Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » C2H5OH ~ What's your Poison?

Rogue-Scribe

I myself prefer good ales. A bit of a hophead, and the bitterer the betterer. Occasionally I enjoy a good Scotch on the rocks, but rarely. Only lately have I been making an attempt to enjoy good wine. Be it wine or beer, I love the cheese that goes with it. A good brew or wine with some brie and sharp chedder is such a joy. So what is your pleasure?

Disclaimer: This is for the drinkers of alcoholic beverages. If you don't drink or used to drink but don't anymore, that is cool, but no need to reply saying you don't drink. If you are under legal age and drink, it is probably best you not say anything either.
Bourbon and Coke.
Oh yes oh yes a good thread this be.

Beer and whiskey mostly.

Red wine with food a good time make.

Whiskey: Mix with milk or dry lemon(cc co. za) or clean, no ice for better whiskeys.

Beer be Castle Milk Stout or Black Lable.
I just turned 21 this year and have only tried three different things haha. White rum (just straight, yes,), pink moscato, and strawberry pineapple moscato, and also putting white rum in strawberry pineapple moscato lmao.

I have to say my favorite was probably the mixing the rum and moscato. :P
I enjoy mixed drinks, wines and beers. Albeit when it comes to beer, I'm blessed to live in a city with a bunch of microbreweries. One of my favourites being Moon Under Water. I am a fan of stouts, because meals in a pint save time. XD No, just kidding. I just adore full, dark flavour.

When it comes to wines, I love Cono sur. They are a Chilean wine company, and their bicicletta wines are cheap but for great taste. I personally recommend any of them, except their Gewürztraminer. Wasn't a big fan of that one, despite wanting to be. When it comes to Viognier in particular, I recommend Pennautier, from the Pays D'oc region of France.

Spirit wise, I adore Drambuie. Cannot sing its praises enough! A Lagavulin, sans rocks, but a dash of chilled filtered water suits me on rare occasions. Spiced rums are also great. And you can never go wrong with adding some Grand Marnier or Goldschläger to hot chocolate. <3
I mix vodka or gin with anything that doesn't taste like sharpie markers and that basically does it for me. Honourable mention: ice wine. Canada makes good ice wine.

(It's also worth mentioning that the drinking age here is eighteen or nineteen depending on your province.)
Amatoxin, the poison of the deadly Amanita mushroom, mixed with batrachotoxin, found in the beetles eaten by the poison dart frog. :)
Yeah joking of course, but I avoid alcohol, my tolerance is a zero, drink a single shot of a beer is enough to make me sick.
Rogue-Scribe Topic Starter

(Lol! My test on how well people read is going nicely! Got five posts after mine before someone who doesn’t drink alcohol posted. That is pretty good in this day and age!)

Yes, the Pacific NW USA and west coast Canada and Alaska tend to make some lovely brews! The drinking age here in Oz is 18. It isn’t fragmented by the states. I know the drinking age in the USA is 21, and I think it is country wide. Didn’t know Canada had different ages in different provinces.

My tendency in ales seems to be toward the ‘hoppy red’ IPA, with my palate giving the whole NEIPA fad a miss. I don’t want fruit juice. If I did, I’d drink fresh apple cider.

Brisbane has been blessed with several new microbreweries opening up the last few years. Used to be a good beer desert, with the stalwart Brisbane Brewing Company carrying the ball. Their old ‘Taffinator Taffy Bock was awesome, but more recently, the West End is the Best End Cascadian Dark Ale was a go-to fav of mine.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Bob Dylan whiskey and coke. Heineken and strong export beers.
Deumeawyn

I’m a red wine girl, and a white wine girl, and a red ale girl ... yeah.
Queen_of_Hell

I come from Balkan, which means underage drinking is kind of a thing here and unavoidable. I tried some strong alcohol when I was 16 in the bathroom of high school (it was art high school, it's a different world on it's own, lol) but I did start drinking when I was 18, when it's legal, while everything before it was trying out stuff.

Honestly, I have good experience with alcohol and I drank almost everything that I could get my hands on and my tolerance awed even myself. My poison is is good brew after heavy lunch on a hot summer day, but cherry brandy I will pick any day. It's one of those things that is very sweet and tasty and you think you can drink a ton and then you get up only to fall back into the place haha hits you like a bus.

Well tonight it's Modus Operendi Black IPA. It kicked me in the head and I've been writing RP posts and posting on the forums ... hopefully I don't piss anybody off with this round of drunk-posting. :D

Happy New Year 2019!
Got a fridge full of 4 Pines Pale and Newstead IPA, and some Glem Moray Scotch as well. I could do some serious brain and liver damage here but I'm trying to go slow. Hopefully I don't drunk-post too much here in the next 4½ hours before 2019 hits here in Australia. But then some have told me that I do some of my best RP writing when I'm drunk, so go figure. I think I'll hide this in case the kiddies are still up.
I like really dry ciders. Sometimes I order a dark beer, but I like white wine with fish or salads... I suppose I'm not terribly picky.

Bonus: When I feel like spoiling myself at home, I make hot lumumba with dark rum, double cream, brown sugar, vanilla, milk, cocoa and marshmallows.

Or Irish Coffee.
Probably no surprise to those who've met me, but I'm a beer drinker. Common beer favorite is Bud Light, but I take pride in trying and drinking a lot of different kinds as well, always on the lookout for something new. Shinerbock is absolutely a favorite and is like the unofficial Official Beer of Texas, and they do a lot of very good seasonal beers (Shiner Prickly Pear = <3). Draft Guinness is always nice, some of the Sam Adams (they did a Dark Chocolate Cherry Stout one year that was amazing, and they make the only IPA that I actually like), Mexican beers have a particular 'burnt' taste that I enjoy a lot (Modelo Negro is my go-to at Mexican restaurants, and there's always just something perfect about Corona with salt and lime when you're chowing tacos with your friends).

Ciders I try a lot of, but my favorite by far is Angry Orchard Green Apple, though the Crisp Apple isn't bad at all. I've found that any cider that comes out of a can is going to be bad, but ones in glass bottles are okay, which makes me wonder about chemical reactions to the aluminum.

When it comes to wine, I am super #basic and like box wine, especially the Franzia Sunset Blush. I know, I'm a heathen.

Liquor is kinda funny, as anything "brown" makes me sick very quickly. Vodka is my friend, though, especially when mixing (Peppermint or cinnamon vodka + hot chocolate, or Moscow Mules). Gin is fine in small amounts, and I really prefer my gin 'n tonics made with Bombay Sapphire gin and key limes.

I also enjoy subjecting myself to the misery of my own poor creations. Apfelwine and various meads are my usual concoctions, and haven't always gone well, but sometimes they've gone wonderfully, as was the case with last years Blackberry Mead and this years Pineapple Mead that I've brewed up (brewing is a very fun and easy hobby). I also greatly enjoy making kvass, which while alcoholic, also isn't exactly alcoholic and is even considered a kid's beverage in some places.
Consciously choosing to ignore the fact that this thread is for alcoholic beverages. Just because I wanted to participate.

As you'd likely guess by the sentence above, I don't drink alcohol and I never have, so I can't comment on what's good in the alcohol department. Which is actually funny, considered I once worked with selling liquor.
Anyway. I like experimenting with non-alcoholic drinks, and sometimes mix colorful drinks at home without alcohol. When I'm travelling, I like tasting local non-alcoholic drinks and soft drinks, and I actually also find it quite amusing to try things like Coca Cola in different countries, because it doesn't always taste the same. My absolute favorite drink was one that was mixed specifically for me by a bartender in Prague, which was nothing short of amazing, but I was unfortunately never told what he called it or what was in it. Which is a darn shame!

My boyfriend drinks alcohol and likes to sample beverages from around the world as well. We recently went to America on a road trip, and in every state he would try their local drink/beer/wine/liquor/all of the above. Beer wise, I think he prefers most IPAs.
I recently brought home beers and wine from a Palestinian brewery, called Taybeh, and while he wasn't a fan of the white wine, I think he'll really like the beers.

Sorry I crashed this forum. Also... not really that sorry. Happy new year!
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Bob Dylan whiskey double barrel and Tennessee bourbon.

Penholder's Eloquent Post
Penholder wrote:
Consciously choosing to ignore the fact that this thread is for alcoholic beverages. Just because I wanted to participate.

As you'd likely guess by the sentence above, I don't drink alcohol and I never have, so I can't comment on what's good in the alcohol department. Which is actually funny, considered I once worked with selling liquor.
Anyway. I like experimenting with non-alcoholic drinks, and sometimes mix colorful drinks at home without alcohol. When I'm travelling, I like tasting local non-alcoholic drinks and soft drinks, and I actually also find it quite amusing to try things like Coca Cola in different countries, because it doesn't always taste the same. My absolute favorite drink was one that was mixed specifically for me by a bartender in Prague, which was nothing short of amazing, but I was unfortunately never told what he called it or what was in it. Which is a darn shame!

My boyfriend drinks alcohol and likes to sample beverages from around the world as well. We recently went to America on a road trip, and in every state he would try their local drink/beer/wine/liquor/all of the above. Beer wise, I think he prefers most IPAs.
I recently brought home beers and wine from a Palestinian brewery, called Taybeh, and while he wasn't a fan of the white wine, I think he'll really like the beers.

Sorry I crashed this forum. Also... not really that sorry. Happy new year!

That is awesome Penholder! Glad you posted! And hats off to you for keeping your liver intact! ;)

A Palestinian brewery? Interesting indeed! I'm thinking the climate there would suggest lagers, and the religious aspects of brewing there must be strange and intense.

I was just going through all my receipts from my Canadian and Washington state trip in November and logging in my brews on Untappd.
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
A Palestinian brewery? Interesting indeed! I'm thinking the climate there would suggest lagers, and the religious aspects of brewing there must be strange and intense.

Yes! I hosted an event where they sponsored us, giving us free beer from their brewery :) There were... 4 or 5 different beers, one of them being a non-alcoholic beer. The owner of the company was so upset, because I told him that my boyfriend had been skeptical of the idea of Palestinian beer, that he filled my backpack with the different kinds of beers for me to take home to my boyfriend. Now we're just waiting for summer to return, so he can drink them in the sun.

(2 years on)

Happy 2021! I still have a functioning liver and enjoying a Brick Lane Revolver black IPA. Enjoying a Win!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » C2H5OH ~ What's your Poison?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus