Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Age settings for RP ads

Maybe instead of it reading "All Ages" or "18+" it could read "All Ages" and "My Age group"?

I don't know if it does that already since I joined the site as an adult but perhaps minors should be able to hide ads from adults the same way adults can hide them from minors? Obviously the 18+ thing is a bit more than comfort level for adults, but I do feel like it's reasonable for kids to hide RPs from people outside of their own age group and experience.

I'd also suggest a setting for 16+ or 21+ being options available depending on the age of the user, but I don't really know how much work that would be and I'm aware this divide mostly exists to avoid legal trouble anyway. I suppose the only reason I'm even making the suggestion is because I've seen examples of sitewide changes that are specifically designed for the comfort of the users already and I think y'all actually care beyond legal stuff, haha.
Kim Site Admin

Aardbei wrote:
Maybe instead of it reading "All Ages" or "18+" it could read "All Ages" and "My Age group"?

I don't know if it does that already since I joined the site as an adult but perhaps minors should be able to hide ads from adults the same way adults can hide them from minors? Obviously the 18+ thing is a bit more than comfort level for adults, but I do feel like it's reasonable for kids to hide RPs from people outside of their own age group and experience.

I agree that kids should get their own spaces. I haven't figured it out on the forums yet. I have looked into this several times, and what I keep running into is that if you post a "my age group" topic while 17, then turn 18 two weeks later, something silly happens. We get to pick our flavor of silly, but I haven't seen anything very feasible that feels intuitive yet. You end up getting locked out of your own topic, or suddenly everyone else who was talking to you gets locked out, or suddenly your topic ends up "not counting" and being an "any ages" topic which is not what the people responding were expecting and they may not notice that some of the new people chatting in there are abruptly full on adults, etc.

Making something 18+ is vastly easier because people can gain but never lose access to this category, but this is not the case for "younger than" topics.

I was able to manage letting people restrict starting inbox conversations to "my age group" because the restriction only applies to beginning the conversation. Once the conversation is started, the people in it can continue to use it to chat even if one of them "ages out" during the convo. By contrast, the forums are participatory chaos.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Age settings for RP ads

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus