Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » How do you dispel a dice curse?

For those that know Critical Role, I think I have been channeling Will Wheaton, because I haven't just been rolling low, I have been rolling wrong.

This takes place in pokemon tabletop.
First roll is a DC of 10, now because I have put points into this particular skill, I have a roll of 5d6. So I should clear this super easily.
I roll a 12. Barely clear that and only do so because I have a bs roll for it.

Then I need to make another dc of ten check for the same skill. 5d6 again. I roll an 11.

Then I don't realize there has been an errata since I think I need to use the old pokemon catching rules. For this roll I need to roll a 60 or below on a d100. I roll a 75.

Luckily that roll doesn't count because of said errata, instead the new rules require I roll a 9 on a d20 with a +6, coutesy of using a great ball and being a super high level trainer. I roll a 4. so I just barely meet the dc.

Then the dm rolls to determine the feebas's info like nature and gender. I hope for a female since right now my team is 75% male , the pokemon I caught is a feebas and I prefer the female milotic sprite. The odds of getting a female is 50%. I also hope it doesn't have an attack boosting nature which because of the extra natures in tabletop...I think it's something like a 35 out of 40ish chance I won't get one.

Welp, the dm rolls me a male feebas with an attack boosting nature.

Now I need a way to cleanse this curse, but the problem is I am rolling on discord so no physical dice I can jail. So how should I break the curse of Will Wheaton that is upon me?
dice_gods_poster-rd7bd315d60244460bef5abe96a711dbc_aq3o8_8byvr_512.jpg
As someone who has been under a pretty constant dice curse since the beginning of her gaming career, if you find out, let me know!
MordosKull

With physical dice I’ve learned that it’s a bit easier to manipulate the roll without cheating by throwing it a certain way. I usually hold a low number face up and throw it with my left hand so that the roll is purposely not as strong and it lands on a high number.

Things are trickier in discord and electronic RNG but there are some things you can do. RNG is all about probability and one thing I’ve noticed sometimes works is to roll for an important roll after you’ve rolled low. Sometimes what I do is if I rolled high I start rolling when I don’t need it to ‘get the low rolls out of the way’ and save a good roll for later.

Naturally this isn’t a sure fire method, some people are just more lucky than others, but as someone who’s also been quite cursed I legitimately think there are methods to combat bad luck. Try holding on to a charm or do something that you believe will help you, I personally like doing push-ups or squats before rolling as to appease Lady Luck with some kind of sacrifice. Sometimes if you believe hard enough in something it becomes a reality
I have been a blight of bad luck in my table tops for about a year now, and I’d nearly given up hope until I found myself; Or more accurately made myself, a good luck charm. It’s nothing too special just a boar tusk on a piece of nylon chord but it’s been getting the job done! I’ve been rolling decent rolls now for a couple weeks.

Of course it hasn’t removed my curse entirely, but it’s given me a fight in the chance!
A dice curse is an excuse to buy more dice. :>
Katia Topic Starter

I like the idea of a lucky charm and I think I know something to try to use as one. Also while some dice are drop dead gorgeous, since it's not physical dice I am tolling, it doesn't give me an excuse to buy more. Hopefully if the dice gods are just mad at me, they will soon turn their ire to someone else.
Will_of_Wisps

Nah whatchu wanna do is call upon the Favor of the Chaos Gods more precisely the blue one Tzeentch (Can't miss the guy big blue ever changing form of and bird fetish) and hammer out a bargain so you can roll well again, it might not cost you anything important either so it's a win win, juuuuuuust get ready for an extra limb or bird beak and maybe feathers.
Just keep on rolling. My dice curse is one where I either roll supremely high or abysmally low. Been around for years for me and I've learned to live with it.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » How do you dispel a dice curse?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus