Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Could we get a like button? (PLANNED as reactions)

I was wondering if there was a way to implement a like button of some sorts? It would be cool if we could show some extra appreciation to others posts and comments. As someone who looks around at forums but is either too busy or shy to comment, it'll be nice to at least acknowledge someone especially if I am in agreement with them.

I am not sure if this has been discussed beforehand, if it has then disregard XD lol
I think I remember a previous discussion where this idea was rejected, but I don't remember the reasoning behind it.
AquaCharm Topic Starter

Oh darn! Well that sucks!
yeah, i feel awkward taking up thread space with quoting something just to give it props, and find myself looking for the 'thumbs up' button to leave a quick 'heck yeah'.

i imagine introducing any kind of numbers game could have a detrimental effect on the discourse, probably. suddenly you have to phrase your comment carefully, craft whole paragraphs trying to make THE statement that will net as many likes as possible, like you'll be on a stage you weren't on before because you aren't just replying to the thread OP you're replying to anyone who might be reading too

it's kind of a relief that i get to opt out of quoting just to agree, too, because honestly there is so much to do here that should be taking up our typing attention anyway. plus, i like to let fantastic comments stand on their own power, making room for smaller avenues of nuance to chime in for-or-against-or-adjacent to.
This has indeed been rejected before, specifically out of concern over popularity games and whatnot. Though maybe if it was something that'd only show up for the poster? Sure, others wouldn't be able to see someone else's "stamp of approval," but the person who wrote the post could still see it being appreciated.

Down side is if someone starts noticing a pattern in what they get positive feedback on that either makes them uncomfortable in some way or that encourages them to adjust their interactions to collect quick approval rather than engaging in any sort of meaningful conversation. Y'know, kinda like how creators on sites like YouTube have to craft their presentation in ways that appease The Algorithm rather than ways that add anything helpful or meaningful to the site or the world (just that it'd be more of a personal satisfaction thing rather than someone's literal livelihood at stake).
Kim Site Admin

Adding reactions of is actually on my list at this point. :)
Kim wrote:

...you know, I'm pretty sure you've said that before, and I've seen it, and I just... totally forgot. Probably for not the first time. XD
AquaCharm Topic Starter

Kim wrote:

That would be totally awesome, Kim!

But I do understand your concerns Zelphyr.
Faedreamer wrote:
I think I remember a previous discussion where this idea was rejected, but I don't remember the reasoning behind it.
I've realized that the discussion I was remembering was actually about a like button for characters, not posts.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Could we get a like button? (PLANNED as reactions)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus