Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Mature Student Essay

TheLily

Hey, so I'm applying to university and I just found out the essay I wrote a month a bit ago won't cut it. Sooooo... I would like someone who doesn't know me to edit it. And not rip me to pieces. I'm a delicate little special butterfly who cries easily.

I need some tips on either how to improve it or what to change. I think it's pretty decent, since all it has to do is show that I'm mature enough to apply as an adult, rather than a student.

Also, I'm Canadian, so those aren't typos you see in the essay, just the uniquely Canadian way of spelling things. (ie half British and half American!)

Any takers?
Yuka

Wouldn't someone from the university you are intending to get into be more qualified to do this? I don't know about Canadian universities, but British ones (or at least, at the one I'm in) generally frown on someone else actually editing essays unless it is just a proof-read - not actually editing it.
It's my understanding that the proper 'Canadian' way of spelling is supposed to be entirely British.

Also, I'd have to agree with Disducibus. Some stranger from the internet would, more likely than not, give you worse critique than a qualified person. Not to mention, you might encourage someone to 'rip you to pieces' (tastefully, of course), so that you learn something along the way and get the most out of it.
Ficklerich wrote:
It's my understanding that the proper 'Canadian' way of spelling is supposed to be entirely British.

Also, I'd have to agree with Disducibus. Some stranger from the internet would, more likely than not, give you worse critique than a qualified person. Not to mention, you might encourage someone to 'rip you to pieces' (tastefully, of course), so that you learn something along the way and get the most out of it.

Most of the time, that is true, though sometimes the three countries have different spelling, or Canada and America have the same vs England's version
Here look at this site and you can see the differences
http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm
TheLily Topic Starter

Because it's for my application, I have no access to the student resources. I don't want it to be edited by a friend because most of them will just tell me "Looks good". The only one of my friends I can really trust is my husband, but he will rip into it. He's a bit harsh sometimes -_-

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Mature Student Essay

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus