Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Can anyone else relate to this?

MasterWinter

7e0761c98f9d86f40c26bfc7af36146d.jpg

This is actually a reason why I take time to create muses. I find so many things, at least image wise, that I want to combine into one big-ish project...yet I'm then left wondering how to fit them together. Usually will take me a long while to figure out if things can work out or not, but it's worth waiting and getting a proper answer, than just trying to shove things together at once.
Can relate.

Images? āœ“

Idea? āœ“

Brain willing to cooperate and make it happen even though I really want to make it? Ɨ

Money and character slots? ...

We, feel the pain of having no idea what the heck I'm doing when trying to make a new character.
FYI I am not asking for cloaks or money.
MasterWinter Topic Starter

YummYThEDemoN wrote:
FYI I am not asking for cloaks or money.

-light chuckle- No worries, I understood.
This is what I go through with my existing muses, especially when trying to world build. I daydream amazing scenes and ideas, then realize that I don't know how to fit any of it into my project. It's frustrating, but the daydreaming is kinda fun.
Yes, I get it. My trouble is also managing to come up with interesting plots when Iā€™m working and have no way of recording them at the time. I get home, and I can only find shells of the idea in my head.
Yup! I was supposed to finish the first draft of a book yesterday but instead I'm only halfway done!

The last couple weeks every time I sit down to write my brain is like:

luc.gif
Auberon Moderator

I've been struggling with my muse for the better part of about six months, if not longer. I love talking plot and working on my ocs (drawing them, commissioning art), but actually RPing has been so hard. I just reigned in my executive dysfunction finally, though, so I'm hoping that helps. I also haven't really had steady RP partners until recently, but now I have some good folks, so hopefully I won't let them down.
Mina Moderator

(chuckles in 11 open illustrations, all unsaved, all concepts for new OCs that I know I'll never finish.)
Yes. Yes I do.

I have always found that I have the best success "finishing" a concept when I connect new concepts to old ones. For instance, a new character could be somehow linked to one of my main characters. Even if they never actually intersect in an RP, the knowledge is there that character B has had the experience of being in a similar place as character A, or having had to tolerate some of character A's flaws. They could be exes, friends, distant relatives, coworkers, people who've met briefly at a party.. One of my characters is a Psychiatrist and another character is one of her patients. It sorta gives me a springboard and fleshes out the person's world a twinge before I actually get started on them.

Seems we all can relate in a specific way. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

My first ever muses that I made, Bane (yes I know so original for a name) and her twin sister Catori, have been incomplete on backstory since practically my creating them back in 2006. I had a rough start for the backstory, and people loved to rp with the twins.

The only problem I've had, and still do to this day, is coming up with reasons for things. That's always been my issue for the twins.

"Well if I say that the villain did "x" in the backstory, and he also did "y", what's his reasoning?"

I even used to have help from a former close friend, and even then when he came up with an idea, it still was the same issue.

What's the reasoning?

Kind of sucks because I LOVE my twins, and would love to update them and such. But my mind is just like: Why?

Mina's post

Mina wrote:
(chuckles in 11 open illustrations, all unsaved, all concepts for new OCs that I know I'll never finish.)
Yes. Yes I do.

I have always found that I have the best success "finishing" a concept when I connect new concepts to old ones. For instance, a new character could be somehow linked to one of my main characters. Even if they never actually intersect in an RP, the knowledge is there that character B has had the experience of being in a similar place as character A, or having had to tolerate some of character A's flaws. They could be exes, friends, distant relatives, coworkers, people who've met briefly at a party.. One of my characters is a Psychiatrist and another character is one of her patients. It sorta gives me a springboard and fleshes out the person's world a twinge before I actually get started on them.

That's kind of what I'm doing with a smallish project of mine. I have minor npc's I attach to a main oc, so to help move the story along and such. Come to think of it though...You know. You made me realize that more npc's is not always necessary. I should only focus on the npc's that are going to actually be most helpful for the main oc, and save the others for if and when it's really needed. Or if and when I decide to make them into their own main muses.

Thank you for that!

Auberon's post

Auberon wrote:
I've been struggling with my muse for the better part of about six months, if not longer. I love talking plot and working on my ocs (drawing them, commissioning art), but actually RPing has been so hard. I just reigned in my executive dysfunction finally, though, so I'm hoping that helps. I also haven't really had steady RP partners until recently, but now I have some good folks, so hopefully I won't let them down.

Yeah that's something else I struggle with myself. Finding steady partners that is. But I've also not been overly active on here either. Thus that also doesn't help. Maybe when I'm more active, I'll have luck.
Yeah, actually RPing has been hard for me lately. It's not just finding the spark to start something but the fuel to continue it and feed that flame without letting it die out. Putting things together is just so much effort.

Honestly, I think many people have most of their energy going to less longterm creative endeavors right now, and thats okay. Times are tough for many people so I don't think doing what's best for your mental health (even if that means dipping out of a RP) is something that can be held against anyone.

Kruhee wrote:
Yeah, actually RPing has been hard for me lately. It's not just finding the spark to start something but the fuel to continue it and feed that flame without letting it die out. Putting things together is just so much effort.

Honestly, I think many people have most of their energy going to less longterm creative endeavors right now, and thats okay. Times are tough for many people so I don't think doing what's best for your mental health (even if that means dipping out of a RP) is something that can be held against anyone.

Very true. One's health, be it mental or other wise, is more important. And that is okay.

Edit: I actually also do have friends on here, also on Discord, who rp with me. We don't always reply to one another, be it the RPR rp's or Discord, but we keep in touch while also replying when we can too. I know not everyone is like that, where they talk with one another outside of rp. But I do with some of the people I rp with.
I gave up on writing after failing to write finished books for 3 years.
Poured all my energy into tabletop games and RPs and am generally happier about that.
I'm a better worldbuilder than a storyteller, I think.

It's hard to lock yourself into 1 'scenario' for your characters, I think. Character development feels like it has to follow a linear path in proper stories (that aren't slice of life, which I just do not like because they make me feel like my time is being wasted) but I don't feel so locked-in with more casual uses for my characters and worlds.
YUUUP. That's also why I love RP, though. You can have your characters, aesthetics, whatever, and just fit them wherever they go.

However (šŸ˜­), I've always had "RP ideas" and "novel ideas", and they never seem to intersect, and I can always write bits and pieces but never patch them together. It's rough!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Can anyone else relate to this?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus