Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Save work so it doesn't get lost on refresh / back

Jaci (played anonymously)

It would be great if there was a mobile app for RPR. Sometimes I accidentally refresh and then lose all my work when writing. This makes me feel super frustrated and unmotivated to reply when this happens.
I think a mobile app for Android and Apple would be great. Just a idea. X(
Sanne Moderator

Hi Jaci!

An RPR app has been a popular suggestion for many many years. Kim is the only person who codes and maintains the RPR though, and as things currently are, there are not enough resources to consider building a reliable cross-platform app for the site. With how popular the request is, I'm sure that it'd rank highly on the list if the resources existed! Until then, I do believe Kim has chosen to optimize responsiveness of the site (this means the RPR site works well on smaller screens and adjusts content accordingly) in order to help make RPR mobile friendly. :)

Topics in previous years on this: https://www.rprepository.com/community/forumthread.php?t=16646&p=1#2065405

As for losing your post, this is incredibly frustrating and I'm really sorry it happens! I've been there too. :( One thing members do to get around this issue is writing their posts in a memo- or notepad-type app that saves the text when you exit it. This way you don't lose your post, and all you have to do is copy and paste it into RPR and send it off. It's not the most ideal way, but it functional and reduces a lot of stress for me personally, so I hope that helps!
Jaci (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
Hi Jaci!

An RPR app has been a popular suggestion for many many years. Kim is the only person who codes and maintains the RPR though, and as things currently are, there are not enough resources to consider building a reliable cross-platform app for the site. With how popular the request is, I'm sure that it'd rank highly on the list if the resources existed! Until then, I do believe Kim has chosen to optimize responsiveness of the site (this means the RPR site works well on smaller screens and adjusts content accordingly) in order to help make RPR mobile friendly. :)

Topics in previous years on this: https://www.rprepository.com/community/forumthread.php?t=16646&p=1#2065405

As for losing your post, this is incredibly frustrating and I'm really sorry it happens! I've been there too. :( One thing members do to get around this issue is writing their posts in a memo- or notepad-type app that saves the text when you exit it. This way you don't lose your post, and all you have to do is copy and paste it into RPR and send it off. It's not the most ideal way, but it functional and reduces a lot of stress for me personally, so I hope that helps!

Hopefully this happens soon.
I really prefer not to have to transfer replies three times it wastes alot of time that could be used for more replies.
Note can be done , and I use it offline but it's not ideal and I prefer a better alternative like an app. Perhaps, they could hire someone to make the app or maybe someone on RPR could offer their services for a small fee or free epic membership.
There are options to be considered.
Sanne Moderator

Jaci wrote:
Hopefully this happens soon.
I really prefer not to have to transfer replies three times it wastes alot of time that could be used for more replies.
Note can be done , and I use it offline but it's not ideal and I prefer a better alternative like an app. Perhaps, they could hire someone to make the app or maybe someone on RPR could offer their services for a small fee or free epic membership.
There are options to be considered.

Yeah, I hear you! It's cumbersome. I think it's a matter of risk management and how much effort goes into either way. Does it cost you more effort to copy/paste messages whenever you reply from mobile, or does it cost you more effort when you lose a post and have to rewrite it? Does accidental deletion occur frequently enough that it would be worth the hassle? This is super dependent on the individual - I don't have as much time as I'd like to write posts, so writing them in a notepad app to ensure I don't lose them costs me maybe 15 seconds to copy, paste and send, but it can save me 15 minutes of time in case I do lose it! So it's worth it to me personally. It's absolutely understandable if this is different for you, though! It's valid to not want the hassle.

On another note, please understand that RPR doesn't generate enough income to pay Kim enough if she worked full-time on the site. She basically works on the RPR for free, all by herself, and works a daytime job on the side to ensure she can eat and pay her bills. As far as I currently know, the site generates enough money through Epic items to pay for hosting and other expenses such as commissioned artwork for the site, Epic Week prizes and so forth, but Kim doesn't really make money off of it herself.

This automatically means there's also not enough money to hire an app developer. App development is also not a one-time thing, it requires long-term maintenance such as updates and bug fixes, which means a long-term contract with a developer is necessary and that is unfortunately also expensive.

I know it's not the answer you hoped for, and I'm sorry! But I hope you better understand why an app is not viable unless RPR becomes profitable enough to accommodate this type of request.
Kim Site Admin

No to the app, but perhaps yes to the feature you're looking to get out of an app!

I am looking in to ways to save work in the browser in case of accidental refreshes or page closures. :)
Sanne Moderator

Kim wrote:
No to the app, but perhaps yes to the feature you're looking to get out of an app!

I am looking in to ways to save work in the browser in case of accidental refreshes or page closures. :)

That would be amazing, thank you!

Kim wrote:

That would be great. Thank you for working on that. I appreciate it. I'm anxiously looking forward to a way to not lose work from a accidental refresh. For now I'm looking to see if I can find a way not not allow refresh in my browser but it's taking a minute to figure out.

Kim wrote:

I think my browser caused the refreshing issues so I changed to firefox. Thanks for reading and for your time. ^^
Kim Site Admin

I'm glad to hear you're having less problem with this! :)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Save work so it doesn't get lost on refresh / back

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus