Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Calling all bookworms

So...I’m nearly completely through my small book collection and I need more to read these very long, Dracula hours nights, I’d love to hear what everyone else has been reading and any suggestions would be awesome too
Auberon Moderator

I just finished Holly Black's Folk of the Air trilogy. It's about a human raised in the fae gentry with her twin sister, and the challenges she faces living in the realm of Faerie where all the odds are stacked against her. I love Holly Black's writing in general, but I especially love her faerie books.
Holly Black has a special place in my heart as well, and her books are often my go-to for a relaxing read. I enjoyed the Spiderwick series as a kid, which she wrote with another author, and as an adult I’ve enjoyed her faeries series, like Auberon mentioned.

While I generally recommend those, my favorite book series is the Daevabad trilogy (3rd book comes out in late June), which I’ll recommend to the day that I die. It has historical awareness, strong characters, a hidden kingdom and Djinns. What’s not to like!?
I literally went to the book store a few hours ago and bought Holly Black's "The Cruel Prince" and I can't wait to get into it!! :D
But to be honest, I am a book jumper. I am also currently (and almost done) reading Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco (Stalking Jack the Ripper Series) And it was FANTASTIC!
I absolutely love reading. I’ve been doing it a little less recently because I’ve been drawing so much, but I’d recommend things such as The Dead Key and a Collection of Poems by Robert Frost.
Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson series for Urban Fantasy. Lots of lore and worldbuilding while also having a good reason why each "step" is discovered.
Lee Child's Jack Reacher, beautiful think is that you can jump in just about anywhere.
Quite enjoying the Isaiah Coleridge novels by Laird Barron.
The Deathworlders. This one is a bit out there, as it's an online serial with a chapter published monthly. Started with a reddit story titled The Kevin Jenkins Experience and has evolved from there. If you binge read, you get to see the auther grow and evolve. Early chapters take maybe a half hour or so to read, while the latest ones can take three to four hours, depending. It's well over two million words by now, and would be somewhere between 4500-5000 physical pages.
Earlier in the year, I started going back through my Star Wars book collection (plus books I recently added to it)... but got stuck on Red Harvest, which I couldn't really get into (it's basically a horror novel set in the Old Republic times... and the first few chapters are basically just high-school horror that happens to be taking place in a Sith academy... I haven't gotten much further than that yet). So decided to take a break from it and re-read The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, which are a completely different feel. The best part of The Enchanted Forest Chronicles has to be Morwen and her many cats.

I've also just ordered a couple of books from The Edge Chronicles... which are technically children's books, but they were a part of my childhood and I enjoyed reading them back then, so figured why not read through that series again, including the books I didn't have before. I feel the setting of The Edge Chronicles would probably make a cool setting for a D&D campaign, which is also one of the reasons I want to read through it again - to check its viability.
LittleMouse Topic Starter

Already seeing a few I’d like to check out, might add them to my TBR if I can find them
Ender's game!!! So, normally it's a really great story, but when your suppose to be sleeping and can't and decide to read, and then you're tired and your emotions run on high it is an absolute master piece!
I reallllly love books, so I'm constantly looking for more to read. I can read several books a day (depending on how absorbed I am in them). I'm also a book jumper, usually jumping between 2-3 books. My prefered genre is Fantasy, and currently i'm re-reading:

Cold Burn Of Magic - Jennifer Estep

There Be Monsters Here. . .

It's not as great as you'd think, living in a tourist town that's known as "the most magical place in America." Same boring high school, just twice as many monsters under the bridges and rival Families killing each other for power.

I try to keep out of it. I've got my mom's bloodiron sword and my slightly illegal home in the basement of the municipal library. And a couple of Talents I try to keep quiet, including very light fingers and a way with a lock pick.

But then some nasty characters bring their Family feud into my friend's pawn shop, and I have to make a call--get involved, or watch a cute guy die because I didn't. I guess I made the wrong choice, because now I'm stuck putting everything on the line for Devon Sinclair. My mom was murdered because of the Families, and it looks like I'm going to end up just like her. . .

Touch of Power - Maria V. Snyder

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life…

and

Magic Study - Maria V. Snyder (book 2 in it's series)

Here is the summary for book 1 Poison Study:

Choose: a quick death… or slow poison…

Locked deep in the palace dungeon for killing her abuser, Yelena knows she’ll never be free again. The laws in Ixia are strict, and murderers must be executed, no matter the reason. But just as she’s resigned herself to her fate, she’s offered an extraordinary reprieve.

As the food taster, Yelena will eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia. To make matters worse, the chief of security deliberately feeds her Butterfly’s Dust, and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can’t control. Her life is threatened again, and in order to survive, she must unravel the secrets behind the past she’s been running from.

I'm also trying to get two more series from my local library (they're doing book pick-ups), one of which I've read already and the other I haven't. If you want more recommendations PM me, I actually have a list of books on my phone that I want to re-read again.
If you like more historical facts and fun dark humor, I highly recommend Quackery: Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything.
j_a7980

I've read a good number of the Forgotten Realms novels throughout my years, but recently decided to go to where they all began. I'm a decent way through Darkwalker of Moonshae by Douglas Niles. I have to say, I'm very impressed so far.
RedPandaFox

The cruel prince series was absolutely Fantastic. I loved every second of reading it. Holly Black is really amazing at twisting the words and letting you connect to the main character. I love Jude and Cardans romance and always will. They will hold a special place in my heart, no matter how much I read about Kaye and Roiben, or other romances. If you have trouble getting the last book, or don't want to pay for it, just try renting it from a library. I did that and got it after a week and half! Anyways, definitely reccomend the cruel prince series!!!
LittleMouse Topic Starter

RedPandaFox wrote:
The cruel prince series was absolutely Fantastic. I loved every second of reading it. Holly Black is really amazing at twisting the words and letting you connect to the main character. I love Jude and Cardans romance and always will. They will hold a special place in my heart, no matter how much I read about Kaye and Roiben, or other romances. If you have trouble getting the last book, or don't want to pay for it, just try renting it from a library. I did that and got it after a week and half! Anyways, definitely reccomend the cruel prince series!!!

After I get through Throne of Glass and Six of Crows I plan on reading it

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Calling all bookworms

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus