Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Notification When Quoted? (PLANNED as @s)

I could just be blind to this setting, but I don't get any notices if I've been quoted in a discussion thread.

It's not an URGENT issue, at all, like it's no extra work to simply see a thread has more replies and read through, BUT notifications when you're quoted could help reduce the feeling of hangtime or weird forum silence when conversing in-thread. Would also encourage writers to quote the person they're responding to, which can cut back on confusion.
Kim Site Admin

I think this is related to @ing other users, which is definitely a planned feature, though more complicated than people might imagine given our character system.
oven Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
I think this is related to @ing other users, which is definitely a planned feature, though more complicated than people might imagine given our character system.

i believe it! thanks for the reply, i would have never drawn that parallel on my own
Luscinioide

got curious and looked into how similar character hosting hubs handle @s:

seems like the general consensus is that it's easiest to achieve with unique IDs as opposed to using names. i guess most places let you directly @ people by usernames because you obviously can't have two people with the same username. different story for characters. not entirely sure how it would work here considering custom URLs look like they override the 'unique ID' that gets assigned to a character's profile when it's created (although i don't actually know how that system works), but...

this is what it looks like currently on another character hosting site:
5HXuHJT.png

unique ID for characters. looks very similar to how rpr handles it.
TH link: toyhou.se/"18359316".majima
RPR link: rprepository.com/character-site/"1472837"

WlWJKNI.png

when i want to tag a character in something, it brings up a menu like this. it lets me search for characters from any given username and shows me the ID for their characters. sounds like that'd be overkill for just forum mentions, though. this one's all fancy because it's intended to let you tag other people's characters in images that you upload to a profile's gallery.

forum posts on TH differentiate user mentions as "@" and character mentions as "@@".

so, user mention: "@Luscinioide"
character mention: "@@(character ID number)"

it's not a perfect system by any means (without the menu, you'd have to go to the character's profile to find their ID every time you want to mention them - and i'm not sure how it'd play with custom urls) but i just thought it was worth throwing out there.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Notification When Quoted? (PLANNED as @s)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus