Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Summer Art Trade 2022!

Kim Site Admin

artist_Elf.pngWe're doing an official RPR art trade. Please read the rules carefully before signing up!

In this art trade, artists post information about a character (or characters, if they want to give the other person a choice of things to draw) they would like to receive gift art of. At a specified cut off date, submissions stop and each artist is randomly assigned someone else in the exchange. Then each artist draws the thing they got, and on a certain day, everyone exchanges what they drew. So you do art for someone else, and someone else gives you art. It's like secret Santa, but with art!

ENTRIES DUE BY JUNE 19th (That's a Sunday)
ASSIGNMENTS SENT ON JUNE 20th (That's a Monday)
ART IS DUE ON JULY 10th (That's a Sunday)

PLEASE BE CERTAIN YOU CAN COMPLETE YOUR ASSIGNED PIECE IN THE TIME ALLOWED.
If you're not sure, just play it safe and don't enter. There's always next year!

Check your calendars carefully!

There will be a one week grace period for posting art in case of emergencies. If you don't turn in your art by the end of that one week grace period, you might not be able to participate next year. It's only fair that everyone who does art should get art in return.

This art trade is open to artists of all skill levels!
We are no longer dividing artists into "dabbler" and "devotee" categories. We do ask that this not be your first or second attempt at drawing, but if you've been drawing for roughly a year or more and are willing to do your very best, you're welcome here. Participants should go in with the expectation that the art they receive will be in an unknown style and completed by someone with an unknown skill level, and be excited to get a nice surprise whatever it turns out to be. If you think you may be upset if your gift art turns out to come from an artist who is not as experienced as yourself, or who uses a style of art that is not to your taste, this is not the art trade for you.

Remember, the art you will be given is a GIFT. Someone did their very best to capture your character for you. Please don't get angry if they made mistakes; they did their very best to the best of their ability and understanding to make you something nice, just like you are going to do for whoever you are assigned. :)

I'm not good at drawing (humans/animals/robots/reptiles/something else), can I specify that I don't want to be paired with someone with a character like that?
Nope. If you get thrown a curveball, you're going to have to do your best. Stretch out of your comfort zone! ;)

Is there a risk I could be paired with someone I have blocked?
No. Our matcher is largely random, but it DOES take into account people you have blocked and will not give such assignments. Please be certain you have blocked participants you want to be certain you are not assigned to draw for under any circumstances, and leave them blocked until you receive your art trade assignment.

What are the requirements of the artwork?
  • The following types of artworks can be submitted:
    • Digital drawing/painting/3d modeling
    • Hand-drawn or hand-painted items, so long as you have a method of taking a well-lit photo or good scan of your artwork
    • Sculpture/models you have created from scratch and painted or otherwise colored, so long as you have a method of taking a well-lit photo of your artwork
  • Please do full body artworks, unless the person you're assigned has specified they are okay with receiving a bust/head portrait.
  • Drawings should be in color, unless there is a strong, articulated reason why you made an artistic choice to do black and white. It needs to be something like "it matched the noir flavor of the character and I was really trying to capture that mood," or "I am legally color blind and was afraid I would use the wrong colors," not "I ran out of time" or "I was too lazy."
  • Backgrounds are not required, but you're welcome to include one if the muse moves you.
  • Please make sure your artwork is appropriate for posting on the public forums, so PG-13, non-nude, etc. :)
  • Artwork you submit must be your own original work. If your piece is found to be:
    • Directly stolen, or simply a recolor of an exisiting piece of art.
    • Traced in part or in total
    • Dramatically over-referenced
    You will be banned from the art trade for at least two years, and possibly permanently.

Does it have to be a surprise? What happens if I want to ask my assigned person questions about their character?
Many people like to keep their art trade assignments a surprise, and do a big reveal on the final day. If this is you, you can have me pass on your questions anonymously to your art trade recipients.

However, that's not required. If you prefer, you can ask your assigned person questions about their character directly.

What if I finish early? Can I post the artwork early?
Most people prefer to do a big reveal all at once on the final due date. It feels a bit like a holiday. However, this is only tradition, it is not a rule.

You're free to post your art trade artwork early if you like! This is especially encouraged for those of you who are afraid you will forget or not be online around the time of the final art trade due date ;)

What happens if I did my part for the art trade, but the person who was assigned me goes AWOL?
If you did your part of the art trade, but don't receive anything in return by the deadline or after the grace period, we'll find another artist who will make sure you get a piece of gift art too.

What happens if I sign up but then have a BIG HUGE EMERGENCY that is going to prevent me from participating?
If this happens, please let me know ASAP so I can figure something out.

At the end of the art trade, how do I turn in my finished piece?
Please post your finished piece in this topic, with a note about who it was for. This way I'll be able to check you off my list as confirmed at the same time that your recipient gets to see it. :)

I've read the rules and I'M IN! How do I sign up?
To enter, fill out the following form for each character you'd like to offer as a possibility for the artist assigned to you. Remember, no matter how many characters you submit, the person assigned you is only required to draw a single character.

ENTRY FORM
Code:
[b]Character Name:[/b] [b]Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials:[/b] [b]Species:[/b] [b]Gender expression:[/b] [b]Personality:[/b] [b]I prefer to receive:[/b] (full body art/bust/either) [b]Brief physical description of the character:[/b] [b]Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background)[/b] [b]Anything else we need to know:[/b] [b]If you've listed more than one character, is it okay for your characters to be drawn together if the artist wants (yes or no)[/b]
Just to be clear, nothing in black and white or grey scale is allowed even if that is your style? or another reason such as supplies or just unable to do work in color for reasons due to eyesight restrictions
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Masquerade wrote:
Just to be clear, nothing in black and white or grey scale is allowed even if that is your style? or another reason such as supplies or just unable to do work in color for reasons due to eyesight restrictions

I think we'd be happy to stretch that rule to mean "toned in grayscale, hatching etc" if necessary. Just so long as care and effort has been put into the piece, and it appropriately captures the character.
Cass Moderator

I'd like to enter~
Please note that there is some sensitive content on the profile due to the roleplay word I write her in. :)

Character Name: Sherelle
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/sherelle/102243
Species: Human/Mermaid
Gender expression: Female, Cis
Personality: Soft, gentle, a little somber. 'Mona lisa'
I prefer to receive: Anything
Brief physical description of the character: Porcelain skinned, petite woman who is modest dressed - always dresses, but nothing too revealing. Long, very curly hair that reaches her lower back. Often likes sea-themed jewelery, flower crowns.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Boats, ocean-theme, beach theme, could do an under water picture too.
Anything else we need to know: I don't think so! :)

If you've listed more than one character, is it okay for your
characters to be drawn together if the artist wants (yes or no)
N/A
There's definitely a stigma against B/W or monotone art being lazy or unrefined. As someone who primarily works in color, I'm not sure I agree, and even some of my color images started as fully-painted grayscale with some fairly lazy color tricks.

Maybe it would've been better to word it as, "Please don't submit a sketch" or something similar? Unless there's a reason for the color rule that I'm missing?
Character Name: Demyan Novik
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://toyhou.se/16448733.demyan-novik
Species: Human
Gender expression: Masculine
Personality: Gruff, reclusive, can be quite blunt and rather mean.
I prefer to receive: any
Brief physical description of the character: Slightly tanned skin with a dark-gray dyed mullet. Blue eyes with a nose piercing chain across the bridge of his nose and a double lip piercing. Red markings on his cheeks, usually wears light techwear.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Desert-type terrain or inside a tent
Anything else we need to know: ..noooothing?

Character Name: Malachi Katz
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://toyhou.se/16463014.malachi-katz
Gender expression: Masculine
Personality: quiet, hesitant, cynical. is also quite reclusive and gruff, though less mean and more honest and kind. he’s also often quite tired / sluggish due to his divorce and loss of job and home.
I prefer to receive: any
Brief physical description of the character: Pale skin with shoulder length brown hair, bright green eyes. Usually dressed in heavy techwear and a mask (standard black face mask) is optional.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Desert-type terrain or inside a tent
Anything else we need to know: ..noooothing?

: no
Claine Moderator

Yasss let's do this !!!

Throwing up the usual crowd

Character Name: West
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/sadboy
Gender expression: Cis-Male
Personality: Reserved, Struggles to connect with others, violent + rude as a self defence mechanism.
I prefer to receive: Either
Brief physical description of the character: Short with a stocky build, short white hair and red eyes (these are features of his homeland). Has a distinctive scar under his eye and across his lip. Not very fashion forward, but wears both neutral colours and garish pink. There are loads of reference images on his profile and in the comic.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Cars, vibrant cities, cyberpunk-ish.
Anything else we need to know: I am perfectly okay with a little violence/blood in any artwork given to me!

Character Name: Barame
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/RatPrince
Gender expression: Cis-Male
Personality: He's a man with two sides. Friendly and sociable in day to day life, yet he's able to hide how effortlessly cruel he is in his work.
Brief physical description of the character: He's a little on the shorter side, but he has a somewhat lanky build. He has long white hair (usually tied back) and red eyes (these are features of his homeland). His eyesight is very poor so he always wears glasses. He dresses like a 10 year old who has suddenly been given $1 million spending money. There are loads of reference images on his profile and in the comic.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Vibrant cities, cyberpunk-ish.
Anything else we need to know: I am perfectly okay with a little violence/blood in any artwork given to me!

Character Name: Adael
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/adael
Species: Spirit (who usually appears Human)
Gender expression: Usually appears male
Personality: Adael can come off as somewhat cold and calculating and driven by revenge. He is skilled at big-picture thinking and managing people and resources. He's not an emotionless creature, and he is soft in his own way but his time is overwhelmingly occupied by working towards larger goals.
Brief physical description of the character: Adael is somewhat tall and muscular with brown hair. He wears an eyepatch over his right eye, the exposed one also brown in colour. While usually hidden by his clothing and eyepatch, Adael has many black scars and a magic seal on his body betraying his non-human nature. Here is an image showing them. There are plenty of other images on his page and in the comic.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Vibrant cities, cyberpunk-ish.
Anything else we need to know: Do you like body horror? I like body horror! Feel free to go wild! + as above I'm fine with violence and blood.

Yes! Adael and Barame are in a relationship and West is a close friend. I'd love to see any of them drawn together :)
Can I enter without having a character reference, but just a description of an idea for an entirely new character, whom, whoever the artist will be, can then have their take on? :^)

Trimalchio wrote:
Can I enter without having a character reference, but just a description of an idea for an entirely new character, whom, whoever the artist will be, can then have their take on? :^)

This event does not require you to have any previous art of the character, just a clear description :)
Kim wrote:
    • Hand-drawn or hand-painted items, so long as you have a method of taking a well-lit photo or good scan of your artwork
    • Sculpture/models you have created from scratch and painted or otherwise colored, so long as you have a method of taking a well-lit photo of your artwork

Yo, question! Do animated GIFs fall under the digital drawing/painting category? (I can supply the original static file as well!) :D

CrystalDisc wrote:
Kim wrote:

Yo, question! Do animated GIFs fall under the digital drawing/painting category? (I can supply the original static file as well!) :D

I don't think anyone has ever submitted one before, but I can't see why not :)
Aa im excited ^^

Character Name: Sage
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1466701, https://imgbb.com/v4ThP8R
Species: Avian Fairy/Electric Fae
Gender expression: masculine
Personality: Rather flirtatious and narcissistic, however will get embarrassed at the slightest complement back.
I prefer to receive: Any the artist feels like!
Brief physical description of the character:
Short and briefly muscular, has orange pads similar to the bottom of a paw print on his palms and soles. His hair seems to be raven, and he has a red and blue eye pair. He doesn't have a style, but likes to wear hoodies and shorts for the most part.

Suggested environments: possibly on/near a tree, or prompt against a woodland feature.
Anything else we need to know: Probably not important, but if feeling the need to make a certain expression, Sage is constantly over worked or tired.

characters to be drawn together if the artist wants: ye ofc ^^ All though, I don't plan on adding anyone else.
Luscinioide

Interested in the full-body rule. Is there any real reason for it? That's a pretty big ask when you include it has to be full color. For the higher end artists, that's like a 8 to 10 hour ordeal versus 3 hours for a bust or waist up. >_>

I would be fine doing even waist ups, but a full body requirement if the person demands it is...a bit much. I know myself and other artists probably would avoid joining solely for that reason.

Saturninum wrote:
Interested in the full-body rule. Is there any real reason for it? That's a pretty big ask when you include it has to be full color. For the higher end artists, that's like a 8 to 10 hour ordeal versus 3 hours for a bust or waist up. >_>

I would be fine doing even waist ups, but a full body requirement if the person demands it is...a bit much. I know myself and other artists probably would avoid joining solely for that reason.

Unfortunately, there's no way to make everyone happy with a single art trade. This is what we settled on for ours. Not everyone is going to want to join it, and that's okay. If you really want to participate in an art trade but this one doesn't meet your needs, you are welcome and encouraged to set up and host your own with a set of rules that feel more comfy to you. :)
CertifiedSimp

hehe this looks like fun ouo
Character name: Vivienne
Reference materials: Character profile & Pinterest board
Gender expression: Feminine-ish? Kind of leans towards andro
Personality: Adventurous, stubborn, and blunt.
I prefer to receive: Anything, I have no preference
Brief physical description of the character: She is pale with undertones of purple and red. Her eyes are black, as well as her hair. Her hair falls no longer than her jaw and consists of loosely-kept curls. She has a scar on her right cheek which stretches from her hairline to just across the bridge of her nose. She wears a deep grey, loosely-fitted renaissance shirt and black pants, accompanied by reddish leather boots.
Suggested environments: Woodlands or a campsite, perhaps.
Anything else we need to know: Nope~
Character name: Varius
Species: Vampire
Gender expression: Masculine(Cis male)
Personality: Independent, reserved, callous.
Brief physical description of the character: He is sickeningly pale, red highlighting smaller features to give the illusion of mortality. His hair is piebald, a tuft of white hair right above his left brow contrasts the jet-black head of hair he initially has. It rests just below his chin and curls delicately, framing his agile face. Just to top it off, his eyes are silver, which pops against an ever-so slightly darker sclera(the white of his eyes is not a normal white like most people, if that makes sense?)
Suggested environments: Graveyard(paying respects to his family, perhaps?), in his home
Character name: Andromeda
Species: Vampire
Gender expression: Femme(Cis female)
Personality: Kind, quiet, grim(get it, lol)
Brief physical description of the character: Her face is softly featured and delicately shaped. Her hair is a light, golden brown that is kept in neat braids and hangs just above her waist. She is rather pale, looking as if she is sick even though she is perfectly preserved. Her eyes are red and look as if she just woke up(Like, they are half-open? Like this)
Suggested environments: Tomb, garden, or a castle?

Can these characters be drawn together? Totally up to you, I don't mind either way bro :)
My first art trade ! I'm excited to put myself out there a little more :]

Character Name: Reyna Malora
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1464271
Species: human
Gender expression: female, cis
Personality: As a friend, Zora, would put it "She's a boot that always ties up a lil' too tight, but she's fashionable, so what's there to complain about ?" In other words, she's very structured, calm, but she can have fun. Occasionally.
I prefer to receive: either ! Do whatever suits your schedule.
Brief physical description of the character: Reyna is thin (not too wirey, just built thinner from genetics). Her skin is pale with a warm undertone and a natural flush on places like the knees, elbow, and nose. She has no visible birthmarks. Her hair flows slick and straight to midway down her back with blue tips that fade extremely gradually from black. Her lips are thin; her bottom lip is a bit bigger. (I'll add her picrew to the gallery section soon. If I don't get around to it, feel free to forward/ask me a question). She doesn't have dramatic hips or shoulders, very rectangular.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) A bay port would be nice, or posing it like it was a promo. photo would also be cool.
Anything else we need to know: She has a very blue colour palette, so the background should contrast a bit. :]

characters to be drawn together if the artist wants
Yes ! Specifically with Zora would be cool. If you drew the whole band, you would be going above and beyond, but please DO NOT feel pressured to.

Character Name: Zora Crell
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials:https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1464271
Gender expression: female, very flamboyant
Personality: as I just said, flamboyant. She's a feisty little bugger, I gotta say.
I prefer to receive: whatever floats your boat.
Brief physical description of the character: Her shoulders are on the broader side, but her hips are the tiniest bit wider. Her hair is short with an undercut and coloured like fire. Her skin is darker than Reyna's, but the undertone is similar.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Anything moody and dark, kind of bar-esque.
Anything else we need to know: she's on and off with Reyna.
If you've listed more than one character, is it okay for your characters to be drawn together if the artist wants (yes or no) it's totally chill, as I said with Reyna :]

Character Name: Felix Stone
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials:https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1464271
Gender expression: male
Personality: Sweet, calm, and caring. He teaches, so it's second nature to be nurturing.
I prefer to receive: Whatever floats your boat
Brief physical description of the character: He's taller with a gentle build (not chiseled, but not bulky. Soft) and a permanent smile). His hair is in thick braids that go to his shoulders. His skin is a warm, mid tone brown.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) a schoolyard or park
Anything else we need to know: nothing much
If you've listed more than one character, is it okay for your characters to be drawn together if the artist wants (yes or no) sure, that's cool

:]
Ilmarinen Moderator

Wahoo!

Character Name: Sivwikkas
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/sivwikkas
Species: isswas (bipedal four-armed alien)
Gender expression: androgynous
Personality: Nervous and naive to a fault. They constantly worry about how they are perceived by their peers and superiors, and desperately want to prove themself as competent. Very intelligent, but perhaps not very wise.
I prefer to receive: Anything!
Brief physical description of the character: A diminutive vaguely-amphibian alien with four arms and a worried smile. Triple-bulbed antennae as well as color changing spots always make it particularly obvious how they're feeling.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Academia, space stations, anything sci-fi or hackery.
Anything else we need to know: Feel free to reinterpret their outfits! The black caps on their toes are like little shoes. I haven't fully decided all the details of their color changing ability, so you can interpret that if you'd like.

Character Name: Gullintanni/Heimdall
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/heimdall
Species: dragon
Gender expression: none/agender
Personality: Stoic and sleepy. It enjoys riddles, and can be quite impish when the mood strikes it.
Brief physical description of the character: A colossal black dragon with beady grey eyes, ram's horns, and thick, spiky scales. Occasionally its scales are carved or inset with gemstones. It wears a gold ring around its left ring finger.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Anywhere! The dragon is my mascot/online persona, so it can be depicted in ways that seem "out of character," such as sitting at a computer, etc.
Anything else we need to know: It no longer wears the Thor's hammer pendant.

Character Name: Magnus Mortlock
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/bro
Gender expression: masculine
Personality: Gregarious, competitive, and outgoing.
Brief physical description of the character: Bodybuilder physique with a charming grin. Tanned skin, blond hair, and a snappy red/black/white outfit.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Gyms, beaches, Pokemon battles--or anything else :)
Anything else we need to know: Feel free to include his Pokemon!

If you've listed more than one character, is it okay for your characters to be drawn together if the artist wants?: No thank you!
Character Name: Erik Reese
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: Here but he shares with three of his brothers.
Species: Incubus
Gender expression: Male
Personality: Flirty, passionate, intense. He seems to be what one might consider a rake or rogue. He is far more than that though.
I prefer to receive: (full body art/bust/either) Anything that you are fine with drawing
Brief physical description of the character: Erik has short red hair except over his right eye and a small piece missing from his left ear. His eyes are a deep rich purple and he is always wearing a male corset over a button-up shirt and dress pants. Elegance and poise are his forte.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) He is a fashion designer so anything to do with clothes or bolts of fabric.
Anything else we need to know: He does have a very slender more feminine build but he is very much a man.

characters to be drawn together if the artist wants
Sure can!

Character Name: Matthew Reese
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: Here but he also shares the page with three of his brothers XD
Species: Incubus
Personality: Fun, energetic, excitable, A happy-go-lucky type of guy who loves to sing.
I prefer to receive: (full body art/bust/either) Anything you want to draw
Brief physical description of the character: Matthew has short wavy black hair. He is usually in t-shirts and jeans with his favorite hoodie. If he is on stage then it depends on whatever the costume designer wants to put him. He looks around sixteen which causes him no end of trouble. Sneakers and he has big sapphire blue eyes.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) On stage or in a kitchen baking
Anything else we need to know: Matthew is the lead singer of an idol boy band and loves to bake sweets. He also makes stuffed animals for children and has a pet squirrel that is always with him.

Yes of course.
Pitting my pair of nemeses against each other! Who will take home the art? 😈

---

Character Name: Azura'ellys
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/azuraellys
Species: Draela'ei (draconic harpy)
Gender expression: Female
Personality: Fierce, withdrawn, and mystical.
I prefer to receive: Either works!
Brief physical description of the character: A deep-blue draconic harpy - half woman, half monster, all force of nature.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Islands and jungles.
Anything else we need to know: Azura can be drawn as a human as well!

---

Character Name: Damien Chase
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/c/kingcobra
Species: Human (haha)
Personality: Cocky, cruel, and unrestrained.
I prefer to receive: Either works!
Brief physical description of the character: Scruffy survivor-man in leather who probably hasn't blinked in ten years.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) Bars and wilderness.
Anything else we need to know: Shirts are optional, but the tattoo is not!

---

Absolutely... as enemies!
Character Name: Aisling
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1464001 l
Species: Faerie (Human sized)
Personality: Regal/can have temperament. Kind and caring. Fiery at times.
I prefer to receive: (full body art/bust/either) either
Brief physical description of the character: she has an hourglass figure, ombre hair that is full of oranges, pinks, and purple. Her wings are like butterfly wings with sunset colors.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) a garden or a throne room
Anything else we need to know: nope

yes

Character Name: Coraline
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1462305
Species: Appears Human is a Selkie
Personality: she's hard working, mysterious, a bit of a dreary person
She has a sturdy body working the light house, she has reddish brown hair, light purple-grey eyes.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background)
A lighthouse, shoreline, or ocean
Anything else we need to know:
Her selkie coat is white is you choose to draw her as a selkie
yes

Character Name: Genevieve
Link to Character's RPR profile or other reference materials: https://www.rprepository.com/character-site/1463617
Species: Half Succubus Half Angel
Personality: Sweet, coy, playful, mature
She has pastel blue hair, tanned skin, golden eyes, small black horns, fluffy white wings, a nice figure.
Suggested environments (if the artist feels like adding a background) a party or club
Anything else we need to know: nope

yes

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Summer Art Trade 2022!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus