Posted by Kim on January 13, 2021, 10:30amMany groups have one main topic for most of their OOC chatter. As these topics tend to be very active, group members' notifications get spammed terribly, resulting in too many notifications and all kinds of strange behavior on the homepage.
As of today, the "official chat topic" designation for groups has been revived! You can once again designate a topic as the Official Chat Topic. This means a much more limited number of notifications will be generated by this topic, so your group members don't end up with broken homepages.
In order to designate a chat topic for your group...
- Navigate to your Your Stuff » Groups
- Click the edit button (pencil icon) next to the group's name.
- You will be taken to the group's management overview page. Choose the "forums" link.
- Switch to the "Forum Settings" tab at the top.
- Click the "Select chat topic" button.
- Type the topic's name into the search bar and wait for the results to show. Find your chat topic in the list, click it to select it, then click "Save chat topic" to confirm.
- Congratulations, you now have your official chat topic!
There's a second benefit to designating an official chat topic for your group -- it activates the "Quick Chat Launch" widget for your group, allowing you to put a button on any group page or sidebar that whisks people to your main chat topic.