Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Coronavirus

Jenn wrote:
There aren't enough words for how much I hate all of this or how scared I am. I can't visit my dad or my brother. I can't check on my grandparents beyond a phone call, and it sucks. This all just.. sucks..

*hugs*
Well, some happy news from Denmark that came yesterday:

Our country has pretty much been on as much of a lockdown as possible, without curfews and closing down essential stores. This has lasted two weeks, and we’ve been notified that it will last another two weeks. Our PM said yesterday:

“If we Danes in the next two weeks - also during Easter - continue to keep our distance between each other, and if the numbers [of infected, hospitalised, critical and respiratory patients, ed.] are still reasonable during those two weeks, then the Government will gradually begin a controlled opening of Denmark after Easter.”

Our curve right now is luckily still linear rather than exponential, and hopefully shutting down as quickly as we did has helped us flatten out the curve. All fingers crossed!

Stay safe and stay healthy, all you lovely people! <3
In PA, my county went into lockdown ("stay at home") the day before hubby and I were supposed to leave for our anniversary trip. :( It was semi-local (we could drive there), a cabin out in the woods so we wouldn't be in contact with anyone. But since our county went into lockdown, we didn't want to risk the fine if we got pulled over (or got in a car accident). So, unfortunately, we had to cancel.

We have been pretty lucky so far overall. Both of our jobs are able to be done remotely, with no intentions of laying off due to the current situation. The PA Gov has extended his mandate to April 30th, so we're both on Work From Home until at least then.
This has cancelled our Murder Mystery Dinner Theater plans as well, which was a major bummer. But we're both staying home, healthy, and safe.

On another plus note, my grandma has figured out how to Duo (video chat). She called my husband and I on Duo last night to wish us happy anniversary, and it was adorable. She told us about how she calls people all day, through the phone and on video. I think it's really helping her out, but now she's fretting over Easter because she wants it to be special. I suggested a whole group videocall with my entire family, so that we can all be together on Easter. :)

These are crazy, stressful times right now. Pray/send thoughts of healing for those infected. But also remember that we are very lucky to have the technology we have today during this crisis! Things would suck a lot more if this happened twenty years ago. Instead, we have video calls, Animal Crossing (visit friends' islands!), and more. :)
Just remember to hold onto the little things. Social distance. Stay at home.
The End Coronavirus initiative is trying to get a much more sensitive test advanced using a fundraiser platform. I’ve just donated $20, if anyone else would like to contribute, here’s the link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/advancing-covid-19-highly-sensitive-testing

If this goes well, large-volume testing could become the norm which would mean that there would be hope of getting rid of the virus completely. It would also mean that verified-OK individuals could return to work and quarantines would become more targeted to people who are actually infected.
Had some errands to run today, which also gave me a chance to try out my new homemade mask. Aside from making my ear a bit sore after awhile and definitely not having a very effective seal (I mostly blame my unusually small head...), it seemed to work out okay, and I'm pretty sure I didn't try touching my face as often as I usually do (which is actually unexpected). And I've offered to make masks for friends, too, but I don't think anyone's actually going to take me up on it. I know too many crafty people, and I'm a bit late to it.

I will say, though, that supposedly (I know this sounds like a horrible rumor already, but bare with me), disposable blue polyester hydro knit shop towels, especially from the brands ToolBox and ZEP, are supposed to be a pretty good option - more effective than cotton, sturdy but disposable, easier to breath through than the suddenly-popular HEPA filters (which are fiberglass, btw), and won't use up materials important to hospitals (like Halyard H600). Here's one of the articles talking about it: https://www.businessinsider.com/homemade-mask-using-hydro-knit-shop-towel-filters-better-2020-4
A popular current projection that the government in the U.S. is using says that if the current social distancing/lockdown type guidelines stay in place through the end of May, that the death toll in the U.S. may be less than they originally expected (the top number that particular simulation got was around 125,000). They are feeding current data from other countries into the model and finding that the number of cases "peak" faster than they'd expected based on the data they had before.

Of course, this is only one model, but it's the one the government here seems to be relying on most.

For reference, a really bad flu season a few years ago ended with about 63,000 deaths so this would be roughly double that -- when they were afraid it might be many more. But the simulation assumes that social distancing continues as well as it is being carried out now, and a few other assumptions, such as all states jumping on the bandwagon by this week.

But anyway--it's cautiously optimistic news. It also gives me a clue that this way of life might continue until about June 1st.

I know one person who has gotten a government stimulus check already (in Canada, not the U.S.), and the first checks are supposed to show up to people like me in the middle of April. If the distancing continues through June 1st (that has not yet been announced), then the U.S. may approve another round of checks.
Texas was almost completely reopened when new cases started to skyrocket (exponentially). So the governor has rolled back the reopening plan by:

* re-closing bars

* re-closing river tubing/rafting companies (tubing down the river in the summer is a rather big thing in some places here).

* pushing restaurants back from 75% capacity to 50% capacity,

* allowing cities and counties to pass laws requiring masks inside of businesses, and

* freezing new re-opening phases

The city of Dallas (mine) is not seeing any hospital capacity issues, but Houston is, and, as a result, the Children's Hospital there has started having to see adult patients.

As for me personally, some distant cousins in Austin have caught Covid, but no one I am personally close to has caught it. Fortunately.

But it's still like--every time one of us has a cough or a body ache, alarms in our heads go off. Lol. But then, fortunately, it turns out to be allergies or something like that.

There are some people who say that because younger people are a larger portion of the new cases that it might not cause the high hospitalization rates that were seen before, but we'll know more in a few weeks. If it becomes a problem, the governor says he'll backtrack further if necessary.

They're not yet sure exactly how they're going to reopen schools in a couple of months--whether it's going to be all online, half days with alternating groups of students, small groups of students coming on different days, or what. I'm not sure what they should do. If they keep school 100% online, I can't imagine how they would need substitute teachers (maybe there is a way they would be able to use them, but I can't currently imagine how).

Sooo if the schools stay closed, I may not be working at that come September. However, fortunately, I've got my existing job, and to supplement the low pay I get from that job, I could potentially go back to pharmacy. My license is still active. They will definitely need pharmacy employees. That's one thing that they can't shut down.

Despite the fact that I would prefer to sub instead of look for another job, I can't help but think it might be better, in some ways, if they do keep the schools closed. Because, from my experience, there is NOOO way that social distancing can be strictly adhered to, in reality, in, say, an elementary school classroom. Even with plexiglass dividers between desks and whatever else they can come up with.

So I'm not sure whether to hope that schools open so I can work there, or hope they don't so that we don't all catch the virus there.

I guess what I will hope for is that they figure out new, inexpensive treatments for Covid quickly or develop a vaccine quickly.

The good news is that there are some studies coming out that some drugs are helping, like corticosteroids, and they're doing clinical trials of a bunch of drugs as we speak.

That's what's going on here.

On an upbeat note, the At&t stadium (where the Cowboys play) play is going to start being used as a drive-in movie theater soon.

I don't know exactly how that's going to work, but I live like a few blocks away from that space-age-exterterrestrial-biodome-looking thing and the nearest other drive-in movie theater is like 45 minutes away.

So we're suddenly going to have a temporary drive-in a movie theater down the street. Kinda cool.

#SilverLinings

How's Coronavirus going where you are?
My state's been doing a county-by-county phased reopening. From a quick check, it looks like we're only supposed to be in a "state of emergency" until the 6th, unless the closure/reopening stuff is supposed to be supplanting that or there was an extension that i just failed to find an announcement of in my brief look. I keep hearing about all the places where cases keep shooting up during reopening efforts and it just really doesn't seem like anyone's actually ready yet. Plus, since learning about the blood clot issues it's been causing (especially among younger folks), I've had more reason to be personally worried. I already have issues with blood circulation.
Novus

My state (MO) has been leaving it up to cities and counties to reopen themselves. And well, the numbers are going crazy. And what's even worse for me is that I'm moving to AZ after my divorce is finalized and... well. <gestures wildly to the reports and graphs>
Zelphyr wrote:
My state's been doing a county-by-county phased reopening. From a quick check, it looks like we're only supposed to be in a "state of emergency" until the 6th, unless the closure/reopening stuff is supposed to be supplanting that or there was an extension that i just failed to find an announcement of in my brief look. I keep hearing about all the places where cases keep shooting up during reopening efforts and it just really doesn't seem like anyone's actually ready yet. Plus, since learning about the blood clot issues it's been causing (especially among younger folks), I've had more reason to be personally worried. I already have issues with blood circulation.

Yeah, the blot clotting thing is what freaks me out more too. I'm technically supposed to take an aspirin a day for something else; now I have been actually taking it. Don't know if it'll have any impact on potential C19 symptoms, of course, but since it's already prescribed, I'm like... couldn't hurt.
Novus wrote:
My state (MO) has been leaving it up to cities and counties to reopen themselves. And well, the numbers are going crazy. And what's even worse for me is that I'm moving to AZ after my divorce is finalized and... well. <gestures wildly to the reports and graphs>

Being from Texas, I know what you mean about those graphs of southern states that re-opened ASAP. I hope that there is a period of the positive percentages falling after this spiking period, like what happened in the coastal states that got hit first. *crosses fingers*
Rogue-Scribe

COVID-19 Check-in

It’s been some months and with the USA passing 200,000 deaths and a 2nd wave explosion across Europe I thought I’d check in on how everyone is doing. Here in Melbourne we’ve been under an aggressive 2nd lockdown with the ‘2nd wave’ hitting a couple months back due to some poor security measures around some quarantine hotels. Hoping to see the light at the end of this tunnel here. Stay safe and well everyone!
I'm still unemployed (mostly having trouble making a proper effort to look) and rarely leaving the house, just about out of unemployment money (think mine runs out this or next week), and severely uninformed (on basically all topics) after info burnout.

But the sky in my area has cleared back up, so I'm guessing at least the fires are getting handled. I remain pretty much untouched by that, but I know people who haven't been so lucky.

Isn't 2020 just great? I'm expecting at least a year of "2020 vision" being a bad thing jokes.
Rogue-Scribe

With all the precautions that has gone into my 2020 Covid19 infection prevention, it’s actually been a fairly healthy year with very little flu-spread and not really getting a cold over the winter months. Now in mid October I’ve managed to get one hell of an abscess. Been painkilling all weekend and am off to the dentist Tuesday morning.

If I haven’t gotten to my RPs it’s because it’s really hard to focus with the combination of throbbing head and brain-mush from painkillers.

As far as COVID-19 goes here, it looks like the minimal spread is the new norm as the goal of zero is likely beyond reach without destroying so many businesses. We’ll see what is decided next week. Stay well everyone.
There's a website with a huge compilation of resources for how to handle the different mental health issues that have come around from the coronavirus pandemic. You can get that link by clicking here.

Wanted to share it here so people subscribed to this thread can see it!
MissPixie wrote:
There's a website with a huge compilation of resources for how to handle the different mental health issues that have come around from the coronavirus pandemic. You can get that link by clicking here.

Wanted to share it here so people subscribed to this thread can see it!

^Great advice, MissPixie!

I'm returning to RPR after a few months hiatus.
Real life got really hairy for a while. Family, personal stuff... I know everyone's going through a lot, but man this year has just been hell. The year leading up to this was hard for me too, but nothing like what the last 7 months have been. (I've been on hiatus since about July). Was ready to get my first place and car as of January/February, just needed a job before graduation, and before March things were looking great.

Now, I've lost literally everything. I'm grateful to have family to take me in, but everything has been wiped for me. It's going to be a rough 2-3 years to get back to what my original plans had been, but... I know there are people that have lost more. Just hard for what it means on a personal level too, but I won't go there!

Anyways, to build off MissPixie's positivity, I'll share a few facts I've found out recently (with sources linked):
- Over 30 million Covid-19 cases have recovered world-wide. (Source here) (About their info)
- Africa has been officially certified free of wild polio, meaning it has been eradicated in nature throughout the region!
Story here
- The unemployment rate in the US has been steadily falling, and is currently approaching a 'halfway' point back to normal. Details here (check the first graph on the left)
- There's a Positive News organization that covers a wide range of categories, and has breakdowns of 'What Went Right This Week' in each category. Found Here, and you can subscribe to their emails if you want :)
Here in Switzerland, the situation with Covid has reached a new low. As in we are having a lot more infections per 100'000 citizens than even the US and people are still throwing tantrums because of the new restrictions. Around 25% of tested people are tested positive. I know from several personal sources that a lot of hospitals are already in a state of emergency. It doesn't change much about my situation as I stay at home at all times to protect my family anyways (both family members have a high risk of dying if infected). Most people are still busy proclaiming that their personal rights are being hurt because they can't go out for a drink without wearing a face mask. It leaves me speechless, really...
Denmark has just implemented further restrictions after a few days with a rise in covid-numbers. Virologists estimate that we are 2-3 weeks behind other European countries when it comes to severity of covid. The government hopes that these new restrictions will help knock down the numbers before they rise faster than the hospitals can keep up. Restrictions include:

• Bars/pubs/restaurants have to close at 10pm.

• Sale of alcohol is prohibited from 10 pm

• Masks are you be worn in all public transport, and all public, indoor places (excluding schools)

• Public gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited

• People are encouraged to not meet with more than 10 people outside of their household

• Social gatherings are discouraged

Hopefully this will help flatten the curve before it gets too steep.

Hang in there, everyone! I am sending you as many hugs and good vibes as I possibly can!
Rogue-Scribe

Six weeks after I last posted here in this thread, our efforts during the hard lockdown and mandatory mask-wearing has paid off! The state of Victoria Australia has managed twenty-eight days without a new C19 infection! It’s not a time to get lax, but it feels good to be able to go out to eat without worrying about the chance of infection. Well done!

For my friends and family in the states, it’s been a different story. My daughter-in-law contracted it from somewhere ( contact tracing is not very good in Seattle) and the who,e family got it. Thoughts are with you all in the USA this Thanksgiving and through the long winter for everyone in the northern hemisphere. Stay safe, Stay well. Stay happy!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Coronavirus

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus