Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Across a Crowded Room [Victorian Era 1x1/Group RP]

sanahakuryu Topic Starter

Right. I’m back. I’ll post properly tomorrow
Katherine Wytherine (played by sanahakuryu) Topic Starter

Katherine looked at him as he spoke and understood where he was coming from. Especially about Emily. Despite her and her older sister being born first, it would be her young brother who would inherit all of her fathers wealth and estate. She would be left some inheritance of course, but it would not amount to what she would have been given had she been born a boy. It was why her grandmother was so insistent that she marry well to boost her standing and her wealth. Katherine knee she didn’t care too much about that sort of thing but she did care about having to leave her home for an unhappy marriage like the one her sister had.

At his question she looked around the room and chuckled a little to herself before glancing back to him - “in all honesty, most of the young men here I have already been introduced to. My grandmother was very thorough when I was much younger about introducing me to everyone. Now she has almost left me to my own devices,” Katherine commented.

In fact, several of the married men here had been her suitors at one point or another. She had turned them all down.
“Though it might be bold of me, Mr Rutherford, the only company I was looking forward to tonight as yours.” This time she didn’t turn away but held her fan up a little more to hide her blushing. Would he think her immoral for admitting so? Or too forward? She did not want to fall from his favour.
Thomas Delagney (played by sanahakuryu) Topic Starter

“You are a most intriguing creature, Miss Vanderson,” Thomas said to her with a bit of a smirk. Normally he would have been tempted. Of course, his reputation preceded him as much. He was know as a womaniser. But he was more than that. A few rumours might have clouded his name a bit, but for someone he was truly interested in, he would not jeopardise her reputation with a foolish act.

“As wonderful as you are, and how tempting, I have been playing the game far longer than you, Miss Vanderson,” the young viscount said, tugging her in at the waist just a little closer to kiss her forehead before stepping back, offering her his hand, “shall we take another walk? Without additional company this time?” he asked her, referring to Arthur - “I promise not to bore you with waffle. You and I can just speak plainly to one another.”
Edward Rutherford (played by Alleluia)

Edward flushed in unexcepted joy when she said that. Am I growing fond of her? he asked himself, shocked. He had not seen that coming. The emotion was not unfamiliar to him, but he was probably a good decade older than her, of lesser standing and burdened with a daughter. Then again, it was her grandmother that insisted he came here. Was that a sign that he could court her?. It meant at the very least her family was not opposed to the idea. He almost felt slighted on her behalf.

What of Emily? What right have you to ruin her chances of learning piano from one of the finest pianists around? And for a whim, no less.

“That’s kind of you, Lady Wytherine” he said, his voice perhaps a touch colder than it had been just a moment ago. “I’m sure I am unworthy”. He needed to get away from her for a minute, collect his thoughts. “I am feeling parched. Would you like me to fetch you something to drink?”

Katherine felt the change in his aura instantly and her face fell a bit, and he nodded, turning her head away to hide her slight disappointment. He was displeased with her. It hurt a bit. But that was life. I must seem very childish to him. What have I to offer? I'll probably not have children any time soon. And I'm hardly a lady, she thought to herself worriedly and sadly, shunning herself mentally for being so stupid to have fallen quickly like this. Had she fallen? Not completely. But there were feelings there for him. Strong feelings she couldn't shake.

"A drink would be nice, yes. Thank you," she said to him kindly, offering a forced smile as she fluttered her fan to cool herself off. She had been looking forward to teaching Emily and potentially learning more about him in private when manners needn't be so forceful and required. It was hard on everyone. The rules of society. She glanced down at her hands and brushed a curl from off her face, wanting to find something to do with her hands so she wasn't just so awkward.
She slowly backed away with a long sigh "Sure, another walkabout sounds nice" She offers her him her hand, and as they start to walk she frowns "I wasn't playing a stupid game" she sounds a bit put out as she kicks the layers of her dress to fly out in front of her. "My grandmother's spies are following us, she must be so excited right now" she nods her head back toward the two women walking behind them.

Pull yourself together, man Edward rebuked himself as he made toward the place where servants were hovering with trays of food and drink. It would have been more fitting for him to signal one from where he was previously standing and having the staff member come to him, but he needed the break.

He hadn’t meant to let his guard down, but it seemed he had. Now, he had a decision to make. Should he peruse formal courtship of Lady Katherine? The way his heart thudded at the thought made it evident that he would like to. But other than the infatuation that seemed to have gripped him, would he be able to give her his heart?

He didn’t know.

Picking up a glass of wine, he emptied it unceremoniously and gave it back toe the server. The man did a fairly good job of hiding his dismay. Edward then picked one in each hand, shocking him further, and carried it back to Katherine.

“To your health, my lady, and that of your family”.
Thomas Delagney (played by sanahakuryu) Topic Starter

"Yes. I had noticed," Thomas said, looking back at the women and then back to Beatrice - "here's something you need to know, Miss Vanderson. They all see it as a game here," he commented seriously, keeping her close as they walked through the gardens, pretending to marvel at the flowers.

As they walked, he was also considering his family's position on this match. His mother would most likely dissaprove of his courting of an American when he had so many other, more noble options. But it was the opinion of his father that he would consider closely to heart before deciding whether or not he would and could court Beatrice properly. Of course, he wanted to know her well before he presented her to his family. They were quite intimidating.
"So, apart from your cowboys, what else do women get up to in America?"

"And to yours, Mr Rutherford," Katherine said to him with a small nod of thanks as she took the glass, sipping at it slowly. She was trying to get a read on how he was feeling. It was hard. he was a very guarded man. Does he like me? Am I too much? Too forceful? Perhaps he's looking for a dainty, blonde beauty like his past wife. Someone who will be more of a woman and mother to Emily? All of these questions flooded her head as she stood there with him, trying to avoid the glances of some of the married women around them that she was sure he hadn't noticed.

"I imagine that we will have a warm summer this year," she said, wanting to find anything to talk about so that the conversation didn't continue to lag awakwardly.

Edward was grateful that she found as harmless a topic for them to move to as one could hope for. They’d been traveling down a dangerous path and now she’d put them back on safer land. “I believe you’re right” he said. “I usually take Emily to our second house in the country for a few weeks if it gets too hot. It’s cooler and there’s a lake I used to swim in as a child. Perhaps you’ll come visit us, so that her musical education won’t suffer”. The idea seemed suddenly very appealing to him. Owlette cottage was about as informal a place as he’d ever been too. They never dressed for dinner, Emily was allowed to run wild all day and he’d sit on the porch reading and watching her. He had a sudden vision of Katherine there, her dress plain and grass stained, laughing.

Of course… he’ll have to get a piano down there. Otherwise his motive in having Katherine visit would be quickly found out. he made a mental note to make inquiries.

“When can we hope to see you for the first lesson?” he asked. “Emily’s been talking of nothing else since”. That was mostly true. She spoke of Katherine’s lessons and the American cousin who she had found bewitching.

"I do have commitments for the next few days. But Wednesday this coming week should be suitable. Would around 11am be sufficient? I understand that you may have business dealings in the morning. I would not wish to intrude during this time," she commented to him simply. The idea of a cottage in the middle of nowhere sounded wonderful. Of course, her family escaped summer by going to Paris. To a hot and bustling city. It was not her idea of a holiday. Or an escape.

Once, her sister and she had taken a trip out to the country to see their old governess. They had sat under a tree in a field of flowers and ran about with their feet bare and their curls flying out. Her sister had been married a few months later and she had been thrust out into society. Childhood was a fleeting thing for a young woman in this time. Men seemed to be allowed much more of their youth. Indeed, even newly married men were often seen flirting, their young brides only a few feet from their arms. It was deplorable. But society accepted such behaviour from men. It would never have been acceptable for a woman to behave as such.

"There must be a lot of inspiration in the country. And fresh air to fulfil the soul. it is a good place for music," Katherine observed, looking at him with a smile - "I hope I might take you up on that offer one day. Though I doubt my family will agree to that without a chaperone, I'm sorry."

“Wednesday at 11 would be perfect” Edward, though in fact, it would not. Emily had lessons and he had a meeting in the city. All things he could change, and would, rather than tell her not to come. “Perhaps you’ll be able to stay for lunch afterwards. We usually have it at half past noon”.

She was right to point out she could hardly make a visit to his country house without proper accompaniment. He should have known better. Not sure how to backtrack his social error, he once again found himself tongue tied. How can talking to her an seem so easy one moment, and so fraught with complications another?* he wondered. He was letting his emotions take rein again, that’s how. He was never very good at that.

“How long will you be in Paris?” he managed something, finally. The hour was getting late and he needed to get back home soon. It was be a delight to e away from this crowd. Not so, of her.

"Probably most of the season. My grandmother like the theater and the society events, so she usually stays the whole length," Katherine admitted, thinking that it was unfortunate that she too would have to stay that long also. She hated staying too long in Paris. People were even more judgmental there. But at least her music was appreciated.

"Will you be taking Emily with you to Paris when you go? Perhaps her lessons need not be interrupted by both of our travels," she continued, trying not to make the conversation about her. She preferred to speak on subjects she knew Edward would be confirtable with. His daughter was one of them.

“I hadn’t planned to,” Edward said, arching an eyebrow. “Do you really think I should? She’ll probably be thrilled at the idea. She hates it when I travel, I usually have her stay with my sister. I hadn’t… I hadn’t considered taking her along”. He felt slightly ashamed for not having given the matter any thought. Then again, he was traveling on business. He’ll need to hire a governess, or bring Emily’s with them, a thought he did not relish.

“Did you travel much at her age?” he asked, eager to get more of her perspective on this issue. “Did you find it…” he was about to say enjoyable, and then remembered child rearing wasn’t supposed to be about making life enjoyable for them. “Useful?”

"I did. With my family. We travelled when my father was invited," she explained, "never very far when we were young. But then to Paris, Berlin and Rome. My mother found travelling much enjoyable," Katherine commented.

She didn't know if she had found travelling useful. She had found out a lot about other cultures and it had helped her learn languages. But had she learnt a lot? Katherine was sure in a way she had. But the woman had enjoyed travelling more than she had found it useful. Being cooped up in English society had never been fun.

"Do you and your daughter like to ride, Mr Rutherford? Come summer, the countryside on the estate is glorious to ride on," Katherine explained.

“I love to ride!” Edward said, more excitedly than he meant to. He cleared his voice then, flushing slightly. “Emily’s not quite as enthused as I, I’m afraid. Horses make her nervous. I’m hoping she’ll grow out of it. I used to love riding when I was young. It was the only time I really felt…” he hesitated but decided to finish his sentence. “Free”.

Not sure if she minded, he still felt like providing an explanation was expected. “I’m sure you’ve heard by now we’re only third generation peered. My grandfather was honored by the king for outstanding military services. Given a wife with considerable lands and a title to match. He was a gruff man, my grandfather. Outspoken and straightforward. I’m told I take after him.

“He didn’t take to his new stature, but my father did. He was quite determined to make sure his children will be virtually undiscernible in manner, speech and accomplishment from all other noble houses. It could get… draining. We always had to learn more, meet more people, improve. Riding was my fondest break from those never ending commitments. My father approved; he thought all boys of high-born families were excellent riders. So, he’d leave me be.”

“What of you, Lady Wytherine? Do you ride?”

"When it is permitted. Yes. My father has an appreciation for horses. As do I. I think they are beautiful animals," the woman said to him, smiling a bit when she noted how excited he had become.

"The estate leases a stable yard to a breeder who has had contact with our family for almost as long as we have been living here on the estate," Katherine explained, "when I was younger, I rode more than I do now. Skirts and decorum and manners make it a little more difficult," the lady admitted.

She would like to ride more. But it was hard. And her grandmother and mother did not approve. So she had to wait until they were gone. And that was very rare these days. It had been easier when her sister had been courting. But now she was married, her mother was focused on social affairs and her grandmother was focused on trying to marry her off. So sneaking a moment was hard.

“Perhaps we can steal a little bit of time to go riding, after your lessons?” Edward suggested, surprised by his boldness yet unregretful. “I assure you, I won’t stand on ceremony”. Smiling, he thought he knew which horse would suit her nature. Temerity, despite her name, was one of the best mares in his stables. She was sweet natured but with a streak of independence he thought lady Katherine would appreciate. When he took her out, he learned letting her take lead often turned out to be the right decision.

It would soon be time for him to leave. “Would you like to dance again?” he asked, bowing slightly.
with a flick of a wrist "You know lying, cheating, manipulation, Blackmail and lots of good food" She laughed "Right before I left my mom hired this chef from Japan, and did you know they eat raw fish" her eyes glitter a bit as she talks "I want to travel there and everywhere else,but not married so a bit limited" she squeezes his arm a bit as they circle around.

"I would like that. Both the riding and the dancing," she said to Edward, holding her hand out to him at the suggestion at more dancing. She was happy. Happier than she had been in a little while.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Across a Crowded Room [Victorian Era 1x1/Group RP]

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus