could debatably greatly improve his sneaky-sneak). The DM took a detail about my character and casually introduced a "local delicacy" that my character would not be okay with (but that basically anyone else wouldn't likely even blink at). It did upset my character, and struck me as a bit of a personal challenge, aaaaaand... incidentally, had a gaping flaw that I was able to take advantage of. I know I'm being really vague, but that choice of "local delicacy" was something my character - who, again, had already sold himself as being a person of authority within the cult - was pretty easily able to frame as something offensive the to cult's own god.

I wasn't able to get in to see the important stuff, but I did dramatically reduce how many enemies we'd have to deal with, because a ton of low-level cultists were now off trying to get rid of the evidence of their accidental "heresy" before their "god" actually arrived.

TL;DR - My character decided to investigate instead of shop, and to do so by chatting instead of sneaking. DM used the opportunity to poke at me for breaking away from the group and trying to see stuff before we were supposed to. The thing the DM poked with backfired, and the party ended up with a much easier battle than had originally been planned.
Mothunny Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
...I feel like "small things with large consequences" are pretty much what comprises most of my RPs. I'll go with something a bit easier to put into words and from a more traditional-ish D&D campaign. :) I still have very little TTRPG experience, and I do think that played a part in some of my choices here.

See more
Group was after the MacGuffin of a story arc, which was in the possession of a bunch of cultists. We were in the right city, and rather than go straight to the cult, folks went shopping around town to see about getting some better stuff and whatnot.

First "small thing" in the sequence of events that led to large(ish) consequences: I did not go shopping. My character decided to take off to go scope out the situation, instead. I didn't see much reason to take my character shopping, and my character was a little nervous about how the group's "employer" would react if they screwed up, so it made more sense to see what it was we'd be dealing with. There was very little my character could actually see without some amazing sneaky-sneak skills, though, so I suppose the second "small thing" was deciding to just stroll right up and start chatting with the cultists.

Knew just enough that he was able to convince them that he was not only part of their cult, but higher-ranked than those he was talking to. I managed to get some more info about what was going on, when things were going down, etc, but the DM put his foot down on keeping my character from actually getting into the area where the main event was happening. The low level cultists did believe I was someone with authority over them, but not to the point where they were willing to go against direct orders not to let anyone in, just enough to make them feel nervous about denying my character.

Third "small thing" was a bit of playful spite from the DM for making him have to accommodate me wandering off from the rest of the party and trying to get an early peek at things (and potentially also something to help reduce the chance of my character taking a risk that could debatably greatly improve his sneaky-sneak). The DM took a detail about my character and casually introduced a "local delicacy" that my character would not be okay with (but that basically anyone else wouldn't likely even blink at). It did upset my character, and struck me as a bit of a personal challenge, aaaaaand... incidentally, had a gaping flaw that I was able to take advantage of. I know I'm being really vague, but that choice of "local delicacy" was something my character - who, again, had already sold himself as being a person of authority within the cult - was pretty easily able to frame as something offensive the to cult's own god.

I wasn't able to get in to see the important stuff, but I did dramatically reduce how many enemies we'd have to deal with, because a ton of low-level cultists were now off trying to get rid of the evidence of their accidental "heresy" before their "god" actually arrived.

TL;DR - My character decided to investigate instead of shop, and to do so by chatting instead of sneaking. DM used the opportunity to poke at me for breaking away from the group and trying to see stuff before we were supposed to. The thing the DM poked with backfired, and the party ended up with a much easier battle than had originally been planned.

if i ever play DND with you i will make sure to convince you to go against plans
XD Things won't always work out as smoothly as that did. Heck, even then and with such an easier battle, I'm pretty sure it was in that battle where my character still got blown up. My character managed to be enough of a "cannon" in that fight for the enemies to go after him as if he were a "tank." (Details of the situation allowed my character to survive and basically recover, but still. Ow.)
Mothunny Topic Starter

oh jeez, not the boom XD i think the worst thats happened to me in a game was where my satyr/deer girl (shes used as a satyr, but is deer) almost got an antler ripped off. very painful. and where my prince of a kingdom turned to prince of kiwis. blame the goo door trap
Hoo, not sure you'd want to play with me. XD Some of my RP partners have occasionally ended up crying. (I swear I rarely ever set out with sad stuff in mind.)
Mothunny Topic Starter

crying is healthy tho
I'm not sure I ever made anyone cry but I have made some traumatized. I enjoy writing very intense violence and gore, often in great detail.
I have a character named Rev. He was made to be a simple side character. But me and my partner loved him so much that he ended up becoming a part of a doomsday prophecy XD
I gave my players a pet faerie dragon and we all collectively derailed what was supposed to be a somewhat modified Tyranny of Dragons thing into Monster Rancher.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » whats a small thing that had large consequences?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus