Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Coronavirus

MasterWinter

Firstly, in regards to something Abigail said in her previous post: GO COWBOYS! My aunt has been a Cowboy's fan for years, and got mom and I to be fans too even though we hardly watched football. I'm still a Cowboys fan.

Secondly: The county where I am in GA, has some positive COVID-19 people.

Cousin doesn't have school for the rest of this month, as far as I know still. This was her first week of no school. I think her school is trying to do online stuff, but she doesn't want to do them, oh well her loss.

Meat of almost any kind cannot be found in any grocery store. Not Ingles, not WalMart, not Kroger. And no one knows when the meat will be replenished. It's like: First people panic buy and stock on TP and Sanitizer, then they do so with guns and ammo, now meat.

I dare risk it and say: What the fudge is next..?
Yesterday I woke up to a dramatic schedule change and further shift shortening. Went to bed early since shift is 5 hours earlier.

Today, on my way in, I'm updated. I can switch to 2 shortened shifts that are difficult for me to do because of the transit schedule and keep waiting for work to finally shut down, or get furloughed.

Present circumstances in mind... I'm finishing my trip in to fill out paperwork for furlough. And then I'm hoping my incomplete name change (still haven't gotten my updated ss card after making a second request, so lacking proof of ID) doesn't screw up my unemployment application.

Meanwhile, a friend from work had to dash off to New York because her mother with lung cancer has COVID-19.

I'm still surprised that an upcoming flight and convention I have haven't been canceled yet. The flight got a minor change, but not canceled. (I can't refund the plane ticket, nor move the return trip, and I'm scheduled to work the convention to help pay for that ticket with a friend who's attending on an also non-refundable ticket. If nothing gets canceled, we will of course be extra cautious about it all.)
Quote:

My guess for a country where people cook from scratch would be dry goods (rice, beans, pasta, oatmeal), canned goods, frozen goods, fats (oil, shortening, butter). For the US? I daren’t guess XD But I’m curious, so when you know the next stage, I’d appreciate an update :)
An addendum to my prior post.

By the time the train got to the airport, I'm pretty sure everyone still on it were airport employees. The airport itself is barely more populated than when I used to work overnights, with no flights and security closed. Looking around the airport, most of the people I do see have employee badges.

I think the setup allows restaurants (some, at least) in the airport get around state-mandated closures, but a lot of them, especially outside security, are closed anyway. But the place with decent biscuits and gravy is still open, so... yay breakfast.
MasterWinter

1st update: Papa (nickname for grandpa) found a place that sells meat. They aren't like WalMart or Ingles. This place has their own animals they raise for this stuff. Papa thinks they will make a good profit since they aren't going to run out any time soon. So yay for meat!

2nd update: The county we are in officially has 2 cases of the COVID-19 virus. My cousin's school is now closed until April 13th.
MasterWinter

On a side note of surprise/happiness...

A store called Cherokee Closeout has peppermint bark candy. IN THE MIDDLE OF MARCH!!! I LOVE peppermint bark candy!

HaHmKMv.gif
Question for those that live in a state where only essential businesses like grocery stores are allowed to remain open:

Are your farm stores still open?

(Places like Tractor Supply)

My state isn't in that mode yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get there in the coming weeks. Just trying to appropriately prepare. I got some extra chicken food, but now I'm second guessing if I got enough...
MasterWinter

San Jose Police Step Up Enforcement of Stay-at-Home Orders

Wonder how my aunt and uncle in that part of CA are doing.
Winters_Fury wrote:
First people panic buy and stock on TP and Sanitizer, then they do so with guns and ammo, now meat.

My money is on coffee!
MasterWinter

Juls wrote:
Winters_Fury wrote:
First people panic buy and stock on TP and Sanitizer, then they do so with guns and ammo, now meat.

My money is on coffee!

#ThankOdinImATeaPerson
Juls wrote:
Question for those that live in a state where only essential businesses like grocery stores are allowed to remain open:

My state isn't in that mode yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get there in the coming weeks. Just trying to appropriately prepare. I got some extra chicken food, but now I'm second guessing if I got enough...

Yes, farm stores are still open because they're considered essential. UNLESS their management decides to close due to lack of workers or whatever other reason. Things like auto stores and mechanics and home improvement stores are still open, in addition to grocery stores and pharmacies, etc.
I woke up with a cough. Which isn't unusual for me. I am always sneezing and coughing year round, but I feel especially off today so I'm trying to keep my distance from my dad.

My county has the most cases in my state so I'm a little concerned to say the least.
MercyInReach wrote:
I woke up with a cough. Which isn't unusual for me. I am always sneezing and coughing year round, but I feel especially off today so I'm trying to keep my distance from my dad.

My county has the most cases in my state so I'm a little concerned to say the least.

Do you think you might have it ?
Winters_Fury wrote:
Firstly, in regards to something Abigail said in her previous post: GO COWBOYS! My aunt has been a Cowboy's fan for years, and got mom and I to be fans too even though we hardly watched football. I'm still a Cowboys fan.

Secondly: The county where I am in GA, has some positive COVID-19 people.

Cousin doesn't have school for the rest of this month, as far as I know still. This was her first week of no school. I think her school is trying to do online stuff, but she doesn't want to do them, oh well her loss.

Meat of almost any kind cannot be found in any grocery store. Not Ingles, not WalMart, not Kroger. And no one knows when the meat will be replenished. It's like: First people panic buy and stock on TP and Sanitizer, then they do so with guns and ammo, now meat.

Gasoline or maybe Gatorade
Somnom wrote:
Juls wrote:

Yes, farm stores are still open because they're considered essential. UNLESS their management decides to close due to lack of workers or whatever other reason. Things like auto stores and mechanics and home improvement stores are still open, in addition to grocery stores and pharmacies, etc.

Thanks! Definitely good to know!
MasterWinter

Funny how Juls mentioned coffee being her next guess for what gets hoarded, and then today I find this on FB.

Coffee Post

lA49jbI.jpg
Juls wrote:

Well, in Oregon, the mandated closures have been specific rather than having the exceptions be specific. So bars and restaurants are closed, schools and museums are closed, state parks and campgrounds are closed, a number of government facilities are closed to in-person visits, medical services are severely limited, etc, but anything not explicitly named is allowed to stay open so long as they're following cautionary guidelines and can actually afford to be open. Even so, lots of places have shut down without/prior to being required to.
Thanks for Cowboys love. I myself actually don't watch football and only occasionally will watch basketball, but I'm glad it brings people happiness! :) And it definitely does, that's for sure. You should see what they're willing to pay for parking. Lol

Anywho! Update from the Lone Star State:

I'm a believer in the power of social distancing to keep this thing from spreading until it finally dies out, and I believe our government has taken the right steps once the consequences of not acting became obvious. In other words, I'm on board with the school closures, and the working from home, and the restaurant closures, provided Congress passes an aid package for lost wages.

However, things just got more serious in Texas when some counties (local governments) decided to issue "shelter-in-place" orders. It's what some news people are hyperbolically calling "lockdown."

The judge in Dallas County decided to order it, but it only applies to Dallas county. Tarrant county, right next door, decided not to order it, but just to strongly recommend people stay at home voluntarily. What happens if someone gets caught breaking the order? Fines, I believe. I'm not sure if arrest was a possibility, I didn't catch the whole report, but I know it's up to $1000 fine for not obeying the shelter in place order.

I'm in Tarrant County, currently, with my mom. So, the Dallas order doesn't apply to me, because I can truthfully say that I've been living here since December when my mom was released home from the rehab hospital.

However, guess who is in Dallas county? My wife, Sandra. She's at our apartment. (I could also truthfully say that I live there, btw.)

So we're in the odd but interesting situation that, if Sandra wants to come to my mom's just to see me, she would have to break the law. Of course, we are smart enough that we can figure it out. For example, leaving home to "care for a family member or pet" is allowed under the order, so if I asked Sandra to bring me some medicines I have at home, or bring us a gallon of orange juice from the store, she would be legally allowed to come over.

Rant About Laws

My whole point here is that I'm a little on the fence about whether shelter in place orders are the best way to go for the governor's and judges.

If you leave the house to go visit your next door neighbor from now until April 3rd (from now and possibly through May, if it goes on that long), you are breaking the law, and you could be fined up to $1000 dollars. If you go out to a park to walk for exercise, you're ok. That's ok. As long as you keep your distance. Leaving home "to care for a loved one or a pet" is an exception. It just seems like it could be a slippery slope when we let government start drawing these lines. The reason given is public health, but for a healthy person to be penalized for going to fly a kite at the park or something because they've put the public health at risk seems a bit like something out of Minority Report--arresting someone for what they haven't yet done.

What about every year around flu season--why don't we all work from home and take classes from home during flu season, to protect the elderly peoole who die from the flu each year. And actually, that's a serious question. Why don't we? Make it voluntary, but, it's a great idea.

But who gets to say where the line is? That's why I'm saying. I think that perhaps sheltering in place should be strongly recommended, but voluntary. And they could incentivize it by making people that break the rule eligible for a smaller cut of the relief package the government will give out. But they shouldn't threaten people with law enforcement action simply for moving leaving their homes for a reason that is not on the governments definition of "absolutely necessary." What's absolutely necessary is different for different people. And that's getting too much into police state territory.

If it's temporary, that's different. But if this lasts 6 months or a year instead of 3 months, then what? Is the government not overstepping their authority, at least in the United States, by preventing people from "peaceably assembling," and "practicing religion," and the presumption of innocence, and "equal treatment under the law." Makes me nervous, that's all. Not very nervous, it's just that there's something unsettling about it.

But I still believe everyone should stay home, it's just I think it should be voluntary. I'm definitely staying home! I don't want to be a vector for infection that ends up bringing the virus to my mom's. No, no, no, no, no. So. Stay home. It's by far the smartest thing you can do. I almost left twice yesterday and decided both times that what I was thinking about buying could wait, or that I could substitute something else for it. We're like a beachfront city right before a tsunami. Being at home is our "higher ground."

Also, there was no milk, or meat, or eggs, or toilet paper at Kroger yesterday when Sandra went. So, Dallas has gotten to the point that I've been hearing other states had reached a few days or a week ago. Let's buckle up, and hope this is at least a short, if wild, ride.

<3
Update, my dental appointment just got canceled because of the order by the Texas governor that all non-emergency medical treatment stop. However, my mom's doctor, who she goes to for pain pills, is still open to see her tomorrow. The dental receptionist asked me if I have pain, hinting that if there was pain, it would be considered an emergency, but I couldn't bring myself to say there is, when there's not. It's merely pulling a tooth and adjusting a crown to make room for another crown that was going to get put in on an implant that was placed months ago.

So....cosmetic mainly. But... inconvenient since I've been waiting several months to get this taken care of and over with (so it's basically elective dental surgery). Still, a few weeks' worth of inconvenience doesn't outweigh people dying, so they're right. I'll just be glad when the dang virus is dead. But anyway, yeah, there's another angle for you. I think we've reached peak weirdness here. Can things get any weirder?
the government said two hours ago that we’re going to be in quarantine for another 3 weeks (we’ve been in quarantine for one) until april 13th. we’re only allowed to go out if we have to get groceries because almost everywhere else is closed. we’re not allowed to be in groups of more than 10 people so most of us are staying home (because all school is online and those who can work from home have been sent home to do so). it feels almost surreal but i’m glad the government are doing what they can in this situation, even if we’d all rather have everything be as it usually is

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Coronavirus

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus