Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Queer Rugby Player

BindieBot

I don't play Rugby anymore but I used to for a while when I was still in the closet. I played for the 5th, 6th, 10th, 11th, and 12th years in my local rugby chapter in the northwest. I'm Pansexual and genderfluid :P.

At the turn of my 6th year, I started developing back pains which we then found out was acute Scoliosis and it took 4 years of physical therapy for my body to be at a point where I could start playing again.

I was a forward from 5th to 6th but after I came back for 10th through 12th I was a back as I was fairly agile and thin.
Auberon Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear about your Scoliosis. I understand it can be quite painful to live with!

Now that you're back on the field, what position do you play? Are you excited to get back into the sport?
BindieBot Topic Starter

Actually, the next season doesn't start till 2021 so it's gonna be a while till I'm back on the field, but I'll probably be a back (10 or 11). I'm too skinny to be a forward, plus I have long flowy hair which doesn't exactly help in a scrum. Overall though, I'm very excited to play some more, it's been too long since I was covered in sweat, mud, and bruises (my boyfriend doesn't like seeing me come back with bloody noses and black eyes but those injuries are usually paired with a big dumb smile).

As for my Scoliosis, I've been prescribed medicinal marijuana (low THC/high CBD) for about 6 months now and it's been doing wonders for my back pain AND my bad sleep schedule.
Are you concerned that your sexual orientation could lead to some rough treatment? Not sure how accurate that is in this day and age so I figured you would be well suited to educating me.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Queer Rugby Player

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus