Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Questions)

xUsagix

Hi! Ok so I have some questions about the animated movie "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". If you haven't watched this movie... Then you won't know what I'm talking about.

I know these questions will seem pretty dumb but I looked everywhere and there aren't answers! So if you understand this movie then please reply and help me here. XD

Ok I understand the entire movie until close to the end, when Makoto gets a text saying that her friend, Kousuke, saying that he is borrowing her bike with his girlfriend. Now, Makoto starts having a panic attack thinking that the train is going to hit them, just like it hit her at the beginning of the movie before she first time leaped. So she runs out of the school and to the train station to try and save them before they get hit. Turns out, they aren't there and they never got hit. <.<. So she gets a phone call from her other fiend, Chiaki, which he asks if she's been time leaping. She again, panics and time leaps again back to before he called her so she can prevent him from asking her. She used up all her time jumps now. Then she sees Kousuke and his girlfriend passing her down the hill with her faulty bike, which they are now about to get hit by the incoming train.

WHAT?! Why weren't they there before?! They weren't there when she got the phone call from Chiaki. Which she time leaped back and now they are there about to get hit by the train? I don't understand. It shows Kousuke's girlfriend has a bandage/cast around her sprained ankle, which means that they already went to Kousuke's house to get it fixed up (And if you watched the movie, you would know what I'm taking about). So then now he's riding down the hill with her bike. Also, before when Makoto got the phone call from Chiaki when Kousuke didn't show up, Chiaki said that Kousuke was still at his house with his girlfriend. Was Makoto to early on the first event when he didn't crash? And too late on the second event when he did crash because she thought he wasn't going to? Anyway, that's really confusing me.

AND also, At the end Chiaki whispers to Makoto that he'll be waiting for her. Ok, a lot of people don't understand that but I do...well I did. I just thought that she would grow up and they would meet again in the future since Chiaki is from the future and had to go back (Which Makoto would be an old woman and Chiaki would still be a teenage boy) But then.... I gave it some thought and realized... If Chaiki goes back to the future and lives his life from there since he can't just freeze time and wait for her.. And Makoto keeps living in her time, which is the past then wouldn't Chiaki and Makoto never meet up? Because Chiaki keeps living and Makoto keeps living, which Chiaki is still going on with his life in the future and Makoto is living in the past trying to catch up to him but he's still going into time...?

Yeah, that's all I'm confused about. So if someone could explain this to me it would be great! ;3 And sorry... I know I spelt their names wrong. :/

xUsagix
Ok, I have to re watch the movie to answer the first question, but I can answer the second, about him saying they'll meet again.

Well part of it anyways.

Now, theres two ways he can say this and know what will happen.

Since he's a time traveler, he might have looked into the future, seeing them get together. OR and this is where it gets really hard.

Now the best way to do this is to picture your life in chapters of a book. Lets say each chapter is a year. When he goes back in time, he might have left a future Makoto in his time, a later chapter. Two different Makotos. Both are the same, but the future Makoto is, well, from the future. And for all we know, they could meet the next day, just the present day Chiaki, who wouldn't actually know Makoto. She would then have to ask him out herself. He said they'll meet again, because he remembers them getting together.

Its really hard to explain, but I hope this makes a bit of sense.
xUsagix Topic Starter

Ok. I think I understand! Thank you very much. Now I can watch the movie in not so much confusion anymore. ;3 Thanks again!

xUsagix

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Questions)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus