Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What books do you recomend?

Rogue-Scribe

I’ll throw a few more books in here that I enjoyed reading.

- Teachings of Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda
  • This is a good read if you don’t mind first-person narration. Approach it as fictional.
- The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey
  • This is a fictional story about extremist environmental activism in the southwest United States. It was quite an enjoyable read and the illustrations by Robert Crumb (some editions) are really good.
- The Willing Flesh by Willie Heinrich
  • A soldier’s account of battle and life in a smallarms unit in the German Wehrmacht deep in Soviet Russia in the aftermath of the Battle of Stalingrad. Betrayed by their commander who’s desire to win an Iron Cross was scuttled by the unit’s platoon sergeant when he won’t give testimony for his deeds, they are cutoff by the attacking Soviet army and have to find their way west to their own lines. The trouble is their lines keep retreating west. A good World War 2 novel.
- The Illustrated Man b6 Ray Bradbury
  • A loose collection of eighteen short science fiction stories tied together by a man who’s body was covered in tattoos by a ‘mystery woman’ fortune teller from the circus where he worked. Set in the 1930’s depression America, he meets a fellow hobo who finds out if you look at his tattoos you get sucked into the story behind the particular illustration you’re looking at.
  • There was a movie made of this in 1969 that used three of the eighteen short stories, and starred Rod Steiger who owned the part of the Illustrated Man. Robert Drivas captured the part of ‘Willie’ who was the ‘narrator’ in the book who gets freaked out by the man, and Claire Bloom played Felecia who is the ‘mystery woman’. The cast was only seven people, and it was a bit low budget, but is worth a watch if it can be found.
Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche

A Thousand Plateaus - Deleuze and Guattari

The Laws of Human Nature - Robert Greene

The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli

The Black Company Series - Glen Cook

The Art of War - Sun Tzu
I think someone already mentioned this one, but I'm really enjoying The Dresden Files books. They are much better than the TV show that was (loosely) based on them a few years ago.
Rogue-Scribe

Tyranoth wrote:
The Black Company Series - Glen Cook
Yeah, another reader of this series! That’s a very ‘Black Companyish’ icon you have there. :)
Kim Site Admin

Basically anything and everything Naomi Novik has written.
I haven't read books in awhile, but there's one i highly recommend.

One of Us is Lying. By: Karen M. McManus

I heard there's a second one, but i'm not sure.
Got a couple of books I would recommend in no real order (And hopefully I am not repeating any already suggested) all fantasy.
Mist born by Brandon Sanderson.
gah, hit enter thinking it would lower my text bar.
Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson
Storm Light archives series also by Brandon Sanderson
Spell Monger series by Terry Mancour
dark Prism series by Brent weeks (A personal favorite with a very different magic system then what I am used to seeing)
I can't seem to merg my posts so my bad on the double post.
RPR Book Recommendation

I took the liberty of summarizing (if you can call it that XD ) all the recommendations into a Google Sheet.
There are about 195 different recommendations. I also included a GoodReads.com link to learn more about the book(s)/series!

A couple of things to note:
Only Title? Either the book is a stand-alone story, the title has multiple results on Google/GoodReads, or there are no results.
Only a Series name? Either multiple books from the series were recommended, the series itself was recommended, or the first book was recommended and has the same title as the series name.
Title and Series name? Either the first book in the series has a different name, or a specific book from the series was recommended.
mystery7

I always enjoyed Agatha Christie, great mysteries. I would read the following:

Murder on the Orient Express
Death on the Nile
And Then There Were None
A Murder is Announced
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
@Rogue-Scribe I really liked 'The Illustrated Man' when I read it a couple of years ago.

I have tons of anthologies (actually probably about 6 or 7) that I truly like, but I don't have any of them with me right now. I don't recall the names. There are a lot of short stories in them that I like, though.

I absolutely adore 'The Earthsea Cycle' by Ursula K. LeGuin. I haven't read her 'Left Hand of Darkness', but I've heard that's great, too.

I like a lot of Dickens' writing.

I like the short story version of 'Flowers for Algernon', which made me cry. It's very deeply written and kind of depressing, lol. :,)

I like 'The Lady Or The Tiger', and its sequel, 'The Discourager of Hesitancy', by Frank Stockton. I also like 'The Whole Town's Sleeping' and 'At Midnight, In the Month of June' by Ray Bradbury, both of which were in a delightful anthology book whose name I could not remember until now. Technically I didn't remember by myself, I had to look it up! It's 'Mark Twain's Medieval Romance and other Classic Mystery Stories', edited by Otto Penzler. He's very good at editing anthologies, I suppose, as this one was quite good and I think I've read another of his! I don't recall its name, though.
There was also a book of Sherlock Holmes short stories by various authors, which included a rather nice one by Naomi Novik. :D I don't know who edited that one, though.....

Anyway, I like short stories and long stories and series. Might manage to think of more and write them down here later. There are ever so many, though, you know!

Has anyone here read 'Absolom, Absolom'? I haven't, but I've heard that it's the longest sentence in literature! :)

Oh and we can't forget 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen! Dandy!
Rogue-Scribe

Shinyrainbowlithogra wrote:
@Rogue-Scribe I really liked 'The Illustrated Man' when I read it a couple of years ago.
It is quite good. I just watched the old Rod Steiger movie not long ago.

With everything that is going on right now, I’ll throw in a nonfiction title…

The Afghanistan Papers by Craig Whitlock & The Washington Post

The groundbreaking investigative story of how three successive presidents and their military commanders deceived the public year after year about the longest war in American history by Washington Post reporter Craig Whitlock, a three-time Pulitzer Prize finalist.

Unlike the wars in Vietnam and Iraq, the US invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 had near-unanimous public support. At first, the goals were straightforward and clear: to defeat al-Qaeda and prevent a repeat of 9/11. Yet soon after the United States and its allies removed the Taliban from power, the mission veered off course and US officials lost sight of their original objectives.

Distracted by the war in Iraq, the US military became mired in an unwinnable guerrilla conflict in a country it did not understand. But no president wanted to admit failure, especially in a war that began as a just cause. Instead, the Bush, Obama, and Trump administrations sent more and more troops to Afghanistan and repeatedly said they were making progress, even though they knew there was no realistic prospect for an outright victory.

Just as the Pentagon Papers changed the public’s understanding of Vietnam, The Afghanistan Papers contains startling revelation after revelation from people who played a direct role in the war, from leaders in the White House and the Pentagon to soldiers and aid workers on the front lines. In unvarnished language, they admit that the US government’s strategies were a mess, that the nation-building project was a colossal failure, and that drugs and corruption gained a stranglehold over their allies in the Afghan government. All told, the account is based on interviews with more than 1,000 people who knew that the US government was presenting a distorted, and sometimes entirely fabricated, version of the facts on the ground.

Documents unearthed by The Washington Post reveal that President Bush didn’t know the name of his Afghanistan war commander—and didn’t want to make time to meet with him. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld admitted he had “no visibility into who the bad guys are.” His successor, Robert Gates, said: “We didn’t know jack shit about al-Qaeda.”

The Afghanistan Papers is a shocking account that will supercharge a long overdue reckoning over what went wrong and forever change the way the conflict is remembered.
Books I recomend;

King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
The Relentless trilogy by Karen Lynch
Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
There's only one off the top of my head: Tarzan of the Apes. Or just the Tarzan book series! Such amazing books, but extremely underappreciated by today's generation.
Sword Art Online.
Yea, it’s a light novel series. Yeah, THAT Sword Art Online.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What books do you recomend?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus