Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Characters for a Graphic Novel: Maturity criticism

A while ago, I wrote a large book based on a lot of my characters. I'm actually fairly happy with the story, but... Neither of my BETA readers could seem to get through it all the way. To make matters worse, my former boss is INSISTING I turn it into a graphic novel. I really hate the idea, because it basically means starting over and doing even more work than I put into my book. It doesn't help that I'm a mediocre artist. She says either that, or add pictures to my book, another idea I really don't like as it will downgrade the maturity of the book. I'm trying to write a book for young adults, but kids and adults can read too.

But since she insists on a graphic novel, I'm trying to design my characters to look more mature. I got two versions of the story's main protagonist, a unicorn rabbit hobo named Benny. It's about his struggles in a dark society filled with magic and villains, as well as friends who are more powerful than him. Unlike most stories, the main hero isn't a super-powerful being or a hopeful hero, he's a scrawny, malnourished wimp. At the same time, he's a very kind and gentle soul, and even he gets his fair share of action.

Benny_Normal_and_Mature.jpg

On the left is the normal style I've been working with. On the right is my attempt at a more mature style. Which do you like more?

I'm also looking for ways to mature the style further. Two things I will not do, however. I will not give my characters breasts or anything like that. That's going... a little more mature than I want. More importantly, however, I will NOT turn any of my characters into humans/humanoids. There's so many stories out there staring them, I don't enjoy drawing or writing about them, and I would really love to put something different out there into the media.
MugoUrth Topic Starter

Benny_in_another_style.jpg
Benny_in_yet_another_style.jpg

Tried two different styles.

The first one tries to take inspiration of old cartoons. It also gives Benny gloves and a single shoe, and adds smudges under his eyes.

The second tries to be a bit more gritty, going farther outside my comfort zone. I kept the smudges and gave him a bindle-sack as well.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Characters for a Graphic Novel: Maturity criticism

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus