Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What are you favorite autumn baked goods?

Sanne Moderator

I'm SUPER DUPER stoked for fall this year. Summer was absolutely miserable for me, and fall will be the change I need in my life. I'm also excited about baking tasty fall goodies again!

So first: what are your favorite autumn specific baked goods? I want to know all about them, and pictures with recipes would be FANTASTIC!!

One of my favorite baked goodies during the autumn and winter seasons are speculaasjes. (Speculaas cookies, not to be confused with speculoos, which is similar but different!)

Speculaas image and recipe

The cookies traditionally look like this and are made with a speculaas-specific mold:

5576891f-2b5b-11e8-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

They're "a type of spiced shortcrust biscuit baked with speculaas spices" and are extremely traditional in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Speculaas spices are very similar to pumpkin spice/gingerbread cookies to my knowledge, so if you like those, you'll love these!

Speculaas spices
2-5 tablespoons ground cinnamon to taste
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground mace (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground dried mandarin zest (optional)

Speculaas cookies:
250 grams all-purpose flour (if you can use bread flour for the higher gluten content)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2-3 tablespoons speculaas spices
pinch of salt
150 grams dark brown sugar (refined sugar with molasses, specifically)
150 grams butter or margarine, room temp
3 tablespoons of lukewarm milk

Mix the flour and baking powder first. Then mix in all the other ingredients using a wooden spoon or your hands, until properly incorporated.

Tightly wrap the dough in plastic foil and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 175 Celsius or 345 Fahrenheit.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. You can also use a drinking glass for round cookies, or cut rectangles with a butter knife. Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with baking paper (NOT wax paper).

Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

If you have leftover dough and are waiting for a tray to finish baking, wrap the dough back in the plastic foil and store in the fridge until you can make the next batch. You want the dough relatively cold when working with it.
Kim Site Admin

I have never even heard of these but they look BEAUTIFUL
I guess they aren't technically autumn-specific, but they have the fall vibe for me. It's cinnamon rolls. LOVE cinnamon rolls, with cream cheese icing.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Kim wrote:
I have never even heard of these but they look BEAUTIFUL

I HIGHLY encourage giving them a try, if you can't bake your own, I'm 100% convinced you can buy them off Amazon or local retailers who stock international foods. Next to stroopwafels these are super popular.

TheLorekeeper wrote:
I guess they aren't technically autumn-specific, but they have the fall vibe for me. It's cinnamon rolls. LOVE cinnamon rolls, with cream cheese icing.

I've never had them, do you have a recipe that you love if you make them yourself? :D
Aya

I think I've once eaten something similar to those, and they're wonderful with tea or coffee!

My favorite would have to be Moon Cakes, the Chinese type. It's the Mid Autumn Festival soon, and they're so delicious, especially date flavored. I'm a big fan of carrot cake too, with frosting of course. šŸ°šŸ„§šŸµ
Sanne wrote:
TheLorekeeper wrote:

I've never had them, do you have a recipe that you love if you make them yourself? :D
Honestly I've never baked them myself, I just get them from the grocery store. Where I am, at least, you can buy them in the bakery section of pretty much any store, as well as anywhere that sells coffee and donuts and that kind of thing (7Eleven, Tim Hortons, Starbucks, etc.)
Sanne wrote:
I'm SUPER DUPER stoked for fall this year. Summer was absolutely miserable for me, and fall will be the change I need in my life. I'm also excited about baking tasty fall goodies again!

So first: what are your favorite autumn specific baked goods? I want to know all about them, and pictures with recipes would be FANTASTIC!!

One of my favorite baked goodies during the autumn and winter seasons are speculaasjes. (Speculaas cookies, not to be confused with speculoos, which is similar but different!)

The cookies traditionally look like this and are made with a speculaas-specific mold:

They're "a type of spiced shortcrust biscuit baked with speculaas spices" and are extremely traditional in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany. Speculaas spices are very similar to pumpkin spice/gingerbread cookies to my knowledge, so if you like those, you'll love these!

Speculaas spices
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Speculaas cookies:
250 grams all-purpose flour (if you can use bread flour for the higher gluten content)
pinch of salt

Mix the flour and baking powder first. Then mix in all the other ingredients using a wooden spoon or your hands, until properly incorporated.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. You can also use a drinking glass for round cookies, or cut rectangles with a butter knife. Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with baking paper (NOT wax paper).

If you have leftover dough and are waiting for a tray to finish baking, wrap the dough back in the plastic foil and store in the fridge until you can make the next batch. You want the dough relatively cold when working with it.

Those look yummy! :D
*yoinks one*

Been to hot here to do much baking, and my little oven only allows small batch baking. But I see cinnamon rolls mentioned, and I love making those! There is nothing like a fresh soft cinnamon roll with a cup of coffee on a cool autumn morning! I found a recipe online (Ambitious Kitchen)
Cinnamon Roll Recipe

Fresh Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients
For the dough:
Ā¾ cup warm milk (whole milk or 2% preferred) (110 degrees F)
2 Ā¼ teaspoons quick rise or active yeast (1/4-ounce package yeast)
Ā¼ cup granulated sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
Ā¼ cup butter, melted (I prefer salted, but unsalted works, too)
3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
3/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
2/3 cup dark brown sugar (light brown sugar also works)
1 Ā½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
Ā¼ cup butter, softened
For the cream cheese frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
Ā¾ cup powdered sugar
Ā½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions
Warm milk to around 110 degrees F. I like to do this by placing milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving it for 40-45 seconds. It should be like warm bath water. Transfer warm milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle yeast on top. Add in sugar, egg, egg yolk and melted butter. Mix until well combined. Next stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form.

Place dough hook on stand mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky. If it's TOO sticky (meaning it's sticking to the bottom of the mixer, add in 2 tablespoons more bread flour.) If you donā€™t want to use an electric mixer, you can use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a well-floured surface.

Transfer dough ball to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour to 1 Ā½ hours, or until doubled in size. This may more or less time depending the humidity and temperature in your home.

After dough has doubled in size, transfer dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a Ā¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Use your hands to sprinkle mixture over the buttered dough, then rub the brown sugar mixture into the butter.

Tightly roll dough up, starting from the 9-inch side and place seam side down making sure to seal the edges of the dough as best you can. You will probably need to cut off about an inch off the ends of the dough as the ends wonā€™t be as full of cinnamon sugar as weā€™d want it to be.

Cut into 1 inch sections with a serrated knife or floss. You should get 9 large pieces.
Place cinnamon rolls in a greased 9x9 inch baking pan or round 9 inch cake pan. (I also recommend lining the pan with parchment paper as well, in case any of the filling ends up leaking out.) Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel and let rise again for 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the edges. You want to underbake them a little so they stay soft in the middle, thatā€™s why we want them just slightly golden brown. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting. Makes 9 cinnamon rolls.

To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread over cinnamon rolls and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Recipe Notes
To make overnight cinnamon rolls:
After placing rolls into the greased pan (after the first rise), simply cover, place overnight in the fridge and then bake them in the morning as directed. I like to bring my cinnamon rolls to room temperature first by leaving them on the counter for 30-45 minutes before baking (this is known as the second rise).

Specifications
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Servings: 9 large cinnamon rolls
Author: Monique Volz of AmbitiousKitchen
Pumpkin pie, my family has it for every thanksgiving either store-brought or home-made.
Astrobeans wrote:
Pumpkin pie, my family has it for every thanksgiving either store-brought or home-made.
Astro, Astro knows what they're talking about.

Pumpkin pie is the ideal form of food and has no notable flaws. Which I think is the nicest thing I've said about anything.

Dawnia wrote:
Sanne wrote:

Speculaas spices
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves

Speculaas cookies:
pinch of salt

Those look yummy! :D
*yoinks one*

Been to hot here to do much baking, and my little oven only allows small batch baking. But I see cinnamon rolls mentioned, and I love making those! There is nothing like a fresh soft cinnamon roll with a cup of coffee on a cool autumn morning! I found a recipe online (Ambitious Kitchen)
Cinnamon Roll Recipe

Fresh Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients
For the dough:
Ā¾ cup warm milk (whole milk or 2% preferred) (110 degrees F)
2 Ā¼ teaspoons quick rise or active yeast (1/4-ounce package yeast)
Ā¼ cup granulated sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
Ā¼ cup butter, melted (I prefer salted, but unsalted works, too)
3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
3/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
2/3 cup dark brown sugar (light brown sugar also works)
1 Ā½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
Ā¼ cup butter, softened
For the cream cheese frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
Ā¾ cup powdered sugar
Ā½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions
Warm milk to around 110 degrees F. I like to do this by placing milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving it for 40-45 seconds. It should be like warm bath water. Transfer warm milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle yeast on top. Add in sugar, egg, egg yolk and melted butter. Mix until well combined. Next stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form.

Place dough hook on stand mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky. If it's TOO sticky (meaning it's sticking to the bottom of the mixer, add in 2 tablespoons more bread flour.) If you donā€™t want to use an electric mixer, you can use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a well-floured surface.

Transfer dough ball to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour to 1 Ā½ hours, or until doubled in size. This may more or less time depending the humidity and temperature in your home.

After dough has doubled in size, transfer dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a Ā¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Use your hands to sprinkle mixture over the buttered dough, then rub the brown sugar mixture into the butter.

Tightly roll dough up, starting from the 9-inch side and place seam side down making sure to seal the edges of the dough as best you can. You will probably need to cut off about an inch off the ends of the dough as the ends wonā€™t be as full of cinnamon sugar as weā€™d want it to be.

Cut into 1 inch sections with a serrated knife or floss. You should get 9 large pieces.
Place cinnamon rolls in a greased 9x9 inch baking pan or round 9 inch cake pan. (I also recommend lining the pan with parchment paper as well, in case any of the filling ends up leaking out.) Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel and let rise again for 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the edges. You want to underbake them a little so they stay soft in the middle, thatā€™s why we want them just slightly golden brown. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting. Makes 9 cinnamon rolls.

To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread over cinnamon rolls and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Recipe Notes
To make overnight cinnamon rolls:
After placing rolls into the greased pan (after the first rise), simply cover, place overnight in the fridge and then bake them in the morning as directed. I like to bring my cinnamon rolls to room temperature first by leaving them on the counter for 30-45 minutes before baking (this is known as the second rise).

Specifications
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Servings: 9 large cinnamon rolls
Author: Monique Volz of AmbitiousKitchen

OOOOHHH thank you!! I'm putting this on my list of baked goodies to make this fall!!

Astrobeans wrote:

I've had a few iterations of pumpkin pie, but they've always tasted kind of... bland, to me? They were homemade ones, made by friends, but everyone seems to LOVE them and I can't figure out why.

I'm super curious to know what a favorite recipe is and see if the people I know just didn't make them 'right', or if I'm just one of those weirdos who doesn't like pumpkin pie. XD
Sanne wrote:
Astrobeans wrote:

I've had a few iterations of pumpkin pie, but they've always tasted kind of... bland, to me? They were homemade ones, made by friends, but everyone seems to LOVE them and I can't figure out why.

I'm super curious to know what a favorite recipe is and see if the people I know just didn't make them 'right', or if I'm just one of those weirdos who doesn't like pumpkin pie. XD

You are not a weirdo for not liking pumpkin pie. I mean, everyone has their own tastebuds.
This thread has reminded me that it is approaching pumpkin spice coffee and chocolate pecan pie season and I desperately want some chocolate pecan pie.
Those look delicious!! I need to make them. My fave fall baked goods are, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, apple crumble, chai spiced breadā€¦ any bread really šŸ˜‚
Aardbei wrote:
This thread has reminded me that it is approaching pumpkin spice coffee and chocolate pecan pie season and I desperately want some chocolate pecan pie.
I've never even heard of chocolate pecan pie but it sounds delightful. Also, where I live, it's been pumpkin spice coffee season since late August. As much as I love that stuff, I think it was a bit early to start selling it... Though that's kind of just how things are. Halloween and even Christmas stuff is already being sold here because that's just what companies do.
Not an autumn food exactly, but my boyfriend is huge into making brookie at the moment and it's amazing. I ate most of it last time so this time he kept it out of my reach ;v;

I've always wanted to try pumpkin. Pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice... I always planned to but never got around to it. Is it nice? A huge fan of fruit pies/tarts, too.

I've never actually tried pecans, either... I've got a bit of a list this year, I think!
Faedreamer wrote:
Aardbei wrote:
I've never even heard of chocolate pecan pie but it sounds delightful. Also, where I live, it's been pumpkin spice coffee season since late August. As much as I love that stuff, I think it was a bit early to start selling it... Though that's kind of just how things are. Halloween and even Christmas stuff is already being sold here because that's just what companies do.

Yeah even Amazon's dumping costume and candy discounts on me ever since mid August. Guess it's a symptom of living in a society that buys at scale.

Chocolate pecan pie is just pecan pie with chocolate syrup on top, or sometimes mixed in. I also like normal pecan pie, but there's always something special about chocolate. My grandpappy and I used to get a whole pie and share it... The flavor makes me think of him.
Aardbei wrote:
Faedreamer wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

Yeah even Amazon's dumping costume and candy discounts on me ever since mid August. Guess it's a symptom of living in a society that buys at scale.

Chocolate pecan pie is just pecan pie with chocolate syrup on top, or sometimes mixed in. I also like normal pecan pie, but there's always something special about chocolate. My grandpappy and I used to get a whole pie and share it... The flavor makes me think of him.
I found a recipe that's essentially regular pecan pie but melted chocolate is added to the filling. I might try to make it soon (or maybe convince someone else to make and share it haha- I'm not much of a baker.)
By the way, for people who don't know, pumpkin spice is not meant to contain actual pumpkin at all. It refers to the blend of spices that's used to make pumpkin pie (and other things of course.) I've heard that Starbucks got sued a couple of years ago, for not putting pumpkin in their pumpkin spice lattes; clearly the people who got mad about it didn't realize what pumpkin spice is. Sooo now the drink apparently has a tiny bit of real pumpkin in it, despite the fact that it should just be spices.
Faedreamer wrote:
By the way, for people who don't know, pumpkin spice is not meant to contain actual pumpkin at all. It refers to the blend of spices that's used to make pumpkin pie (and other things of course.) I've heard that Starbucks got sued a couple of years ago, for not putting pumpkin in their pumpkin spice lattes; clearly the people who got mad about it didn't realize what pumpkin spice is. Sooo now the drink apparently has a tiny bit of real pumpkin in it, despite the fact that it should just be spices.

That... sounds like America, yeah.

Pumpkin spice, to my knowledge, is just 5 spices. Checking on Wikipedia, it looks like I'm correct, though I didn't know it didn't always contain allspice. I assumed that was its base ingredient, but apparently it doesn't always.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie_spice

Pretty sure they use this in carrot cake also?

I don't know if carrot cake contains real carrots either, haha.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What are you favorite autumn baked goods?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus