Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Write in your accent (OOC or IC)

The premise o' this game is actually pre'y simple. Just type somethin' in your accen'! Or alternatively, if y'd rather use a character instead, you're qui'e welcome t' post ICly.

Don'' worry abou' tryin'a match styles with everyone else. Just wri'e in a way tha' you think gets your accen' across best!
I awready tend t' do this, but guess I can turn it up a bit. I can't really express the part that most folks think stands out most, though, since what I say an' what they hear're diff'rint. The typical example is the word "bag." Where I live now, folks say it with a short a - like in "cat" or "bat." I say it with a long a - like in "Kate" 'r "bait." But what it sounds like t' folks here is that I'm using a short e for some reason - so it sounds like "beg" t' them.

My accent is also kinda inconsistent, since it's mostly just a matter of how "lazy" I'm talking. At leas' for what I can reasonably, readably relay here. Just a non-specific "American" accent? I guess a "midwest" (which is ach'lly still pretty east) accent...? But it's also super similar ta the wes' coas' accent (where that "bag" thing is about the only thing that stands out). Basically, we're the ones who'll insist most 'at we don't have an accent.
Riik Topic Starter

Alrigh', so I guess I kinda didn'' achally iden'ify my accen', so I'll go ahead and say tha' it's a lower North-West English one. Though I don'' really think of myself as English - par'ly because I'm a quarter Welsh, but also becus I'm a bi' of a northern seperatist... at least in the case of England (I feel the north of England is as culturally distinc' from the south as Wales and Scotland are; and there are a number of historical events that cemen' the divide). Tha' being said, I do support the recen' independence movement that wants full independence from the UK because the political system 'ere isn't really any be''er than the US, so if the only way to ge' out of i' is to leave the UK entirely, I'm all for i'. Tha' and the party's position on most issues coincides with my views and is the closest to my position of all the parties in the UK by far. Bu' I won'' go into tha', because politics.

I will also add tha' my dropped 't's aren'' actually as dramatic as it perhaps looks. But it's impossible to ge' the nuances through typing. I'm not scouse, if that's what you're thinking. I also tend to be a li''le inconsistan', depending on the flow of the sentence and the words around i'. And also who I'm talkin' to. I tend to speak more formally around strangers. Also you may notice that the 't's I drop are differen' to the ones dropped in the south of England. I'm not sayin' people 'round 'ere don'' drop the 't's in words like 'better' (because some do), but we're a lot more picky when it comes to dropping 't's mid-word. if the 't''s on the end of a word though... it's probably gone. And while I don'' tend to drop entire words all tha' much, it's very common 'round 'ere to drop any use of 'to the'. People might make fun of Yorkshire for condensing that to a simple 't'' (as in 'going t' pub'), but it's arguably worse here ('goin' pub'). You also hear a lo' of pluralising 'you' to 'yous' and I ha'e i' soooo much. If you wan' ta make me cringe... well there's an avenue.
Gorgutz (played anonymously)

OOLRIGHT LIZZEN 'ERE YA POSH DAFT 'UMIE GITZ! THIS 'ERE IZ CALLED THA ORKY SPEECH. ITZ THA BEZT SPEECH THERE BE CUZ ITZ THA GREENEZT AND THA BIGGEZT JUST LOIK A PROPA ORK. 'OW CAN YOU TELL IZ THA BIGGEZT? CUZ WHENEVA AN ORK TALKZ IS WIT' A BIG VOICE SO ALL THA BOYZ CAN 'EAR IM. UNLEZZ EZ SUM KINNA KOMMANDO GIT BUT WEZ NOT GONNA WORRY BOUT THAT CUZ IT WOULD CONFUZE YER PUNY UMIE BRAIN TRYIN TA EXPLAIN ALL THA ORKY NUANCES. SUFFIZE TA SAY THAT THA ORKY SPEECH WORKS THA BEZT CUZ EVERYONE IN THA GALAXY IMMEDIATLY RECOGNIZES IT AN ITZ LOUD AN CLEAR FER EVERYONE TA UNDERSTAND. WE ORKZ IZ ALSO VERY DIRECT BUT CAN BE STUBLE AN SNEAKY LIKE SO YA GOT OPTIONZ TO CALL SOMEONE A GIT OR ALLUDE THAT YA CALLZ EM A GIT AND IT'D BE UP TO THEM TA FIGURE IT OUT. THEREFORE PROVING WHETAH THEY IZ A GIT OR NOT.

AS FER OW CAN YA TELL THAT THA ORKY SPEECH IZ THA GREENEST? WELL, YER JUZT GONNA AVE TO TRUZT ME ON THAT CUZ YA WOULDN'T BE ABLE TA TELL UNLEZ YOU IZ A PROPA ORK LOIK ME!

NOW QUITZ MUCKING ABOUT AND GET BACK TA THA FIGHTIN'! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
ouh, sso I don' nead ta massk'it? ... okaii. thenk god. p'yeopl' nevva undyastand- meibi they styll won'. i don' ceya. it iss naisa' tyalkin' in the ol' lumen wei. hav'n don it in a whaile. prol'ly cuz i did'n talk for sev'n hunr'di yeas. whatev'va.

(HER ACCENT IS SO HARD TO WRITE. NO.)
The Jade Amethysts (played by randomentity777)

Tiffany: "Like, omigahd, girl, ya need to speak with words that ah undastahand. Ahm only here ta sing and dance and look good for all them men, right girls?"

Lisa: "Thïs ïs why Roxxïe ïs ïn charge, Tïff. You make Parïs Hïlton look like Stephen Hawkïng."
Other Characters (played anonymously)

Anizen Ronera

"Oh, zees looks fun!" Ani grinned. "Oll yeer occents seend really cool! My occent ees from Jerram! Some people zeenk my occent seends a beet veird. I suppose eet ees, but I don't zeenk onyone shoold be put down for zeir occent. Eet's only a port of who zey are! And I rozer like my occent! Eet's always fun to leesten to other people try ond speak een eet, don't yee zeenk?"

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Write in your accent (OOC or IC)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus