Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Movin' on up.

Minerva

So as you might know, I've been living in borderline third world conditions for the last four years in a town known for nothing but a nationally broadcast racial TRAVESTY, not just crime. We moved to the Houston area as my husband got a new job, but spent our time in a tent. Today, we are moving into our new apartment. Clean, fresh, and everything works (except the a.c., which they are fixing right now.) It's a fresh start to life, with a great future. For those of you who RP with me, that means that once we get settled, it won't be long until we get a solid internet connection. Our rent is barely over 1/5 of what he's earning at starting wage which is expected to be up by at least 3$ an hour within half a year. All those times I've told people to hang in there and that tides will change, this is perfect evidence it works. I'm feeling good... If sweaty. I can't wait to SHOWER. It's the simple things in life people take for granted. Lately, I've learned what it's like to live in the woods, to not bathe, (c)
Minerva Topic Starter

To pee in the woods like an animal--I've experienced near death being unable to breathe, and got an infection where I couldn't pee. Can you breathe, pee, bathe, and sleep inside? Never take that for granted. Enjoy life. This experience has made me a stronger person who will surely appreciate the good that comes to my life.
Tyr

Huzzah! This is a great message, something I very much agree with. Sometimes crappy things happen, but eventually things do get better. It may not be easy, and it may take awhile, but with persistence and a good attitude, anything is possible. :) Enjoy your new apartment.
I am sooooo happy for you and glad that you are finally inside again. Miss you guys a lot. I will actually be coming to Houston sometime next week to a dairy queen. Hope to see you guys while I'm down there.! :)
Minerva Topic Starter

Thanks. It really does, Tyr. And I miss you too, cookie! North houston hopefully? I can give you the address and see if you can swing in! Apparently the people who installed our a.c. Installed it to the downstairs breaker somehow so I have to wait. However, the very nice maintanance man gave me the key to the old office which still has a.c., so I can cool off. Just got the call that the couches are about to be picked up, then delivered, too! 25$ for lifetime furniture sofa and fold out sofabed set together. Costs more to move than buy! Beautiful condition. Totally it'll probably have run me about 150. For, essentially, two couches and a king size bed. Not a raw deal!
Naln (played anonymously)

Gosh, those conditions are unappealing and I'm glad you're finding your way back to a better life, but don't you think it's a little disrespectful to compare what is, essentially, camping to third world country living conditions? I am sure it has been a difficult time for you, but homeless people who lack even a tent usually find themselves under better circumstances than these countries. I don't think such statements ought to be thrown about lightly. :(
Minerva Topic Starter

Homeless people typically pick areas where they can, say, have working public bathrooms, which have been unavailable as at least two people on these forums can confirm... rather than trying to hide the smell of raw sewage while working and not showering right, and fight off snakes and vermin inside your area. Third world countries do, indeed, tend to have huts. Camping is a very friendly word for what it has been. But, y'know, it's easy to not understand until you're peeing in tupperware or pooping in a bag, yourself. :)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Movin' on up.

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus