Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The War Of The Rohirrim

Dunhama (played by Rogue-Scribe) Topic Starter

Dunhama looked to Runhild who had leaned against his shoulder. He felt their doom lay to the east in the days ahead.

"Yes, quite dark., and darker still will the days be."

He turned to Runhild and gave her a solomn look. He then said,

"My heart would be hopeless and my spirit would waver but for you Runhild. An ember now lights my way to see this through, and I hold to hope."

He felt nervous and he sipped a rather large mouthfull of wine.

he then said,

"It will be an honour to ride to war beside you Runhild of Edoras."
Runhild (played by Skrifa)

Runhild nodded slowly. "Aye. And an honor it will be to ride with you, Dunhama."

She wrapped her arms around him, her head against his chest, listening to the music seeping out from the Hall and the wind whistling softly past. Her eyes closed.

"We'll make it out alive. We did it once..." she swallowed, trying her best to believe her own words. "We can do it again."

Dunhama seemed to be filled with Runhild's courage. Yes, they survived Helms Deep. But it was a set fortress, and Dunhama felt this next fight would be on open ground. He wrapepd his arms around Runhild's back and held her gently,

"We will make it through, we will win this fight, and we will stand together on the field of victory!"

Dunhama swayed slightly to the music escaping from the hall. The quietness of this night would be too soon gone, and he didn't want it to pass.

"We will do it again Runhild."

He said in a whisper...

"I certainly hope so," Runhild agreed softly. She took a deep breath, stepping back to look at him, taking his hands in his own. "Though I fear we will be greatly changed, when this all comes to pass."

If it all comes to pass. She thought. What if they lost the war, and everything stayed dark and black? She had heard rumors of what the strangers were here to do...if they failed, the world would turn to something far worse than what had taken place in years past.

Dunhama held Runhild's hands and looked into her eyes as she spoke. He nodded,

"Yesh greatly changed, even as Helms Deep changed us."

His mind went off to the battles, but he came back to Runhild after a moment. He fellt his insides churn at the thoughts that passed through him, and he drew closer to Runhild as he drew her hands up to his chest. He then lifted one and kissed the back of her palm.

Runhild felt warmth rise to her cheeks at the touch of his lips. She stood there a moment, eyes downcast, a demure smile sliding onto her face. She ran her thumbs over the back of Dunhama's hands, feeling every crease, every vein. Oddly shy, she reached up and planted a gentle kiss upon his lips.

Dunhama drank in her gentle lips and returned her kiss with a little more passion. When they broke, he took a breath.

"Lady Runhild, should this war come to an end, and we both stand on the field of victory, know that I would stand before you and ask you to be my wife. I have no land, or anything of value really, but All I am, I will give to you."

Dunhama couldn't believe he was so bold as to say those words, yet the doom that was upon them was seemingly insurmountable. None-the-less, time of war breaks many things, and also bonds many things.

"Dunhama, love, I could care less if you were a king, a prince, or an emperor who ruled the entire world we know of," she said quietly. "Dirt could be your domain, and I would still have you for my husband. You are ten times the men of the Mark. I would have no other than you."

She cupped his face in her hands, a smile upon her face. "I believe it is no coincidence that our lives have entertwined, Dunhama."

Dunhama smiled, and he couldn't let it go. "Runhild my betrothed, your words sing to my heart, and I am the most blessed man in Rohan."

He set his hands on her hips and drew her close, giving her a gently kiss, long and slow, before resting his head against hers in their embrace. "We must now get this war won and over with."

Runhild's eyes fluttered closed, wrapping her arms around his waist. Her heart was in a frenzy with joy.

"Aye." she whispered. "That we must."

Even so, she wished to linger in this moment forever. If she could, she would, but the world is cruel and time passes quickly. She held onto Dunhama even tighter for a moment, savoring his presence.

Dunhama held Runhild to him and kissed her head. "The war will be here tomorrow my love. Will you lay with me this night in the peace that we have?'

He had no idea where they would go. All he knew was he wanted to hold his betrothed to him and rest as long as possible until the call to muster came the next day.
Durian (played by Rogue-Scribe) Topic Starter

Far to the northwest, several riders shrouded in grey cloaks rode swiftly toward the Fords of Isen. They were the Dunedain, Rangers of the north. There were thirty who answered the call of Halbarad, and with them rode Elledan and Elrohir, the sons of Elrond. They had come with speed to aid their chieftain, lord Aragorn. Durina was one of the Rangers, leaving his wife and unborn child in the north. He was grim, and he sought vengence on the dark forces that had called him away when he wished to be home.

Runhild beamed, her hands clasped in his. "Aye, my love. I would have it no other way." She turned on her heel, leading him up the slopes to the now quiet home of her mother's, who had set out for the evening; most likely for the tavern. Runhild cupped Dunhama's face in her hand and gently planted a kiss on his lips.

Dunhama followed Runhild to the house she knew, and when they were inside, he melted with the kiss she gave him. He was not thinking clear, but they were about to go into battle, and the kiss she gave him was so calming. He returned her kiss with more passion, his hands sliding around her waist and up her back to press between her shoulders.

When the kiss broke, he looked into her eyes and he took deep breaths. "Runhild my lady, these moments will pass to soon. May we make the most of these which we have..." He kissed her again, his breaths causing his chest to heave.

Runhild managed a sort of hum, followed by a breathless "Yes," as she fell into the kiss, her own breath low and heavy. She found comfort in his strength and touch, and again, the threat that loomed over their heads seemed to dissolve.

She held him tightly, fingertips tracing along his jaw, down his back, over his arms and chest, creating a mental map as they kissed. A small sigh brushed past her lips, carrying a whispered "I love you" through the still night air.

Dunhama took a deep breath hearing her words and feeling her lips against his, Her fingers made him tingle, and he paused and looekd in her eyes as his hand brushed her cheek and hair. "I love thee Runhild..."

He hated this wor. He wanted to just be selfish and run off with Runhild and forget it all. But that would be expeced of one with Dunlanding blood. No, he would ride to war and return victorious and live out life with Runhild, his beloved. He kissed her again with more passion and wrapped his arms around her and held her close to him.

Durian was grim in the Rangers camp they early morning. Before the summons came, he had only been home with his wife for five days, and she told him she was with child. He didn’t want to leave her, and the parting was hard. Durian wanted to get this evil business done and return to her as soon as he could.

Runhild held on tightly, her head resting on his chest. Soon, the night would come to an end, and the war would be upon them, heavier than ever. Helm's Deep was only the beginning of the storm. But this would not be the end. She refused to give up what she had just fought for, just received. How odd, that such dark times brought people together.

But these times would not end what had just begun, she vowed. It would not take this away from them.

And so it was the two spent their time together before riding to war. If the great battle of the Pelennor Fields, much is told elsewhere. For Runhild and Dunhama, little was known. The last anyone saw of either of them, they rode into battle with the charge and fought hard and slew many orcs. But the chaos of the battle had gotten them separated, and no account of any of the survivors told of them.

It was said by one soldier that Dunhama was seen on his horse swinging his Dunlanding axe at the Easterlings that charged him and those around him. He was the last man on his horse when a volley of arrows from Haradian archers atop a mumakil beast when he fell. But his body was never found, nor that of Runhild.

As the years passed, the lore of Rohan spoke of the two having found each other wounded on the battlefield, they slipped away into the mountains together where they lived out their days in peace. It was the best outcome to be imagined, for their true fates will forever remain unknown.

Eplogue
I had let this tale slip from my attention over the year, and with life and all, Skifra has left the site. All the best to you my friend!

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The War Of The Rohirrim

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus