Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Trick or Treat: KA-TU2 (CLOSED)

Somewhere on a forgotten planet, in a desolate junkyard sits the remains of a spaceship. Its name long forgotten, stripped of its engines, control systems, and other vital parts is now an empty shell. Those who are aware of the ship's existence have jokingly christened it IGC-Immobile Object (Intergalactic Cruiser Immobile Object).

Aboard the ship, overlooked by pirates and looters is a small, square robot; an artificially intelligent kitchen appliance and food processor that managed to hide. Unable to repair the ship itself, it has managed to rig up a crude homing beacon, beckoning someone to find the ruined spacecraft in hopes of making it space-worthy once again.

KA-TU2 is a glorified toaster but is masquerading as the ship's computer. While it has vast knowledge, it has no social skills and is incapable of understanding human (or alien) behavior. Through research, it has learned of a tradition on a planet known as Earth called Halloween. KA has decided to lure beings known as "Trick-or-Treaters".

KA doesn't understand these beings' bizarre rituals. All it knows is they come seeking goods sometimes called "treats" or "candy". Having no food onboard and not understanding the concept of food, KA has decided to offer bits of the ship (ie- nuts and bots) to those who come up the ramp as an offering, hoping someone will have the knowledge or desire to repair the inoperable craft.

OOC: This RP is set in a sci-fi setting. The ship could be on Earth in any time period or on any planet or world. Any type of character is welcome. Perhaps you picked up an odd distress signal if you come from a world with advanced technology. You could have also used magic or found it through rumors or just plain luck. Likewise, modern characters can assume someone put this together as an elaborate Halloween decoration and it exists purely for some spooky All-Hallows Eve fun.

This is a humor-based setup inspired by the RPG "Tails from the Floating Vagabond", Douglas Adam's Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Red Dwarf, Space Balls, and other silly genres. The interactions may be awkward and your character will likely walk away with a bag full of old parts. KA may need a good kick or bang on the top if he starts skipping and repeating himself. The ship isn't worth restoring, too much is missing and there is nothing of value on board. We will assume however you found "The Immobile Object" that you are here looking for loot or candy and find a strange computer and an awkward interaction instead. The ramp to the ship is down. Your character need only stand at the bottom and call up ("Trick-or-Treat "or "Hello?" will work, too) and a small toaster-like computer will emerge or you can go up the ramp where KA will be waiting to greet you.

I should reply within 24 hours (weeknights most likely during the workweek). If I somehow miss you, please feel free to repost or PM me.

IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION: Unless you are roleplaying with someone else and planned to do this as a group, please assume that you are the only one present in your scene. Past experience has proven things get a bit messy as everyone is on their own timeline and responses get out of order, particularly if someone takes a few days to reply. Trying to keep players' actions in order doesn't work well and not everyone is going to see that your character is trying to interact with them if you try to join in on their scene already in progress. That way we avoid having to stay in order. There is no need to wait for someone else to finish. I may be working with several players simultaneously, so you can just jump in.
Sivwikkas (played by Ilmarinen)

Sivwikkas didn't often find much occasion to take their little shuttle off the station. They were terribly busy with work, after all. But the humans were all occupied that night celebrating one of their holidays, and the little alien still wasn't comfortable socializing with them outside of a work setting. They wished they were, though ... those parties sure sounded fun.

Well, the scrapyard sounded fun too, in its own way. The isswas set down in a clearing and began poking around for interesting bits and bobs. Instead of finding a gently used mark 2 displacer coil, however, they found the husk of a vintage spaceship! A ramp led from the ground up into its belly, and Wikkas was too curious for their own good. "Hello?" they squeaked as they started up the ramp. "Anyone in there?"
U.N.I.T. 35235236466-0001A (played by AgentMilkshake) Topic Starter

A small, square robot covered in dials and blinking lights rolls out of the darkness to the top of the ramp. A red light on a pole on top of its head begins to flash. Two eye stalks on the post below the flashing light. They shift their gaze to the bluish four-armed humanoid. A blast of steam comes from a vent on the side and a bell dings. The area inside the ship around the ramp is pitch-black in the way places tended to be that had no lights much like caves.

"Greetings being! You must a trick or treater," The robot says as its accordion-like mouth bobs up and down as it speaks in a deep monotone voice. "Welcome to IGC Immobile Object! Um..." It pauses for a moment as it retrieves data from its script.

"That is a lovely costume you are wearing," it finally says after releasing another blast of steam. "What are you supposed to be?" The small computer makes what would be considered a rude sound by most biological beings followed by two more dings. Its eyes stay fixed on the newcomer.
Flynn (played by Riik)

A silvery space bike circled the junkyard once, its sole occupant concealed by its enclosed cockpit, gazing down at the treasure trove of spare parts below. A perfect way to follow up a night of energetic festivities. Extending the two landing wheels, Flynn guided the glorified missile down to a promising landing spot and eased the vehicle to a halt. With the hiss of escaping air, the cockpit window slid open and Flynn climbed down from their mount, body adorned in a pink form-fitting space jumpsuit and matching closed-face motorcycle-esque helmet. They checked the display panel in their bike's cockpit for atmospheric readings and finally pulled their helmet free, revealing a face painted to resemble a clown. A feature they had entirely forgotten about.

Flynn then began skipping their way toward the most promising feature of the junkyard. What appeared to be a crashed spacecraft. A great salvage opportunity!
It wasn't often that Sapphira ventured far from her home planet of Alphe-Terra. When she did, though, it was in the pursuit of something: Souls, part, and in today's case - treats. It was Samhain, or All Hallow's Eve as most Earth people called it. Sapphira loved Samhain because it made it all the more easier to bug people without needing to mess with invitations or incomplete ports of herself. Sapphira hopped into the power lines as a small, blue spark and coasted along the power lines' currents.

As she was coasting along, she spotted a strange sight - a large, rusted ship sitting in the middle of the cul-de-sac. What was a ship doing here, of all places? Weren't most "UFOs" shinier than this? Then again, the sight could also be a person who devoted way more hours than they should've for a Samhain exhibit.

The spark leapt from the powerline and re-materialized as a tall, blue and purple demi-dragon with a pumpkin pail strapped to her tail. Slinking up to the ramp, Sapphira tapped a talon on the ramp three times. "Trick or... treat?"

Sapphira's long, fuzzy ears swivelled towards the top of the ramp. Now, all she had to wait for was an answer.

Sivwikkas jumped when they heard noises coming from the top of the ramp, their skin blanching to a much paler tone. Once they saw the nature of the entity greeting them, the blue-and-orange color of their complexion returned to normal, and a flash of amused pink rippled through their dark spots. It was a cute little bot! "Oh, um--I'm sorry, I'm not wearing a costume, but I'm a computer programmer. Er, and an engineer. Or, um, did you mean ... I'm isswasi if you mean, um, 'what' I am, um ..."

It seemed that the allure of the downed craft drew more than just Wikkas that evening. As Flynn's ship roared overhead, the isswas squawked and blanched again--and once more when a draconic woman tapped at the bottom of the ramp. "Trick or ... treat?" they repeated, a question directed to Sapphira, though KA-TU2 may interpret it as a call to action ...

Sivwikkas jumped when they heard noises coming from the top of the ramp, their skin blanching to a much paler tone. Once they saw the nature of the entity greeting them, the blue-and-orange color of their complexion returned to normal, and a flash of amused pink rippled through their dark spots. It was a cute little bot! "Oh, um--I'm sorry, I'm not wearing a costume, but I'm a computer programmer. Er, and an engineer. Or, um, did you mean ... I'm isswasi if you mean, um, 'what' I am, um ..."

The robot made a series of noises again and belched out more steam as it processed Sivwikkas response. "You are the best computer programmer, Er and an engineer I have seen tonight! That seems to be a very popular costume this year," The robot said in a flat monotone voice. There was no inflection in its tone and each word was perfectly spaced. Clearly, it did not understand Sivwikkas was not a trick-or-treater and had shared their occupation.

It seemed that the allure of the downed craft drew more than just Wikkas that evening. As Flynn's ship roared overhead, the isswas squawked and blanched again--and once more when a draconic woman tapped at the bottom of the ramp. "Trick or ... treat?" they repeated, a question directed to Sapphira, though KA-TU2 may interpret it as a call to action ...

The red bulb on KA's head lit up and the bell dinged. A flag on its shoulder swung out and dropped. It was as if Sivwikkas had spoken a command word. "Yes! Happy Halloween. Have some treats. Hold your jack-o-lantern or container under the receptacle to receive output!"

The small computer rotated its eyes at the four-armed being waiting for it to comply with the instruction. KA did not clarify where the 'receptacle was that it was referring to, leaving the instructions unclear and open to interpretation.

A silvery space bike circled the junkyard once, its sole occupant concealed by its enclosed cockpit, gazing down at the treasure trove of spare parts below. A perfect way to follow up a night of energetic festivities. Extending the two landing wheels, Flynn guided the glorified missile down to a promising landing spot and eased the vehicle to a halt. With the hiss of escaping air, the cockpit window slid open and Flynn climbed down from their mount, body adorned in a pink form-fitting space jumpsuit and matching closed-face motorcycle-esque helmet. They checked the display panel in their bike's cockpit for atmospheric readings and finally pulled their helmet free, revealing a face painted to resemble a clown. A feature they had entirely forgotten about.

A little while later, KA heard an approaching ground craft. It rolled to the ramp and lowered its eyestalks so they were facing the ramp. Flynn then began skipping their way toward the most promising feature of the junkyard. What appeared to be a crashed spacecraft. A great salvage opportunity!

A being in a pink suit and helmet appeared at the base of the ramp.

"You must be crew," KA said when the pink-suited being came into view, after a series of beeps and dings as it processed the visual information. The pipe on its side belched another round of steam. The squarish robot made a noise that sounded like a car backfiring." For output, please say 'Trick-or-treat'," KA stated in its monotonous tone after a moment. The robot's gaze remained fixed on Flynn as it waited for a response.

The spark leapt from the powerline and re-materialized as a tall, blue and purple demi-dragon with a pumpkin pail strapped to her tail. Slinking up to the ramp, Sapphira tapped a talon on the ramp three times.

KA was in idle mode when it heard the taps. It rolled to the ramp to investigate. There it saw a large dragon-like being outside the ship at the base of the ramp as it rotated its eyestalks down to gaze at the newcomer.

"Trick or... treat?"

The command immediately triggered the small computer and it made a series of whirrs, beeps, and dings. The little flag on its shoulder swung out and raised for a moment. It made a backfiring noise and the flag dropped. The large red light above its eyes glowed as the exhaust port on the side belched a small cloud of steam.

Sapphira's long, fuzzy ears swivelled towards the top of the ramp. Now, all she had to wait for was an answer.

"You must be a trick-or-treater," The robot stated in a monotonous tone. Its words were evenly spaced without inflection as its eyes stayed locked on the dragon. "You have a lovely costume! What are you supposed to be?" There was another brief series of various machine noises followed by more steam and a backfiring noise. Then, it became silent again, awaiting a reply.
Flynn (played by Riik)

When Flynn got close to the ship, they found out that there was perhaps more life to this downed vessel than they had originally thought. Unaware of how creepy their flaking clown makeup looked, they maintained their trajectory.

The cause of that observation appeared to be an unusual collection of odd parts that seemed to contribute to the form of a mechanoid that was apparently addressing them. "Crew, huh?" Flynn asked, the mention of trick or treating causing them to gaze around their person as though trying to decide which of their pockets would work best as a candy receptacle. In the end, they turned their helmet upside down and held it at a casual position where they could quickly offer it outward at a moment's notice. "Wait... this means you've got candy, right...?" They stopped a few feet away and leaned in toward the machine, not quite getting as uncomfortably close as they often did to other intelligent entities just yet, but certainly getting curious.

Edit: Changed to match new rule.

KA stared at the being. "Candy?" It repeated. It tilted its eyes up toward the dark ceiling and made a series of computer noises. There was a ding, the red light above its eyes came on and the metal flag on its shoulder went up and down twice, swinging outward and back down like a train semaphore.

The eyes of the metal box lowered again toward Flynn after processing what they had just said. "You must be a trick-or-treater," It said in a monotone voice that sounded bored. "That is a very nice costume you have! What are you supposed to be?"

The machine made ding again, the flag bobbed up and down and it belched out a cloud of steam from the exhaust port on its side as it waited for input.
AgentMilkshake Topic Starter

Quick OOC note to all players: Past experience has shown that unless you are coordinating with another player ahead of time (you are roleplaying trick or treating as a group with someone else) that each scene needs to be written separately and independently from other players'. In other words, if other people are currently in scenes, assume their characters are not present when you show up. There is no need to wait for someone to finish their scene before you begin your post.

The reason for this is not every player realizes someone else has shown up and everyone is on their own schedule for posting. By treating each character's post independently of yours, it helps to keep the flow moving, and that way we don't have to worry about anyone else posting again before you make your next post.

Also, this RP is set up in such a way that anyone can drop the ship into their character's setting/world. Some characters may be in a different genre or place from your character's.

I have updated these instructions in the intro. at the top of the post. Thanks, and carry on!

Sivwikkas giggled at the bot's reply about their "costume." Its AI must not be too advanced, but it was trying its best with the inputs it was receiving! "Thank you," they squeaked. It was always good to be polite, even to toasters.

"I, um ..." The alien pulled off their backpack and began looking around for a likely "receptacle." There seemed to be a panel or door under the blinking eye-lights, and this seemed a likely spot as any. Wikkas opened their pack up as wide as it would go and held it just under KA's "chin."
Flynn (played by Riik)

"Costume?" Flynn asked in surprise, a hand immediately rushing to their face. And there it was. The clinging remnants of the powdery face paint that had been applied many hours ago, now settled on the fingertip of their glove. "Oh! Well! I'd totally forgotten about that! I'm a clown, actually! Well... half of a clown. I changed out of my costume when I got back to my ship... I was at a party, you see... gosh, I had totally forgotten about the face paint! I suppose that means my costume is now 'clown pilot'."

Flynn stepped closer and tentatively attempted to poke the robot on the top of its head. Had they ever in their living memory seen a model as primitive as this one? Even in a museum? It was hard to say. Flynn wasn't the kind to pay much attention to 'old' things. Ironic, given how old they were themselves.

Flynn wrote:
"Costume?" Flynn asked in surprise, a hand immediately rushing to their face. And there it was. The clinging remnants of the powdery face paint that had been applied many hours ago, now settled on the fingertip of their glove. "Oh! Well! I'd totally forgotten about that! I'm a clown, actually! Well... half of a clown. I changed out of my costume when I got back to my ship... I was at a party, you see... gosh, I had totally forgotten about the face paint! I suppose that means my costume is now 'clown pilot'."

Flynn stepped closer and tentatively attempted to poke the robot on the top of its head. Had they ever in their living memory seen a model as primitive as this one? Even in a museum? It was hard to say. Flynn wasn't the kind to pay much attention to 'old' things. Ironic, given how old they were themselves.

"You are the best half-clown pilot I have seen all night. That seems to be a popular costume... popular costume... popular costume..."

The small computer appeared to be stuck in a loop and needed a good bang on the top. It continued to glitch and repeat itself.

Sivwikkas wrote:
Sivwikkas giggled at the bot's reply about their "costume." Its AI must not be too advanced, but it was trying its best with the inputs it was receiving! "Thank you," they squeaked. It was always good to be polite, even to toasters.

"I, um ..." The alien pulled off their backpack and began looking around for a likely "receptacle." There seemed to be a panel or door under the blinking eye-lights, and this seemed a likely spot as any. Wikkas opened their pack up as wide as it would go and held it just under KA's "chin."

The creature removed its pack, apparently unsure of where the receptacle was. KA's eye stalks followed the being's every movement.

Finally, when the bag was under the robot's chin, its mouth opened and it spewed nuts, bolts, gears and other random parts into the bag. The eyes lowered, focused on the bag's opening.

Without a word, it raised its eyes back to Sivwikka's face as if awaiting an instruction after dumping the hardware in the bag.
Flynn (played by Riik)

Flynn leaned in close, almost pressing their face against what constituted as the equivalent on the robot's form. "Well that sounds like a programmed response... not so bright, huh, are ya?" They gave a shrug and practically pranced around the mechanoid for a single rotation, before leaning back in and firmly wrapping it on the top with a closed fist. "Hey-ooo! You still in there? Haven't gone all poo-brain on me have you?"

"Huh? Oh... " The computer stops skipping and turns its eyes toward the Flynn. "Are you here to trick-or-treat?" It asked after a moment. "Input needed." After another round of beeps and dings followed by a backfiring sound and another puff of steam. The squarish robot became quiet awaiting a reply.
Flynn (played by Riik)

"Didn't you already come to that conclusion?" Flynn asked, leaning in closer in a manner that would make most living beings uncomfortable. They weren't sure what was more intriguing. The fact that such a construct could still exist in this day and age or the behaviour this particular one was showing. "Actually I came here to salvage. But I have one golden rule: never say no to candy!"

Flynn hopped back a few steps and pirouetted on the spot. When they came to a halt, they held their helmet out at and arms length in both hands. "So... trick or treat, I guess!" They held the pose still for a moment, though their tail continued to wave left and right despite the fact.
Context
KA-TU2 wrote:
The spark leapt from the powerline and re-materialized as a tall, blue and purple demi-dragon with a pumpkin pail strapped to her tail. Slinking up to the ramp, Sapphira tapped a talon on the ramp three times.

KA was in idle mode when it heard the taps. It rolled to the ramp to investigate. There it saw a large dragon-like being outside the ship at the base of the ramp as it rotated its eyestalks down to gaze at the newcomer.

"Trick or... treat?"

The command immediately triggered the small computer and it made a series of whirrs, beeps, and dings. The little flag on its shoulder swung out and raised for a moment. It made a backfiring noise and the flag dropped. The large red light above its eyes glowed as the exhaust port on the side belched a small cloud of steam.

"You must be a trick-or-treater," The robot stated in a monotonous tone. Its words were evenly spaced without inflection as its eyes stayed locked on the dragon. "You have a lovely costume! What are you supposed to be?" There was another brief series of various machine noises followed by more steam and a backfiring noise. Then, it became silent again, awaiting a reply.

---

"Hm..." Sapphira put a talon to her chin. This toaster shaped robot might not be too bright. Its voice reminded her of the many text-to-speech readouts she heard when messing around with Google Translate. Maybe she should keep her words simple so it could understand her better? She hung the pumpkin pail in front of the robot, making sure it got a good look at her tail plates. "I'd say a crocodile spirit? Some places consider crocodiles dragons."

She drew a hologram of a crocodile and held the hologram next to her tail. Hopefully the robot could see the similarities between the crocodile's tail plates and her own scaly armor.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » Trick or Treat: KA-TU2 (CLOSED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus