Group Toolbar Menu

Forums » Baking » Apple Oatmeal Bars

Found a new recipe on Pinterest (but the recipe is actually on BuzzFeed) that looks absolutely wonderful, and easy. To be honest as I was making it this morning I realized that the recipe is very similar to that of a date square, just with apples in the centre rather than dates. These would be a great alternative to sugary squares or brownies. Hell, if they were made ahead of time I'd even serve them as a breakfast item for those busy mornings where you're hungry and don't have alot of time to make breakfast.

Apple Oatmeal Bars (copied right from BuzzFeed as I'm lazy)

INGREDIENTS
Makes: 12-15 bars

3 apples, thinly sliced (I used four, one small and three medium sized ones, imo the more apples, the better)

¼ cup sugar

1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 tablespoon cinnamon

2 cups flour

2 cups old-fashioned oats

1 cup brown sugar

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

¾ cup butter, melted

PREPARATION
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F (175˚C).

2. Place apple slices in a large bowl and gently mix in sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Set aside.

3. In another bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and butter. Mix until crumbly.

4. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper and pour ⅔ of the oats mixture in the bottom of the pan, pressing firmly to pack it down to make a crust.

5. Pour apples over the crust and spread in an even layer. Pour the remaining oat mixture over the top and spread evenly.

6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

7. Cool completely before cutting.

8. Enjoy!

I will update this post to share the results as they're baking right now.

Remove this ad

Good, a little in the bland side maybe use more cinnamon and a more tart apple than a Macintosh.

have a lookie :)
Those look delicious! Thank you for sharing. :) I bet they would be good with some cloves, as well.
If you're a fan of nuts, do you think they would disturb the texture? (*chanting* almonds! Almonds! Almonds!)

Moderators: Banshee JayBird