Group Toolbar Menu

Forums » Cooking » Stuffed Capsicum (Bell Pepper)

I was going through a 'recipe box' of sorts and digging up some old favourites. Som I hadn't made in quite some time. This recipe I made last in 2010, and it's due for another go, as i love it. The last time i did the 'full recipe' with the optionals and they were meals in themselves! I thought I woul dshare this one...

Stuffed Capsicum (Bell Pepper)

(Basic Recipe)
What you need:
  • 4 large capsicums (any colours)
  • 300 g mild Italian sausages
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
  • 1½ cups (285 g) cooked brown rice
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • ½ cup (60 g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese

Optionals:
  • 1½ cups (375 ml) tomato passata, warmed (for a mild fill)
  • 4 Tablespoons Taco Sauce, warmed (for spicier, add to above)
  • fresh crumbed bacon (mix with sausage while cooking it)
  • Crushed Garlic Clove
  • chopped onion
  • Lemon or lime zest (grated rind)
  • Basil
  • Fennel
Try with none, some, or all of the optionals, and/or add your own flavours! You can use pretty much anything you want really.

Preparation (15 minutes approx) & Cooking (40 minutes approx)
  • 1. Cut capsicums in half through the stem end. Scrape out membranes and seeds. Steam capsicums for 5 minutes to soften slightly. Finely chop usable part of capsicum tops.
  • 2. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Take sausage meat out of casings. If you're adding bacon, chop it into rough 1cm bits and cook in pan. When its nearly done, crumble sausage into pan. Add chopped capsicum tops and oregano. Cook sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it is browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Add rice, carrot and cheese.
  • 3. Preheat oven to 190°C. Place capsicums in 23 cm-square baking dish. Using a small spoon, fill each capsicum with cooked mixture. Cover with aluminium foil.
  • 4. Bake until capsicums are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve with tomato passata/taco sauce if desired.

Remove this ad

Sounds tasty! I like stuffed mushrooms. I haven't had stuffed bell pepper that I recall, but I've seen some tasty-sounding recipes for it, online and such :d
I made some stuffed Jalepenos the other day. Used a cheese, sausage, and bacon mix to stuff them.
Sounds good. Cheddar cheese?
I have used white vintage sharp cheddar before But I prefer Manchego.
Good taste. The cheese is important! :d
I think if you made tiny little enchiladas in them it would be cool. :P Just some tortilla and meat topped with cheese in a pepper.... >v>

Moderators: Banshee JayBird