Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Guestbooks - Confirmation of Character Name?

Rogue-Scribe

Rusty’s recent topic had me thinking about guestbooks... could a pop up confirmation come up upon hitting post/reply to a guestbook be added to verify the name that is posting?

One is currently unable to edit guestbook entries so this would be a great assist to prevent in-character guestbook posts under either the user name or a different character’s name.
MasterWinter

Shadow-Ranger wrote:
Rusty’s recent topic had me thinking about guestbooks... could a pop up confirmation come up upon hitting post/reply to a guestbook be added to verify the name that is posting?

One is currently unable to edit guestbook entries so this would be a great assist to prevent in-character guestbook posts under either the user name or a different character’s name.

I second this. When Cassi and I were posting in Volya's guestbook, her last post she had to re-do because it was posted in her writer name not her OC name. So she had to copy her post, delete it, then re-enter the post but under her OC name. It would be helpful to have a little notice to confirm the name.
Rogue-Scribe Topic Starter

Yeah that is the routine when it’s your character(s) guestbook. When it’s someone else’s you have to ask them or a mod to delete the entry. Only did that once myself.

A pause-check pop up would really cut down on these mistakes.
Kim Site Admin

Question -- is this what you actually want, or would your preferred solution be to be able to edit/delete your guestbook comments?
MasterWinter

Kim wrote:
Question -- is this what you actually want, or would your preferred solution be to be able to edit/delete your guestbook comments?

Personally for me: I'm game for either. Though to be honest when it comes to the whole "Are you sure....?" stuff I don't always pay attention too. Yet if that's keeping me from posting, it would make me double check. Still. I personally could go either way.

I cannot speak for Shadow or others.

Either/Or would be good for me.
If the ability to edit even if it's like the fifteen minute clock like for PMs is added, it takes care of the common issue of the wrong character name so I'll make 'Edit' my preference. :)
I'll pop in to say I'd favor edit, in case I'm late noticing a typo. >.>
Sanne Moderator

I would like the ability to temporarily edit a guestbook comment after it was made too. :)
MasterWinter

3 votes for editing the guestbook within a time limit frame like PM's.

+ my vote which I'll give to the editing the guestbook as well

= 4 votes for editing guestbook within a time limit frame like PM's.
Auberon Moderator

Supporting the editing within a time limit proposal as well! As long as Server is able to log the original messages for posterity to review in cases of harassment. :)
I'm a fan of being able to make modifications, too.

However, I think this might be a lower priority (at the moment) than general page loading lag. I'm worried that having even more stuff saved by Server (whether that be the limited time edits, or the long-term saving of original posts in the event of harassment) could affect how long it takes the site's various pages to load. It's already pretty laggy.

Could we file this as a request that gets looked into once there's capacity for the server to handle storing that much extra info?

Auberon wrote:
Supporting the editing within a time limit proposal as well! As long as Server is able to log the original messages for posterity to review in cases of harassment. :)
Agreed. That would be a necessity. If that safeguard is an issue then I'd say go back to the pop-up to check the user name confirmation before posting the guestbook entry.

dray wrote:

However, I think this might be a lower priority (at the moment) than general page loading lag. I'm worried that having even more stuff saved by Server (whether that be the limited time edits, or the long-term saving of original posts in the event of harassment) could affect how long it takes the site's various pages to load. It's already pretty laggy.

Could we file this as a request that gets looked into once there's capacity for the server to handle storing that much extra info?
No need to try and quash this as I'm sure this improvement being done wouldn't cause any lag time for the server. The site isn't run on a shoestring. I'm only noticing lag at a certain time of day for an hour or so. The rest of the time I'm on it's rather snappy.

Maybe you should start a fresh thread addressing the lag you are experiencing as it is surely a separate issue.
Could be, thanks!
Sanne Moderator

dray wrote:

Text is so small in terms of filesize that it's really not an issue at all. We could probably have half a dozen RPRs worth of text and still not come anywhere near the amount of image data being stored on the site right now. I'm fairly certain the lag pockets don't have anything to do with there being multiple versions of some texts being stored. :)

Kim wrote:

I’m bringing this back up as I nearly made a guestbook entry using the wrong character.

Questions are:
  • Can a popup appear upon submitting a guestbook entry that asks to verify the name being used?
  • Can a time-limited edit-window similar to PM messages be activated to allow corrections to guestbook entries including the character name?

Either option would be greatly appreciated.
Kim Site Admin

Quote:
Can a time-limited edit-window similar to PM messages be activated to allow corrections to guestbook entries including the character name?

This one is on my planned features list atm! :) I don't have a specific release date for you though, sorry.

Cool! Thanks for looking into it! :)

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Guestbooks - Confirmation of Character Name?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus