Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Computer stuff?

Minerva

I come seeking the wisdom of the great intraweb technology gods.

Kay this laptop is about four years old. A friend gave it to me about a year ago, etc etc. It recently started saying DANGER WILL ROBINSON, or thereabout. Instead, it gave me a notice I had never seen before, "There is a problem with your battery. Your computer may suddenly shut down. Consider replacing your battery." Unplugged, it had like a 40 minute battery life, and odder yet at times if it was allowed to drain a few percent before being plugged, the "fully charged" indicator light would be on while the computer displayed, say, 98% charged, not charging.

Okay. Well we got a new battery. The expected life is about one hour, 40 minutes. Real cheap battery, but for this computer, y'know. Thing is, it was unplugged for a few seconds, it got plugged in, and it's still reading "97%, not charging." Is this an indicator something is more deeply wrong with the computer? Is there some simple fix I can apply that may resolve this? Has anyone had this problem before and could anyone know what the symptoms infer? Or is my computer coming out of having a cold and is just acting stupid and clogged up not knowing what to do with the new battery? I'unno!

Halp.";
Sanne Moderator

Is the battery the same type as the one you replaced? Sometimes, if you replace things like batteries in phones and laptops with a different battery and it's not the exact same type/brand, it can cause issues, especially if it's a cheap replacement. Not always, but it happens.

My own netbook right now says 97% available (plugged in, not charging) with the green light to tell me it's fully charged. This is normal behavior because 1. batteries wear down over time and the capacity for them decrease naturally, 2. I keep my netbook plugged in 99% of the time, so the battery never gets 'used' and this decreases capacity as well. I think it has to do with crystallization of a component in the battery of the sections that don't get dis/charged.

Simply put, what your old battery was doing with charging/not charging is normal. Is your new battery new new, as in you bought it from a store and it was still in its original, unopened packaging? Or is it a second hand battery you got cheap?

If your laptop has no other issues and when plugged in it runs just fine and charges otherwise, I suggest you try allowing your battery to run out. Especially if it's new, just let it drain once to the point where your laptop shuts down by itself, then charge it again until it's full. This may restore the reading to go back to 100%.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Computer stuff?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus