Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » ‘Slice of Life’ Community

Yo,

I was just curious to reach out and see how many fellow folks out there like the Slice of Life themed RP? I was hoping to get connected with some like minded peeps and make some friends, hopefully some future RP partners too.

While I ab-so-lutely understand the appeal of wanting to be in a world so completely unlike your own, doing things that you could never possibly do, I honestly find it really intriguing to live… kind of like a double life through “obtainable” characters doing “obtainable” things.

Now, that doesn’t mean I dislike high fantasy and don’t indulge, and it also doesn’t mean I like RPing Beth at the office desk making copies of the new phone list for everyone… a healthy mix is my most favorite, I suppose. “Normal” everyday life, but with like hidden supernatural existence is my niche. Ya dig?
Rogue-Scribe

“Yeah man, I dig!” Darrell says.

I have a few Modern/Modern-Historical SoL characters, some with rather developed storylines, and enjoy writing them as ‘alternatives’ to my life-path and experiences. It sort of gives one a chance to ‘be’ somebody else in a sense, like you say... an ‘obtainable’ character doing ‘obtainable’ things.

I say ‘modern-historical’ due to some of my RP stories are dated back to earlier this century and into the late 20th century. Not sure where the line gets drawn on where ‘historical’ ends and ‘modern’ begins. I definitely don’t RP ‘Modern’ in the strictest sense as I care not to have Covid in any of my stories. I suppose for me it’s ‘modern-historical’ up to the end of 2019, and ‘Modern AU’ for 2020-21 (no Covid). A slight measure of the paranormal/supernatural can make some stories interesting.

Maybe a general ‘Slice of Life’ community might find some interest?

Edit - June 30 2021:
In reading the responses, there seems to be a bit of a disconnect with the meaning of the word ‘group’. I saw the original intent of this thread and the OP’s post to mean ‘group’ as in a ‘community’ that can be created here on RPR for people who are into the Modern/Slice-of-Life genre of roleplay, not as in organising a particular ‘group’ game. The OP hasn’t returned to their thread to clarify what they meant.

That said; I think I will go ahead and put together an RPR group (not a group ‘game’ but an RPR ‘community’) so anyone of like mind can join to meet like-minded writers/players and discuss modern slice of life stories and plots and such. From there, may the roleplays grow, either 1x1 or “group” in a writing/gaming sense in the community public or private forum, or on the RPR General Public Forum. This is my extra 2¢... equaling 4¢ from me.
I used to love doing these. The biggest issue I found is when you get a group of people together, there is inevitably drama behind the scenes. One of the biggest challenges with running a game like this is they typically take place in a small town or a community like a high school or college campus. As such, it's very hard to keep a group of players on the same page and agreement on details and events. Also, the biggest issue I've discovered with play-by-post, in general, is the fact that so many people don't post consistently. As a result, it gets very frustrating to stay on pace. The solution I found was to run games like this as one-on-ones and just work with a single player running multiple characters. I've had one here on RPR and we're going three years strong.
Rogue-Scribe

AgentMilkshake wrote:
”... The biggest issue I found is when you get a group of people together, there is inevitably drama behind the scenes. One of the biggest challenges with running a game like this is they typically take place in a small town or a community like a high school or college campus. As such, it's very hard to keep a group of players on the same page and agreement on details and events. Also, the biggest issue I've discovered with play-by-post, in general, is the fact that so many people don't post consistently. As a result, it gets very frustrating to stay on pace. The solution I found was to run games like this as one-on-ones and just work with a single player running multiple characters. I've had one here on RPR and we're going three years strong.”
I agree. That issue isn’t specific to ‘Slice-of-Life’ RPs but multi-player RPs in general. It’s why I have gravitated away from group RPs of late (the last successful multi-player group RP I was a part of was back in 2014-15). I’m not completely sure what exactly The Little Witch had in mind here, but it was the 1st paragraph of her post that got my thoughts going...

I was thinking of a ‘group’ created here that would be more of an OOC Slice-of-Life writer’s gathering place, a ‘Guild’ of sorts I suppose, where like-minded people can meet and talk, discuss and share storylines and characters, and engage with each other in RP if they like. Whether RPs are done as a ‘multi-player’ or 1x1, either in the RPR General RP public forum, a public or private forum in the group, or in PM would be up to the individual writers on what they want to do. That, in essence, is my 2¢ (and a nickel more) on the subject.
I definitely love the slice of life mixed with some magical elements especially since most of my characters are not fully human. Slice of life is my main jam, whether its historical, high fantasy, or modern.
I love slice of life but I feel like I always fail to make characters that fit it
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
AgentMilkshake wrote:
”... The biggest issue I found is when you get a group of people together, there is inevitably drama behind the scenes. One of the biggest challenges with running a game like this is they typically take place in a small town or a community like a high school or college campus. As such, it's very hard to keep a group of players on the same page and agreement on details and events. Also, the biggest issue I've discovered with play-by-post, in general, is the fact that so many people don't post consistently. As a result, it gets very frustrating to stay on pace. The solution I found was to run games like this as one-on-ones and just work with a single player running multiple characters. I've had one here on RPR and we're going three years strong.”
I agree. That issue isn’t specific to ‘Slice-of-Life’ RPs but multi-player RPs in general. It’s why I have gravitated away from group RPs of late (the last successful multi-player group RP I was a part of was back in 2014-15). I’m not completely sure what exactly The Little Witch had in mind here, but it was the 1st paragraph of her post that got my thoughts going...

I was thinking of a ‘group’ created here that would be more of an OOC Slice-of-Life writer’s gathering place, a ‘Guild’ of sorts I suppose, where like-minded people can meet and talk, discuss and share storylines and characters, and engage with each other in RP if they like. Whether RPs are done as a ‘multi-player’ or 1x1, either in the RPR General RP public forum, a public or private forum in the group, or in PM would be up to the individual writers on what they want to do. That, in essence, is my 2¢ (and a nickel more) on the subject.

I like the idea of an OOC discussion. It would be nice to bounce ideas around and get plot ideas.
Apologies if the topic is too old to revive.

I feel like I'd enjoy a group of mostly low-stress/small-scale, but I don't really like "school" settings because they tend to attract too much OOC drama. I also would prefer a group, but it seems a lot of the recent ads for things I think my characters/ideas for characters would fit are 1-on-1, and bar rare exceptions, I'd prefer groups.

The one problem I do, personally, run into with SoL groups is... there tends to be more romance, and I'm just not interested in that. I like to explore character relationships but it does sometimes feel like romance is another person's "end-game", or the only recognized experience. (I have also found that, unfortunately, if you filter out romance entirely from the Find Groups section, you just don't get any search results, but if you filter for 30% max, you get a few. I would be iffy on that 30% but I suppose that is the caveat.)

An aside, but I don't suppose any of you are familiar with a Tabletop system called Golden Sky Stories at all? It was actually designed on the premise of being Slice of Life, in that it is geared toward running one-shots or short adventures, and all the problems you solve in it are very smalltime. I think that system's setting referred to itself as "everyday magic", a genre of fantasy in Japanese fiction. Maybe that is a good descriptor for low-magic SoL?
TheLittleWitch Topic Starter

Rogue-Scribe wrote:
“Yeah man, I dig!” Darrell says.

I have a few Modern/Modern-Historical SoL characters, some with rather developed storylines, and enjoy writing them as ‘alternatives’ to my life-path and experiences. It sort of gives one a chance to ‘be’ somebody else in a sense, like you say... an ‘obtainable’ character doing ‘obtainable’ things.

I say ‘modern-historical’ due to some of my RP stories are dated back to earlier this century and into the late 20th century. Not sure where the line gets drawn on where ‘historical’ ends and ‘modern’ begins. I definitely don’t RP ‘Modern’ in the strictest sense as I care not to have Covid in any of my stories. I suppose for me it’s ‘modern-historical’ up to the end of 2019, and ‘Modern AU’ for 2020-21 (no Covid). A slight measure of the paranormal/supernatural can make some stories interesting.

Maybe a general ‘Slice of Life’ community might find some interest?

Edit - June 30 2021:
In reading the responses, there seems to be a bit of a disconnect with the meaning of the word ‘group’. I saw the original intent of this thread and the OP’s post to mean ‘group’ as in a ‘community’ that can be created here on RPR for people who are into the Modern/Slice-of-Life genre of roleplay, not as in organising a particular ‘group’ game. The OP hasn’t returned to their thread to clarify what they meant.

That said; I think I will go ahead and put together an RPR group (not a group ‘game’ but an RPR ‘community’) so anyone of like mind can join to meet like-minded writers/players and discuss modern slice of life stories and plots and such. From there, may the roleplays grow, either 1x1 or “group” in a writing/gaming sense in the community public or private forum, or on the RPR General Public Forum. This is my extra 2¢... equaling 4¢ from me.

Firstly, thank you for your attentiveness! Secondly, I apologize for the hiatus! And I am sorry, everyone, for not being so careful with my words. I did mean “group” as in society/community, my bad to mislead! Although I have creative ideas, I am a terrible game master…

I agree 100% with everything you’ve said in your second paragraph. I like a real life based setting, as opposed to RPing actual historical (both modern and not - I also don’t know where any specific line is drawn) events. I prefer to leave covid out of my make-believe world too.

That being said, I most certainly will be seeking out that group you’re speaking of. That’s exactly what I was searching for with this post!

Aardbei wrote:

I feel like I'd enjoy a group of mostly low-stress/small-scale, but I don't really like "school" settings because they tend to attract too much OOC drama. I also would prefer a group, but it seems a lot of the recent ads for things I think my characters/ideas for characters would fit are 1-on-1, and bar rare exceptions, I'd prefer groups.

The one problem I do, personally, run into with SoL groups is... there tends to be more romance, and I'm just not interested in that. I like to explore character relationships but it does sometimes feel like romance is another person's "end-game", or the only recognized experience. (I have also found that, unfortunately, if you filter out romance entirely from the Find Groups section, you just don't get any search results, but if you filter for 30% max, you get a few. I would be iffy on that 30% but I suppose that is the caveat.)

An aside, but I don't suppose any of you are familiar with a Tabletop system called Golden Sky Stories at all? It was actually designed on the premise of being Slice of Life, in that it is geared toward running one-shots or short adventures, and all the problems you solve in it are very smalltime. I think that system's setting referred to itself as "everyday magic", a genre of fantasy in Japanese fiction. Maybe that is a good descriptor for low-magic SoL?

I totally agree with the romance issue. While I don’t mind if characters naturally have a flirtatious relationship or a romance comfortably grows, I don’t aim for that to be the main goal of the story when I RP. I very much feel ya there! And it does seem like that is what everyone else is looking for… so if you’re ever in the mood to cook up an adventure that involves more IC drama or shenanigans then romantic elements, hit me up!
Rogue-Scribe

TheLittleWitch wrote:
I like a real life based setting, as opposed to RPing actual historical (both modern and not - I also don’t know where any specific line is drawn) events. I prefer to leave covid out of my make-believe world too.

That being said, I most certainly will be seeking out that group you’re speaking of. That’s exactly what I was searching for with this post!
Well, life and fun being what they are, I haven’t had a chance to get it together as yet. It is high on my ‘todo’ list though, right after current RP replies.
TheLittleWitch wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

I totally agree with the romance issue. While I don’t mind if characters naturally have a flirtatious relationship or a romance comfortably grows, I don’t aim for that to be the main goal of the story when I RP. I very much feel ya there! And it does seem like that is what everyone else is looking for… so if you’re ever in the mood to cook up an adventure that involves more IC drama or shenanigans then romantic elements, hit me up!

Sounds nice. :) Although all my characters are geared toward fantasy over modern, admittedly. I find it boring to deal with cities and tech, and also like characters which are either not human, or have some connection to nature or some kind of power even if it is minor. (My actual life is full of too much powerlessness ha.) I wouldn't be adverse to a modern setting though, it depends on the setting.

I absolutely avoid 'historical' settings though, as in, things that are actually based on historical places. It's boring, for one, and it sometimes attracts a bad crowd for another. You dodge both problems if a fantasy setting doesn't take place on earth at all, or it takes place in modern alternate earth. (A lot of anime do this.)
Rogue-Scribe

Aardbei wrote:
Sounds nice. :) Although all my characters are geared toward fantasy over modern, admittedly. I find it boring to deal with cities and tech, and also like characters which are either not human, or have some connection to nature or some kind of power even if it is minor. (My actual life is full of too much powerlessness ha.) I wouldn't be adverse to a modern setting though, it depends on the setting.

I absolutely avoid 'historical' settings though, as in, things that are actually based on historical places. It's boring, for one, and it sometimes attracts a bad crowd for another. You dodge both problems if a fantasy setting doesn't take place on earth at all, or it takes place in modern alternate earth. (A lot of anime do this.)

I tend to avoid fantasy and supernatural in modern slice of life and modern historical settings. That is a whole other genre I prefer to keep separate from my modern day writing.
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

I tend to avoid fantasy and supernatural in modern slice of life and modern historical settings. That is a whole other genre I prefer to keep separate from my modern day writing.

I'm curious but, what kind of stories do you typically tell?
This could work with some of my characters, but not all of them.
Aardbei wrote:
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

For me, when I do slice of life, I think in terms of a television drama and/or mystery. My game takes place in 1982. While we spend lots of times having the characters hang out, work at their jobs, and do other daily activities, there are a few things going on. There has been a string of car thefts in the area and one of the characters is an amateur photographer and is about to go investigate something they and a few friends saw. Also, we planted a seed for another storyline that hasn't been utilized yet. Some of our characters found a girl that attends high school with them taped up and tossed in the dumpster behind a local restaurant after hours.
AgentMilkshake wrote:
Aardbei wrote:
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

For me, when I do slice of life, I think in terms of a television drama and/or mystery. My game takes place in 1982. While we spend lots of times having the characters hang out, work at their jobs, and do other daily activities, there are a few things going on. There has been a string of car thefts in the area and one of the characters is an amateur photographer and is about to go investigate something they and a few friends saw. Also, we planted a seed for another storyline that hasn't been utilized yet. Some of our characters found a girl that attends high school with them taped up and tossed in the dumpster behind a local restaurant after hours.

._.; that sounds pretty brutal... I guess everyone in the game is fine with something that dark.

Aardbei wrote:
AgentMilkshake wrote:
Aardbei wrote:
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
Aardbei wrote:

._.; that sounds pretty brutal... I guess everyone in the game is fine with something that dark.

Oh yes, some of us quite like the dark 😈 not every story or character can have a romantic happily ever after. But I also understand that some do not like the dark.

This was exactly what I was trying to create a discussion about with my post, see who else out there shares interests! There are no right or wrong answers, it’s all supposed to be entertainment, and different things entertain different folks.
TheLittleWitch wrote:
Oh yes, some of us quite like the dark 😈 not every story or character can have a romantic happily ever after. But I also understand that some do not like the dark.

This was exactly what I was trying to create a discussion about with my post, see who else out there shares interests! There are no right or wrong answers, it’s all supposed to be entertainment, and different things entertain different folks.

Completely understandable. Yeah, part of why I stay near the fantasy setting is because you can often have tension or conflict that doesn't go that dark, or which is an allegory for a much darker real-world theme but with a softer hand. A conflict about draining magic, a displeased local god, a mischievous spirit, or two sentient animals who dislike each other is a far sight less charged than any alike real-world conflict would need to be by necessity.

My actual writing is sometimes pretty dark, as well as some of the media I enjoy, but my threshold for what I can handle goes way down the second other people are involved just because it is much easier for a group to escalate far beyond that threshold far quicker than a single person ramping themselves up. It's especially difficult to confer boundaries in games which have already started, and thankfully, this board does have warnings about gore or death in post titles. That is not something I've always had access to on other boards or IRC in the past.

Having said that, I don't think I'd be able to participate in a game this group sets up, but I'm glad you all found each other. Also happy to have met at least a few people who don't care much for romantic connections on a board that feels like it's what most people want or at least entertain... (Filtering the romance to 0 on the Find RP section quite literally gets zero results...) Let me know if any of you might be interested in some kind of low-stress group thing sometime. :)

Rogue-Scribe wrote:
TheLittleWitch wrote:
I like a real life based setting, as opposed to RPing actual historical (both modern and not - I also don’t know where any specific line is drawn) events. I prefer to leave covid out of my make-believe world too.

Well, life and fun being what they are, I haven’t had a chance to get it together as yet. It is high on my ‘todo’ list though, right after current RP replies.

No pressure! I’ll keep an eye out! I look forward to chatting with you sometime :)

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » ‘Slice of Life’ Community

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus