Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Emojis!

This is more of a 'Here ya go!' thread, because it took me way longer than I'd care to admit that I realized people were using emojis like these ( πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‹πŸ˜­πŸ₯°πŸ˜€ ) from a different site altogether instead of relying on RPR to give you a face for whatever you type e.g. XD :s :3 ( which are X D : s and : 3 ) There are many many other emojis to be had on this linked site such as πŸ‘€πŸŽπŸƒβ€β™‚οΈπŸŒΏπŸ­. Hopefully someone will find this before trying all manner of typeface emoji combinations like I did ^^'
Now, not every single emoji will work with RPR, but many of them do! Another thing: Emojis can change how they appear when using different devices and browsers. Just a warning in case you do not want inconsistences!
Here's the link! Enjoy!! https://getemoji.com/

(I have saved it in my favorites; and whenever I am on RPR, I have a second window pulled up so I can quickly nab an emoji and then paste it into my conversations!🀭)
That's kind of you to share. ^_^

One of your comments makes me curious, though. Did you just try guessing what text might get you a result, or were you aware of and referencing the Help page where RPR lists its supported emojis?

See more
Emojis that function as a type character (like the ones on the site you shared) can sometimes display differently depending on what someone is looking at it through, and some devices or browsers may not support them at all. The supported ones are actively replacing the text with an image, keeping the display consistent across any browsers that show images.

Overall, both kinds certainly have their strengths and weaknesses!
Arjastro Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
Did you just try guessing what text might get you a result, or were you aware of and referencing the Help page where RPR lists its supported emojis?
Yessss!!!! I never found that thread! Thank you!! (By the way, is what we are in right now called a thread, and where the threads are collected under called a forum? I have yet to completely figure that out ^^') I searched 'emoji' and 'emojis' in the help bar, but never even thought of the word emoticons!! It was super frustrating. Nottt going to lie ^^;

I was aware of the emojis changing when using different devices, but I hadn't thought of different browsers having differing looks. Thanks for the input! Is it alright with you if I put that in the original post?
Arjastro wrote:
(By the way, is what we are in right now called a thread, and where the threads are collected under called a forum? I have yet to completely figure that out ^^')

Hoboy, that's more of a mess than you might realize. XD People aren't super consistent about which terms they use for what, and what's most common can vary a bit on different sites and platforms. I can tell you for sure that how you put it there is not wrong, though.

Messy Specifics

For these individual lines of posts/conversation, I'm used to calling them "threads," but in official RPR stuff they are referred to as "topics." I also commonly see people refer to them as "forums," which I try not to fuss about; the term would be functionally accurate in some spaces, and it's usually clear enough what's meant from the context. Similarly, some folks will call it a "post," with all responses added being "replies," "comments," or more "posts."

The space where a bunch of topics/threads are collected can be a "forum" or a "subforum." On RPR, "subforum" isn't really all that useful outside of groups, since the public ones don't have enough of a hierarchy for the term to make much sense, and I doubt anyone would have a problem with just sticking universally to "forum."

The page I linked to was really just a "page" from the Help documentation (look at the links for "Being Social" ;) ), even though a few pages do have some old comments attached. Comments (which basically are just a simplified, more limited variation of posts) can also be left on official news posts/announcements, character guestbooks, and I've forgotten if they can also be left on character journals.

Really, you can get away with just the terms "post" and "page" if you're not sure. ^_^ Occasionally ya might need to go with "section" or such.

(This is me trying not to over-explain things, btw. ^^; )

Arjastro wrote:
I searched 'emoji' and 'emojis' in the help bar, but never even thought of the word emoticons!!

The terminology there developed really weirdly, and I suspect at least partly flipped at some point. Mostly, blame things on a lot of us being Millennials, especially the "Gen Y" Millennials who grew up alongside the internet instead of with it. XD (We were the ones who'd already accepted the name "Gen Y" and initially thought "Millennials" was the name for the one following our unusually narrow range.)

More messy word stuff
I grew up with the terms "emoticons" and "smilies," with no consistent distinction that I could identify. Just seemed to be personal preference. Didn't take long for "emoticon" to start getting shortened to "emote" (even though "emote" was sometimes used to refer to narratively typing out an action or response, like *smiles*). At some point I started seeing terms like "emoji" and "kaomoji" being used, but it took awhile before "emoji" appeared to become so standard. And which terms mean what is apparently a disaster.

"Smilies" can be ignored as a term, I think it's been mostly abandoned.

"Kaomoji" refers to text-character faces that are upright instead of sideways, commonly accomplished using non-English characters (especially Japanese ones). The Lenny Face, for example, is a kaomoji.

Between kaomoji being text and emoticon literally being "emotion icon," one might think (as I did) that if there was any actual difference between "emoticon" and "emoji," that it'd be that "emoticon" is when an image/icon is displayed and "emoji" would refer to it being displayed as text. But nope, apparently that's backwards, and I might be grumpy about that for awhile now. ^^; I'll just accept that most people still consider the terms interchangeable.

*shakes a fist at the dictionary*

Arjastro wrote:
Is it alright with you if I put that in the original post?

Fine by me. :) And you might be (probably are) right about it being mostly just a device difference. It's been awhile since I did any proper browser comparisons.
Kim Site Admin

Arjastro wrote:
I searched 'emoji' and 'emojis' in the help bar, but never even thought of the word emoticons!! It was super frustrating. Nottt going to lie ^^;
Whoops! I just corrected this, searching for emoji or emojis in the help bar should now get you to the appropriate article.

When I wrote that article in like 2010, I don't think I had ever even heard the word emoji yet. >.>
Arjastro Topic Starter

Haha, I see they really are messy specifics! Your crash course in the whole forum deal helped explain that basically: Try my best and forget the rest ^^; I followed along but am also glad you went with a simpler versionπŸ˜† It makes sense that the uses and what is called what is jumbled across different sites.

As for the emoticon-emoji talk, after becoming active on this site again and realizing that it got its start in 2010, I can see how that all went down.
I used to type a variety of kaomoji but found it would annoy others and have them place stigmas on you, so emojis I went! XD
The term "smilies" is so cute! If only it was not basically dead.. Though I spose it wouldn't make a lot of sense now with the wide range of emotions we've been provided.

Zelphyr wrote:
if there was any actual difference between "emoticon" and "emoji," that it'd be that "emoticon" is when an image/icon is displayed and "emoji" would refer to it being displayed as text. But nope, apparently that's backwards, and I might be grumpy about that for awhile now. ^^; I'll just accept that most people still consider the terms interchangeable.

Now that you've pointed it out... I'm going to have it in the back of my mind every now and again. I'll be carrying that burden with you! α—‘x

This is a side note, but I see you respond to others, not just in in the help forum but also in the games and chill convos and you're so kind and seem to put care into your answers! It's just nice to see you around and know there are people on this site that go the extra mile 'n help make RPR a warmer place ^^ (No pressure to constantly be giving long answers though! You do you :))

Kim wrote:
Whoops! I just corrected this, searching for emoji or emojis in the help bar should now get you to the appropriate article.

When I wrote that article in like 2010, I don't think I had ever even heard the word emoji yet. >.>

Haha I understand! I should have just asked a question about it, but alas, one year ago me was too afraid. I'm glad you've added to it! Though I do wonder... Were other people not as invested in using emoticons, or were they like me and just didn't ask? <_< Anywho!

You are on: Forums » Help » Emojis!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus