Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: I’m a cop

Hi, y’all. I did one of these before, but it’s gotten buried over time. Ask me anything: I’m a female cop in small town Colorado.

NOTE: I do not want to talk politics. Sorry. Otherwise, ask away. 🤙🏻
I imagine it gets stressful quick to deal with folks having the worst days of their lives over and over again. How long have you been doing it? Do you need to actively combat burnout?
Have you ever been bribed with coffee and donuts by someone, just so you’d let them go free after you pulled them over for speeding?
bitteryeen Topic Starter

Juls wrote:
I imagine it gets stressful quick to deal with folks having the worst days of their lives over and over again. How long have you been doing it? Do you need to actively combat burnout?

My apologies for answering this super late, but better late than never, right? Good question. I’ve been in law enforcement in one form or another for almost four years. Part of that was in a county jail and the rest as a patrol officer. Burnout is really common in this profession, and on my weekends I try to leave work behind me or it really can consume you. I also don’t take anything anyone says or does personally. Because you’re right, oftentimes we deal with people in crisis. My partner is also in law enforcement and so that’s hugely helpful, because if I ever need to talk, she’s there and understands. I’d also be lying if I didn’t admit to compartmentalizing some of the harder things I see/deal with. It’s not always the healthiest approach, but I do go to therapy when necessary. tl;dr I try to clear my mind on my weekends and spend lots of time in nature!
bitteryeen Topic Starter

AlBhedie wrote:
Have you ever been bribed with coffee and donuts by someone, just so you’d let them go free after you pulled them over for speeding?

I haven’t been bribed with coffee and donuts ~yet~ hahah. I’m actually a big fan of letting folks off with a warning, I typically do not issue citations for speeding unless they are going 20 over.
miarup wrote:
AlBhedie wrote:

I haven’t been bribed with coffee and donuts ~yet~ hahah. I’m actually a big fan of letting folks off with a warning, I typically do not issue citations for speeding unless they are going 20 over.
You sound like a pretty nice cop! There's so many rude ones who want to abuse their power!
Aya

[Sorry if I'm replying late, I just saw that the topic isn't closed]

I just want to ask: What are some of the biggest misconceptions that Hollywood movies show about being a member of the Police Department? Which parts are dramatized or completely fictitious? I've just always wanted to know, but I don't have any cop friends lol.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: I’m a cop

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus